What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

Terry-Randal

Juniors
Johns is a nice person a true blue Aussie im getting sick of this politically correct BS been shoved down our throats. Tahu should go back to the island where he came from if he doesnt like our culture. Every aussie speaks like Andy Johns thats how we are.

fuggitt

Juniors
"This problem is never going to be solved imo."
BINGO...
And thats why this whole thing is a fckn joke...

Last edited:

AuDragon

Juniors
"This problem is never going to be solved imo."
BINGO...
And thats why this whole thing is a fckn joke...

Yeah man, anarchy is the way to go, f*ck laws and rules, f*ck decency and compassion, f*ck respect and honor! :crazy:

You belong in one of those redneck, wife beaters, anti gov, white supremacist camps. :roll:

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Race row deepens around Johns Updated June 15, 2010 17:27:00

Ugly accusations: Timana Tahu's family said Johns used derogatory terms agains players other than Greg Inglis.
(AAP Image: Dean Lewins, file photo)

Andrew Johns has been accused of using terms such as "n****r" and "monkey" to describe indigenous rugby league players in the latest claims of racism against the besieged former league star.
Johns stepped down from his role as New South Wales assistant coach on Saturday, hours after it was revealed that star winger Timana Tahu had walked out on the Blues' camp in Kingscliff.
Tahu had taken offence to a racist remark Johns had made in relation to Queensland centre Greg Inglis, and the Blues were unable to stop him from leaving camp before mediation attempts were possible.
Johns apologised profusely for the initial comment, saying he was shattered to have offended his former Newcastle Knights premiership team-mate.
But in a statement last night Tahu said the comment was not an isolated incident.
Indigenous Rugby League Council board member Sol Bellear told ABC Local Radio in Brisbane today that he had spoken with senior members of Tahu's family at the weekend.
Bellear was told by the Tahu family that Johns had used a range of derogatory terms towards players of indigenous heritage, and Inglis was not the only target.
"Greg Inglis wasn't the only one who was sledged, [the one] he used those words at," he said.
"He used the word 'n****r', he used the word 'black b', he used the word 'monkey' at other players of colour as well ... and other words such as 'coon' and the like.
"[Blues centre] Beau Scott said, and even Johns admitted it, but Beau Scott also said that he was told to 'shut the black c... down.'
"Inglis and them are not just the deadliest players on the park, but you don't hear nothing coming out of Andrew Johns' mouth in relation to [Queensland full-back Billy] Slater or Cam Smith or Darren Lockyer about 'shutting the white c...s down'."

Lack of understanding

Bellear said Johns simply does not understand racism or the impact that his comments have on players of colour.
"That's the unfortunate thing, that's why I'm taking a big stand on this, that we really must understand what racism is and the different effects it has on different people and different players," he said.
"If we keep covering up inappropriate sexual behaviour when they're on tour, then that would continue to go on.
"We had to take a very strong stand on sexual assaults ... that was being carried on by players, and sponsors withdrew to highlight it and say 'enough's enough'.
"Sexual assault against women has emotional and physical issues there, [and] this to a lot of Aboriginal people is an emotional thing.
"But in order to arrest racism in rugby league we need to have a zero tolerance policy."
The Newcastle Knights say they will not make any decisions about Johns' coaching role at the club until it has a better understanding of the incident, while Tahu's club Parramatta is also considering Johns' position as a part-time coach.
The incident has polarised opinions in rugby league circles.
Gold Coast centre Preston Campbell said he was proud of Tahu for taking the stand, while outspoken former New South Wales five-eighth Anthony Mundine said Indigenous players should boycott Wednesday's Origin encounter in support of Tahu.
But Maroons hooker Cameron Smith, who said the Queensland camp had not been affected by the incident and that Inglis was moving past it, thought Mundine's calls to action were going too far.
"I think that's probably a bit extreme," he said.
"It comes down to the individual and how they feel.
"Timana obviously felt very strongly which is why he left.
"I think it would hurt the game if all the indigenous boys left and it would hurt the fans."
Blues skipper Kurt Gidley says he is devastated a racist remark has strained the long friendship between Tahu and Johns, while NSW hooker Michael Ennis said the incident will not impact on the team's performance in Origin II in Brisbane on Wednesday night.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/15/2927682.htm

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Pretty dangerous to be accusing him of using that sort of language when it's basically second/third hand hearsay from the family, and not Timana himself. Regardless of what Tahu told them, if you went to court and a family member said "well my cousin said that person A did this to person B" they'd throw it out. I think similar rules need to be applied here.

Doesn't excuse anything Johns said, but I would rather have heard this from Tahu himself. Not from a board member via his family via him via Joey.

Bengal

Juniors
I read or heard somewhere that Johns has been like this for a long time, and that Timana has put up with this for just as long. Just makes me wonder why now? Why is Timana done what he's done now?

Bellear said Johns simply does not understand racism or the impact that his comments have on players of colour.
This isn't Johns' problem. His problem is the same that besets many who walk on rarefied air, e.g. the likes of Tiger Woods, Micheal Jackson, Elvis and co. He's been surrounded by too many enablers, too many yes men for far too long. Not enough people with balls to put him in his place. That's his problem, not a lack of understanding.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If I recall correctly, Woods has referred to himself as "Blasian" on a number of occasions.

AuDragon

Juniors
This isn't Johns' problem. His problem is the same that besets many who walk on rarefied air, e.g. the likes of Tiger Woods, Micheal Jackson, Elvis and co. He's been surrounded by too many enablers, too many yes men for far too long. Not enough people with balls to put him in his place. That's his problem, not a lack of understanding.

I think you're very close to hitting the nail on the head there, but I will stop just short of saying it isn't Johns problem. As a public figure and example, idol of many kids and some adults, and as a leader of young men, he has a responsability to act accordingly.

I will say though, that this is as much Johns fault as the ones who put him where he is!

orochimaru

Juniors
thank you very much

i havn't laughed like that in a long time

making hitler a reference to this topic is gold, love it.

BDR

First Grade
Johns is a nice person a true blue Aussie im getting sick of this politically correct BS been shoved down our throats. Tahu should go back to the island where he came from if he doesnt like our culture. Every aussie speaks like Andy Johns thats how we are.

If this is a serious post, you are absolutely f**ked in the head my friend. First of all, Tahu is half NZ and half Aboriginal, so he is not from any island at all. Aboriginal Australians were here long before you or your ancestors, so it should be US who should go back to OUR island of England. Secondly, true Australian culture is inclusive and indiscriminate, not this bogan bullsh*t you seem to think it is.

Finally, Johns is not a nice person OR a true blue aussie, he is a drug abuser who has dragged our game through the mud on a number of occasions but still somehow gets put up on a f**king pedestal.

You are not representative of Australians, you are an intolerant Johns apologist who is blaming Tahu for taking offense to something instead of recognising Johns should speak with a civil tongue.

Titanic

First Grade
I think the sport should change its name to The Untouchables.

1. A protected species of androtops (Former Australia Greats) can't be sacked no matter what they get up to;
2. large sections of the players can't be referred to in anything but kindly motherly terms of great respect - heaven help them when they have to go out and find a real job;
3. teams accountants can't be trusted; and,
4. the governing body can't communicate with anyone at all.

Just joking.

Onya Timana great stance but I don't get it when you could have had Johns out and kept your dignity and your position.

Tahu is half NZ and half Aboriginal, so he is not from any island at all.

Nearly right BDR but I think both are land masses surrounded by water which makes them.... ?

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
It is becoming painfully obvious that Johns is the victim in all of this.

Eels Dude

Coach
Pretty dangerous to be accusing him of using that sort of language when it's basically second/third hand hearsay from the family, and not Timana himself. Regardless of what Tahu told them, if you went to court and a family member said "well my cousin said that person A did this to person B" they'd throw it out. I think similar rules need to be applied here.

Doesn't excuse anything Johns said, but I would rather have heard this from Tahu himself. Not from a board member via his family via him via Joey.

Blame the media for that. Tahu is a very private person and has not once commented on what exactly Johns said in the first place. He just said he was offended by numerous comments and decided to take a stand. Tahu won't come out and say what Johns said, he's not that kind of person. He left because he wasn't comfortable in that team environment and only publicly commented yesterday because of the uproar that it created.

lockyrulz

Juniors
It is becoming painfully obvious that Johns is the victim in all of this.

ROTFLMAO

My heart bleeds for the wanker it realty does...

If only life hadn't cursed him so badly by making him an ignorant moron, everything would be cool!

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I read or heard somewhere that Johns has been like this for a long time, and that Timana has put up with this for just as long. Just makes me wonder why now? Why is Timana done what he's done now?

My guess is that Timana can now. He is now a millionaire - pretty good achievement having come from the hostels - and no longer needs to put up with racism.

He has made his money - his career in league is winding down - and now he can make a stand.

Latest posts