What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take the Hayne Train to Newcastle this Saturday!

All good guys. I don't take any offence to the fun and games.

Keeps me on my toes figuring out which questions are serious and which aren't!

Larry, every question I ask is serious. Totes serious.

You know they're serious because I have underlined, bolded and italicised the word totes. After the previous sentence, I've now done it twice. That's how serious all my questions are.

In unrelated news...can I sign your cast?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well played Eels, should be more of it.

I suspect OPs threads will get many many views.

bartman

Immortal
The supporters group does still exist.

Highlights an interesting question on match day active support. Is this something that is generally unwelcome? We are looking at encouraging more fan atmosphere at our games with flags, banners, pompoms etc.

Would that sort of thing negatively impact the fan experience in your opinion?
If it becomes anything like the "active support" involved with the A-League then it would definitely have a negative impact of the fan experience (for the rest of us), in my opinion.

The last thing we need is a group of supporters that think they're somehow better than the other supporters who actually prefer to watch the game and cheer when relevant, rather than dance around, chant/sing non-stop, bang drums/wave pom poms/throw flares, break seats, copy overseas trends, get into fights with "active supporters" from other clubs, and cost the Eels and arm and a leg in extra game day security and poor publicity! ;-)

Our membership looks to be going fine (over 20K), and when our team is playing competitive footy our home crowds (at our real home - Parra Stadium) are close to capacity with great atmosphere. Keep the existing Swarm bay/s, and no need to change anything until we are hanging the Sold Out sign in front of the stadium three or more times a season, and ticketed membership is the hottest ticket in town (with waiting lists to join).

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
If it becomes anything like the "active support" involved with the A-League then it would definitely have a negative impact of the fan experience (for the rest of us), in my opinion.

The last thing we need is a group of supporters that think they're somehow better than the other supporters who actually prefer to watch the game and cheer when relevant, rather than dance around, chant/sing non-stop, bang drums/wave pom poms/throw flares, break seats, copy overseas trends, get into fights with "active supporters" from other clubs, and cost the Eels and arm and a leg in extra game day security and poor publicity! ;-)

Our membership looks to be going fine (over 20K), and when our team is playing competitive footy our home crowds (at our real home - Parra Stadium) are close to capacity with great atmosphere. Keep the existing Swarm bay/s, and no need to change anything until we are hanging the Sold Out sign in front of the stadium three or more times a season, and ticketed membership is the hottest ticket in town (with waiting lists to join).

Last time I looked NRL wasn't soccer and there is no other NRL club that has an active supporter team like the Wanderers do.

I'm guessing an 'active supporter' group would be more like the AFL, where some mob get to make and hold a banner as the players run onto the ground...but at the end of the day, that seems like a Victorian thing to do.

Suitman

Post Whore
Last time I looked NRL wasn't soccer and there is no other NRL club that has an active supporter team like the Wanderers do.

I'm guessing an 'active supporter' group would be more like the AFL, where some mob get to make and hold a banner as the players run onto the ground...but at the end of the day, that seems like a Victorian thing to do.

You forgot to mention the pom poms.
Bart would prefer the pom poms type of active support. AFL style. Sweet.

Suity

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal

I was just concerned at the introduction of the term "active support", so synonymous with the thuggery of soccer fandom. Given that we ground share with the Wanderers it's important to make we too don't head down the path of the RBB by mistake or default.

Agree about no need to have those big AFL style banners, seems pointless in a rectangular ground.

And Suity, pom poms can be no match for the "Parra Clap-Clap-Clap" tape played on loop.... can't get much more active than that! ;-)

Suitman

Post Whore
I was just concerned at the introduction of the term "active support", so synonymous with the thuggery of soccer fandom. Given that we ground share with the Wanderers it's important to make we too don't head down the path of the RBB by mistake or default.

Agree about no need to have those big AFL style banners, seems pointless in a rectangular ground.

And Suity, pom poms can be no match for the "Parra Clap-Clap-Clap" tape played on loop.... can't get much more active than that! ;-)

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

Just to be clear, we are in no way looking to replicate the same type of active support you get at a soccer game. That type of atmosphere is unique to soccer, rugby league fans are different and experience game day in a different way. Anything we do needs to recognize that.

We are more thinking big pom poms (which if you take a look at old eels footage was very common back in the 70s and 80s) flags, streamers etc.

hindmarshisgod

Juniors
Just to be clear, we are in no way looking to replicate the same type of active support you get at a soccer game. That type of atmosphere is unique to soccer, rugby league fans are different and experience game day in a different way. Anything we do needs to recognize that.

We are more thinking big pom poms (which if you take a look at old eels footage was very common back in the 70s and 80s) flags, streamers etc.

70s and 80s had full strength alcohol at games.

Just sayin.

hindmarshisgod

Juniors

70s and 80s had full strength alcohol at games.

Just sayin.

hindmarshisgod

Juniors
They put it away when they see you coming you mad merkin.

#pisswreck

Its their loss cause i just go down to the bottle'o nearby and by a hitflask, mix it in a bottle of coke and take the bottle of coke in and no one has any idea that its a mix, therefore getting me pissed while watching the game and not having to line up for half an hour at the bar for 4 midstrength beers.

Actually, disregard my complaints Larrissa. Ill just stick to what i have been doing.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I hope Larissa had a word to Jarryd,

If (I think when) he scores, the plane is in the hanger, best impression of a locomotive.

Latest posts