What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu is a muppet: Cannon

StEely Matt

Juniors
Brendan Cannon lets rip at code switcher Timana Tahu

By Brendan Cannon

May 23, 2010

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27165681-23214,00.html

I've never met Timana Tahu, but here is a collection of thoughts that sprang to mind when I heard him rate the NSW Origin jumper ahead of the Wallaby jersey last week.
Space cadet, peanut, pelican, impostor, mercenary and muppet.

Upon closer inspection, I discovered Timana has a serial case of foot-in-mouth disease dating back to well before he switched codes to chase the lure of more cash in rugby union.

Tahu is a classic example of the old analogy about people who hunt with the hounds and run with the foxes.

Here are some pearls of wisdom from the world according to Timana.

After selling out on the NRL: "Coming across to Super 14 no one really knows how I play, which is probably a bonus for me."

Or in early 2009, when the word got around he was looking to quit and head back to league, another gem: "I don't miss the game at all. I won't be going back. To go back to rugby league now I don't think I would have the spark that I had a couple of years ago.

"In rugby, you don't see as much of the ball but, skill-wise, I've become a better player. I've learned how to pass, kick and play both sides of the field. In certain situations I play first receiver, sometimes I'm on the wing or I might be at fullback."

And what about this dig at his old NRL brethren: "In rugby union, our players have other things to worry about than getting on the piss. They have uni degrees or go to uni and they're occupied with life outside of football. When I played league I did nothing but play league. Union is setting me up for something more."

Tahu went on to outline how he was studying for a business diploma and hoped to work in sports management upon retirement.

Wow. Truly, special stuff.

Righto, Timana, my go.

Firstly, you can start by handing back your Wallaby jumper and forfeiting the number you were given when you ran on for your first cap.

Next, we'll reduce the number of capped Wallabies from 836 to 835, because playing for Australia obviously meant so little to you.

Every capped Wallaby, starting from the great Patrick "Paddy" Carew in 1899, would be ashamed with your lack of respect.

Thirdly, let's have a look at your form in the 15-a-side game. Mate, you spent more time with the West Harbour Pirates or warming the Waratahs bench than you did in any Wallaby camp. And you got paid $400,000 a year.

I had to laugh when I read your quote about, "coming across to Super 14, no one really knows how I play, which is probably a bonus for me".

Mate, you didn't even know how you played rugby union! Hilarious.

Rugby fans only have to remember the Test you played against South Africa in Pretoria for a reminder of your career in the Wallaby gold.

That was the day we found out that two extra players on the field was two too many for you.

It was like you were playing on your own. The Springboks kept running around you, inside and out. You looked like a deer in the headlights.

If that's the reason you rate your NSW Origin jerseys ahead of the Wallaby jumper, maybe I can begin to try to understand where the dribble that spouts out of your mouth originates from.

Hang on, no, sorry, I can't.

One thing I'll never grasp about rugby league - and this isn't intended to be a shot at the code - is how playing for the Kangaroos is secondary to playing for NSW or Queensland in Origin.

Look at the fanfare State of Origin is currently generating compared to the treatment the Anzac Test received in Melbourne this month.

Origin is everything, which for me, is just all wrong.

It's a sad reflection when you openly have some of the game's finest athletes endorsing playing for their state ahead of playing for their country wearing the green and gold.

I just don't get that. In rugby union, the golden pathway everyone wants to follow is to play for the Wallabies.

So Tahu should hang his head in shame. And while I've still got hold of him, let me add this.

Of the league converts who have become dual internationals, Tahu is by far the worst.

The others - Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri and Mat Rogers - warranted selection and absolutely loved playing for their country.

You could see it in their eyes at the 2003 World Cup, on a world stage.

Tahu struggled in a game he obviously felt he would be able to master standing on his ear.

Eels Dude

Coach
Haha i'm not even going to bother replying to that. Post the same article in the NRL forum Steely, I think NRL fans in general would be interested in reading that.

eel4life

Juniors
funny thing is i have never heard of the muppet who wrote the article ...

ps .. tahu knows the better game and he is in it right now ...

Bigfella

Coach
Tahu has more talent in his left toe than Brendan cannon had in his whole body.

Meanwhile all nsw And qld will watch origin while the Australian super 14 season ended anonymously at 4 in the morning. Joke.

Forty20

First Grade
As a supporter of the Tahs (parramatta is number 1 of course!) I can safely say that the only reason he was on the bench beyond injury was due to the incompetence of the coaching staff. How someone like Tom Carter was ahead of him caused much scratching of my head.

One Waratah I wouldn't mind seeing in blue and gold is Rob Horne. If Josh Dugan had grown up a centre instead of a fullback, he would probably be something like Horne. Very exciting prospect indeed.

As for Cannon, all I can say is that at least our muppet ex-player commentators are funny (if for all the wrong reasons) unlike the dribble he excretes.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Tahu will do what ever is necessary to keep the media off his back and away from his family. I know this for a fact.

Spot On

Coach
I dont see a problem with Tahu's quotes..

"In rugby union, our players have other things to worry about than getting on the piss. They have uni degrees or go to uni and they're occupied with life outside of football. When I played league I did nothing but play league. Union is setting me up for something more."

Probably not the nicest thing he could have said about league. He probably wouldn't say something like that now.

Y2Eel

First Grade
"In rugby union, our players have other things to worry about than getting on the piss. They have uni degrees or go to uni and they're occupied with life outside of football. When I played league I did nothing but play league. Union is setting me up for something more."

Probably not the nicest thing he could have said about league. He probably wouldn't say something like that now.

But its true he hasnt made anything up or stated things he cannot back up unlike this Cannon guy...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Who is Brendan Cannon??? Talk about having a sook, Tahu is just speaking the truth. Onion has nothing like Origin and we all know it is the premiere footy played in the country. Onion has nothing like it the Bloodyslow test just can't compete.

Captain BF

Juniors
I heard Hadley on the radio today tearing into Tahu for his comments. Of course Fulton & Brohmann agreed and played along...

I heard Hadley on the radio today tearing into Tahu for his comments. Of course Fulton & Brohmann agreed and played along...
he's always tearing into someone :roll: pissy little stan zemanek wannabe
i bet he wouldnt say boo to timana's face much safer hiding behind a microphone isnt it ray? and why the hell are you agreeing fulton YOU PICKED HIM
ive only ever been a part time listener to his show while im driving but maybe its time his audience went down by one

Gronk

Staff member
Cannon, whilst bagging Tah, inadvertenty raised further interest in the SoO. Thanks Brendan !