What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take Action on the Development.

newman

First Grade
Fellow Sharks tragics,

We have come to a very important juncture in our clubs history. We all know the financial situation at the club and I will not go over that again. What I do know, and I have been privy to some very interesting internal discussions is that without this development being approved, we are dead. While we may not go immediately under, without it, we will never, ever be competitive against the other clubs, and will eventually die. That is not an exaggeration, merely a statement of fact.

The time for debating the merits of the development and the consortium is over. The board has made its decision, outlined its plan, and is running with it full steam ahead. You can see the details of the development here: http://www.infoonsharks.com.au/
00013844-image.jpg

The development application is now at a stage where the planning commitee, who make the final decision on the application, receive submissions and feedback from the community. These submissions and feedback are carefully considered in making the final determination. The consortium have done an excellent job in producing a professional application, and if the application is to be approved it needs to be supported by the community. This support must be done independent to the consortium and the club. This is where the game is won and lost. And this is where we need your help.

Make no mistake, Sutherland Shire Council and a small group of well off North Woolooware residents are trying their level best to see this development fail. They have set up committees, and have a strategic plan to stymie it at every opportunity possible. The hypoocrisy of this is breathtaking, it is a real toys out of the cot scenario. One of the fine people at SF has uncovered that the reason for their opposition is that Deputy Mayor Capsis is a local resident, and Mayor Provan doesnt like having the power of approval taken from her. In fact, our detective found out that in 2007, now mayor Provan put a submission to council stating that the one of the best plans to address the shortage of housing in the shire was to develop the Woolooware foreshore, and as it was reasonably remote, building height and density restrictions should be relaxed!

Despite our powerful enemies, as Sharks supporters we have the power of numbers behind us, and using web sites like this and SF we can co-ordinate a plan of support that will hopefully overwhelm our detractors.

The best thing you can do is write individual letters of support. Write to the planning commitee:

Department of Planning and Infrastructure
Ref: MP_0229- Cronulla Sharks Concept Plan
GPO Box 39
SYDNEY NSW 2001

Write to the council: Specifically tell them that opposing this plan will result in them losing your vote.

The Mayor – Cllr Carol Provan
Sutherland Shire Council
Eton Street
Sutherland 2232

Re: Cronulla Sharks Redevelopment
And write to the leader. They will publish well thought out, simple letters that explain that you support the development for more reasons than just a football team.

Play the ball and not the man. Do not be abusive or threatening. Focus on the benefits to the community like shopping, housing, jobs and entertainment. Sadly, saving the Sharkies alone isnt a good enough reason. You do not need to be a local resident. You do not need to be over 18.

Most of all, if you can please attend this night. This has been put on by the CSSC, the Friends of the Sharks Committee (of which I am a member) and Sharks Forever. It outlines the strategies that we need to undertake to support this important undertaking by the club.

takeaction1.jpg

Doing all this costs you nothing. Doing this will help save your club. This is the time to man (or woman) up and take a hit up for the black white and blue.

Yours in Sharks,

Newman.

Edit: For reactions to the approval jump to page 90

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=392753&page=90

Last edited by a moderator:

carcharias

Immortal
just a question...how did they get voted in?

I cetainly didn't vote in any council election.

I have already commented in the leader..I see carina shark did as well.

Quigs

Immortal
Okay, what can any fan who lives outside of the shire do to help.

Will submissions be taken from only those that reside in the area.

newman

First Grade
No Quigs. As a regular visitor to the club, your input is as valuable as anyone elses.

taipan

Referee
Rest assured they will be getting letters from me.I am hardly a new arrival to the Shire,ands with the amount of rates I have paid over the years,could have purchased the council building.;-)

Dread

Juniors
This is something that every Sharks fan should be getting behind. No excuses. Don't leave it up to others to ensure the survival of the club that you love.

Eion

First Grade
Heard DI on Talkin' Sport on the way home. Didn't catch it from the start but thought he was impressive.

Nothing much new in what he said to us on this forum, but talked up the positives of the development and encouraged all to have their say. What impressed me most was he didn't bag capsis and others opposed. I don't know how he managed that when he must hate the bloke's guts. Very professional and well spoken I thought.

Megalodon

Juniors
Heard DI on Talkin' Sport on the way home. Didn't catch it from the start but thought he was impressive.

Nothing much new in what he said to us on this forum, but talked up the positives of the development and encouraged all to have their say. What impressed me most was he didn't bag capsis and others opposed. I don't know how he managed that when he must hate the bloke's guts. Very professional and well spoken I thought.

A copy of that interview will be available online tomorrow.

Feej

First Grade
You know what? We (myself included) all snipe in here at the 'fluffy' Sharks supporters over at SF and all the other crap we go on with from time to time about DI etc.... Well, I reckon' it's time we *all* worked together for the survival of 'our' team.

Yeah, I know us old timers have been here before with the 'Save The Sharks' thing, but we are needed again, so lets get over some of the petty crap and do something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE&feature=related

Yours in Fluffiness..... :)

Ausguy

Coach
no petty crap going on with me...

ive been to everything development and membership related...

ive put thousands into the club...

hope its enough

Vin Fizz

Bench
Happy to get involved and make a submission. Like Quigs i'm not local. So I will have to come up with some crafty words that dont make it look like i'm interested solely in saving the lads. For the record the development has many more benifits than cons in my view.

Quigs

Immortal
Read Cap'n Frenz's comments about holding fire Vin... we shouldn't all do it straight away and at the same time. (psssts looks suspicious)

Apparently we have till the 5th December to fire away submissions. but I think local shots should be sent i.e local rag.... to councillors etc.

yeah

on the other forum theyve made a note about a strategic course of action to make noise in different points in different times.

if any of you can get down to that CSSC meeting im sure that will outline what needs doing.

ive sent a call to arms to the people in my office.

told em what to write etc.