What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

millersnose

Post Whore
oh for f**k sake

if he was fat he would call him a fat f**k
if he was bald he would call him a bald f**k
if he was freckely he would call him a freckely f**k
if he was short he would call him a short f**k
if he was irish he would call him a irish f**k
if he was pommy he would call him a pommy f**k

talk about a blow up out of proportion

i call shennanigans by tahu

dont know what his story is - perhaps he wants into politics after his 15 minutes are up

bluey

Bench
The whole thing is a Circus, for Mal to allegedly say that QLD pick a side on form not skin color basically insinuating that the nsw selectors are racist.
The NSW selectors should sue his ass, bad form Mal.
See how messy this sort of stuff becomes it would have been easier for TT just to talk with joey one would think.

Doomednow

Bench
The whole thing is a Circus, for Mal to allegedly say that QLD pick a side on form not skin color basically insinuating that the nsw selectors are racist.
The NSW selectors should sue his ass, bad form Mal.
See how messy this sort of stuff becomes it would have been easier for TT just to talk with joey one would think.

I don't think that the NSW guys do pick on skin colour but...

I wouldn't be upset if they lost their jobs over this. It looks like they will never lose them for being rubbish at their jobs.

nqcowboy87

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27270320-5018993,00.html

eau Scott expecting tough encounter with Greg Inglis despite race row
By Andrew Webster
June 15, 2010
Andrew Johns was right: Beau Scott must shut down Greg Inglis in Origin II Wednesday night. If only he had delivered it another way.

Speaking for the first time since the racism furore that has engulfed the NSW camp, Scott said he didn't care what effect Johns' remarks have had on Inglis and whether it has made his assignment -- on debut -- any harder.

"I'm expecting a tough encounter regardless of what has happened," Scott said.

"I'm not sure, to tell you the truth, how (Inglis) will react. I don't know him personally. I don't know how he'd react to that sort of controversy.

"(But) I feel like I'm ready for it. Anything he throws at us, we'll be ready for it. I haven't got much to say on what's happened in the camp -- but I'll be pumped up regardless of what's happened. It's hard not to be."

Johns had allegedly told Scott during a drinking session last Wednesday night: "Shut the black **** down."

The line prompted NSW winger Timana Tahu to storm out, Johns to quit in shame and has raised the possibility of Inglis completely tearing Origin II apart. Or struggling with the emotion of it all.

Either way, Scott didn't need Inglis to be handed the added motivation.

Indeed, Inglis provided some needle as news of Johns' racist sledge filtered through, when he said this of Scott and Tahu's replacement, Joel Monaghan: "You can find a man out pretty quick in their first game of Origin. It is a different stage and it is a big arena."

Scott was unaware of the comment Monday, but said he was under no illusion about the task at hand.

"I haven't heard anything to tell you the truth," he said. "He's world class. He's one of the best. Credit where credit is due. He's very gifted and pretty tough to handle, it will be a good challenge."

The confidence Scott can take on to that stage is how he has played against Inglis in their past two encounters at club level, when Dragons coach Wayne Bennett has shifted Scott to the right edge because of his renowned toughness in defence.

When the centres clashed in round four, the Storm triumphed but Scott made more metres, tackle breaks and offloads than the Kangaroos three-quarter. Same thing in round 21 last season.

"Yeah, a bit of experience helps," Scott said.

"Every occasion is different. It's what you do on the night that counts."

The problem for Scott is that when Inglis decides to steps up in a headline match, he's usually the one grabbing the headlines.

Inglis can attract criticism for sleepy performances during the grind of the season, yet the greater the occasion, the more that massive chest puffs out and the right-hand fend starts brushing aside defenders like they are fruit flies.

Adversity often steels his resolve, although those close to him are concerned how the past few drama-fuelled days will affect him.

Aside from Johns' racist remarks, Inglis has this week been dealing with the sudden death of his 30-year-old cousin Michael Dungay. He was given special permission by coach Mal Meninga to leave the squad on Thursday following the death.

That said, he came up with the money plays in the Storm's grand final win over the Eels last year with an assault charge relating to an incident involving girlfriend Sally Robinson.

A week later, he faced court over the incident before flying out for the Four Nations tour of England and France . . . and then mesmerised the crowds whenever he touched the ball. The charges were dropped.

Scott doesn't need reminding. "Well, he's played in plenty of them," he deadpanned. "And played some pretty good football in them, too."

i dont see why inglis would come after beau scott he didnt say anything

gottabegood

Juniors
Johns is an untouchable ....in the game.... how did u think he evaded drug detection all his playing days ,....

Speaking up against people in power is very hard...

why do you think preist get away with molesting cause everyone keep quite ....no one wants to raise it

Lets not get over the top here, attacking racism/racist is not exactly in it's infancy.

Hence no matter who he was, let alone a footballer, if somebody said Black whatever, he should have been dealt with. Also Tahu was a rep player, so he was pretty "powerful" as well.

If he continued to do it, he should of then spoken to his employers for further action. Did this happen?

Again, what about all the other people that would of heard him say this time and again......I guess that makes them collaborators.

If this is the first time he has addressed this issue, I don't agree with the public way he has gone about it. And on reflection, I think Tahu may regret it one day.

Dazzat

First Grade
If this is the first time he has addressed this issue, I don't agree with the public way he has gone about it. And on reflection, I think Tahu may regret it one day.

Maybe his only regret is that he didn't do something earlier. I think Joey worship within the NSW camp made the public stand necessary.

Case in point ... have you ever encountered someone who is obviously rorting within an organisation, but is the boss's best mate? In that circumstance will a little chat one-on-one fix the problem? Not likely!

kmav23

Juniors
Lets not get over the top here, attacking racism/racist is not exactly in it's infancy.

Hence no matter who he was, let alone a footballer, if somebody said Black whatever, he should have been dealt with. Also Tahu was a rep player, so he was pretty "powerful" as well.

If he continued to do it, he should of then spoken to his employers for further action. Did this happen?

Again, what about all the other people that would of heard him say this time and again......I guess that makes them collaborators.

Its not Tahu's job or responsibilty to talk to Johns... The NSWRL management and officials who heard it should of taken immediate action..sack Johns

Johns has lost respect of many players black and white for making personal attacks on another players colour....

How stupid is Johns to make racist comments when black players in his team ? the arrogance and stupidity he can do anything he wants

I guess we all should not be suprised he took drugs all his playing days... when going to school speaking to kids...

The fact that Johns first defence was that the comments werent directed at Tahu shows Johns arrogance....

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes what John's said was bad but do you go off and sulk or confront someone. Tahau could of spoke to him face to face or approached management IF no response adequately then leave but make a complaint so it doesn't happen again.

He should tell Joey to his face he's a dick head prick,smack him in the gob if he reckons Johns deserves it and get then get on with his job of playing footy.

If you're less than about 13 I can understand you thinking this might be a good idea.

As you grow up you'll find punching people in the face doesn't actually win many arguments or achieve a hell of a lot.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yes what John's said was bad but do you go off and sulk or confront someone. Tahau could of spoke to him face to face or approached management IF no response adequately then leave but make a complaint so it doesn't happen again.

Why make a complaint to make sure it does not happen again? Surely what Tahu did means IT IS FAR less likely to happen again.

gottabegood

Juniors
Its not Tahu's job or responsibilty to talk to Johns... The NSWRL management and officials who heard it should of taken immediate action..sack Johns

Johns has lost respect of many players black and white for making personal attacks on another players colour....

How stupid is Johns to make racist comments when black players in his team ? the arrogance and stupidity he can do anything he wants

I guess we all should not be suprised he took drugs all his playing days... when going to school speaking to kids...

The fact that Johns first defence was that the comments werent directed at Tahu shows Johns arrogance....

I don't think anyone is defending Johns.

And it was mentioned that this has been happening for years, so when I highlighted employer...I meant Newcastle Knights.

Not Tahu's responsibility to talk to Johns you say?? Were talking Australia here, playing in the NRL who has a mass of indigenous and polynesian employees...not some hot bed of intolerant society of years gone by...how hard can it be....
No, lets fester for years on end, then make a public outcry, which now will affect Johns extended family for years to come.

My opinion stands....it could have been done a lot better.

gottabegood

Juniors
Maybe his only regret is that he didn't do something earlier. I think Joey worship within the NSW camp made the public stand necessary.

Case in point ... have you ever encountered someone who is obviously rorting within an organisation, but is the boss's best mate? In that circumstance will a little chat one-on-one fix the problem? Not likely!

Blowing the situation out of proportion aren't we.

And yes I have made plenty of stands my friend....don't you worry about that. Someone has to stand up for the weak.

Fibroman

First Grade

I think it is all our responsibility to tell someone if we are offended by what they are saying or what they are doing. It's part of being a man and standing up for your rights. Imagine what would happen if every kid in Australia took his bat and ball and went home everytime someone called him a name?

fish eel

Immortal
oh for f**k sake

if he was fat he would call him a fat f**k
if he was bald he would call him a bald f**k
if he was freckely he would call him a freckely f**k
if he was short he would call him a short f**k
if he was irish he would call him a irish f**k
if he was pommy he would call him a pommy f**k

talk about a blow up out of proportion

i call shennanigans by tahu

dont know what his story is - perhaps he wants into politics after his 15 minutes are up

Not surprised you just dont get it, do you?

Fibroman

First Grade
Why don't we ban all video clips with Afro Americans referring to each other as dawgs and n****rs if we want to get the message across?

Oh hang on......that would make it a 2 way street. Can't have that.

Someone

Bench
Why don't we ban all video clips with Afro Americans referring to each other as dawgs and n****rs if we want to get the message across?

Oh hang on......that would make it a 2 way street. Can't have that.

This. Never gonna happen until dark skinned people accept that it is in the same proportion as them calling us white. And white skinned people dont go around calling themselves 'white trash', whereas dark skinned people do go around calling themselves 'black bitchs' etc.

This problem is never going to be solved imo.

Latest posts