What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

voltron

Juniors
well i dont think gould couldve talked tahu's point of view
why?
because he didnt talk to him

he talked to Johns and wanted to represent that he is genuinely repentant of what he has done
gould wasnt condoning racism
but he also wasnt condoning just laying the boot into the guy while he's down
he's stepped down from assistant coach
and will wear this tag for the rest of his life
but gould is protecting his mate, of course thats going to happen.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
7 news are saying the c word Johns used was coon, not merkin

Is that worse you think El ?

For mine calling him a coon has a lot more racial overtones than calling him a black merkin. To clarify I can see how he may call someone a merkin in everyday conversation and in the heat of the moment slipped in black but coon has such a history with racism that it can't not have a racial element to it. Either way it looks pretty sh*t for Johns whose role in the team was to provide leadership and guidence to the team. He really shouldn't have said what he said and now he is having to pay for his actions

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Is that worse you think El ?

For mine calling him a coon has a lot more racial overtones than calling him a black merkin. To clarify I can see how he may call someone a merkin in everyday conversation and in the heat of the moment slipped in black but coon has such a history with racism that it can't not have a racial element to it. Either way it looks pretty sh*t for Johns whose role in the team was to provide leadership and guidence to the team. He really shouldn't have said what he said and now he is having to pay for his actions

i agree actually
i've got very little issues with the phrase "black merkin", as for me its no different to white merkin, big merkin, fast merkin, dog merkin or any other merkin.

but there is no debating that coon is a word that exists as a put down to dark skinned people.

I still think Tahu has gone the wrong way about making a point and has let his team mates and coach down but it's a far worse situations for Johns. And the NSWRL if they did indeed try to cover this up

Mad Dogg

Juniors
If a black person called a white player a "White C" nothing will come of it

Different rules for black people.
True, which is unfortunate. They should be considered to be equally offensive, ie. not at all (well, the c*** part would be, but you know what I mean).

However, you can't escape the history behind racism against black people, which is what makes all the difference. I know if a black person called me a white c*** I'd pretty much laugh in their faces since the 'white' part has no negative connotations what-so-ever. Now I truly wish the same could be said with the situation reversed, but in reality it simply isn't.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Johns isn't racist (Sailor is one of his best mates), Tahu should of sorted it out with him, not walked out with any form of resolving the issue.

If he was so passionate about the issue he should of been willing to fix/mediate with Johns.

MLK didn't just hide from racism, you need to stand up and face it and show that it isn't on.

All Tahu has done is blow it out of the water where it should of stayed behind closed doors to be fixed.
:roll:

Yes, let's keep the racist remarks behind closed doors. That'll really get things fixed, won't it? It's the kind of remark you don't make just once without thinking, and I doubt Tahu would react that way if it was a one off thing - chances are Johns has been making those kinds of remarks from the beginning. Even if Tahu did talk to him and did in fact force Johns into getting his act together (which it may have), it obviously wouldn't have done anything to improve racism with the coach of some other team, the other players, Joe Blow down the road, as they simply would never have heard about it.

Whereas now, all those racist bastards might think twice about making those kinds of comments, as they know that other players may now (hopefully) follow Tahu's example and take a stand, and it could result in massive consequences for those remarks. Which is how it should be. It's the only way to drive racism out of the game. Like Tahu himself said:

“But I felt I had to make a statement that this sort of behaviour in any environment is unacceptable and, as a senior player, I had to show that. “If what eventuates is not just Joey but others becoming more aware of the need to show respect for different cultures then I feel the stand I have taken will be worthwhile."

The fact I'm on Tahu's side here speaks volumes. He's been my most disliked player ever since he first broke onto the scene. I honestly don't know why, but I simply took an immediate dislike to 'Tinkerbell' Tahu. But he has gone up in my eyes significantly with this action.

Tahu should stop whining,whinging,wailing and balling his eyes out and man up to Joey not the media.
Tahu should remember that he is now letting down his whole team by belly aching and quitting just because a few words were said.And they weren't even said about a NSW player.
The media loves to get onto this stuff.
We have footy show blokes saying it's alright to head butt blokes.Then they cry like babies about some off the cuff remarks like Johns has said.This type of stuff is said in various forms by black and white people all over the joint.
And let's not forget how and why Johns said what he said in the context of tactics.
Johns wasn't ranting in a drunken stupor out the front of Greg Inglis's house.
Crikey,.,Tahu is twice the size of Joey Johns and we all know that Johns couldn't rip the the skin of a custard tart.
He should tell Joey to his face he's a dick head prick,smack him in the gob if he reckons Johns deserves it and get then get on with his job of playing footy.
If every one who has a remark made against them chucked a big woosy fit and took their bat and ball and ran home to mummy like Tahu has done,this country would quickly collapse in a heap.
Tahu is supposed to be a big,rough,tough bloke playing against other tough as nails blokes in what is continually called the hardest contact sport in the world.
Tahu needs to prove he can hack it.
There is far to much of this pathetic political correctness and blokes having manicures and getting told what to wear by poofy girlie freaks.

Fibroman

First Grade
i agree actually
i've got very little issues with the phrase "black merkin", as for me its no different to white merkin, big merkin, fast merkin, dog merkin or any other merkin.

but there is no debating that coon is a word that exists as a put down to dark skinned people.

I still think Tahu has gone the wrong way about making a point and has let his team mates and coach down but it's a far worse situations for Johns. And the NSWRL if they did indeed try to cover this up

Agreed.

Doomednow

Bench
Yeah, maybe. Maybe not. I sort of have to respect Tahu for walking off the origin team for it. Apparently it means alot to him and he's prepared to give up a representative cap for it. Its not like he went and whinged to the media about it either, just kept it to himself. That takes some character.

Lambretta

First Grade
i agree actually

Tell that to women

The C word, as it's politely referred to is considered the most offensive of the swear words. Far worse than prick or wanker. Prick and wanker are both about men, merkin is using part of the female anatomy and making out its the worst of the lot.

Women view it as a rather personal attack on them.

I'm not defending coon or the n word or anything else, but I do think a discussion about levels of offensiveness is getting off topic slightly.

I'm rather disappointed by all the people who have attacked Tahu and called him soft. I reckon his stand makes him far tougher than someone who didnt stand up for themselves.

Lambretta

First Grade
I've read some dead set drivel over the past weekend, but the op here wins the prize. Congratulations on scraping the bottom out of the barrel.

hellteam

First Grade
That is one of the worst posts I've ever heard. Seriously, so many Australians are out of touch with reality, it's shocking.

Latest posts