What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tapine Gone

cb4

First Grade
We have some young fellas worth a go imo

Id rather give a young guy a go this year, while we are rebuilding, than have to do it next year when we might actually have a shot. We'd have to blood someone new anyway

If you have the depth then it probably is better to cut the losses. But I hate seeing players released just because they made a decision for themselves.

Tapine would've had a spot on the bench in our top 17 but he isn't a vital cog by any means, he's only played about 20 games and most I those games were 10min cameos off the bench. I'd rather invest the experience into guys like Pauli, Fitzgibbon, or the Saifiti brothers who are all around a similar level to Tapine anyway so the drop off wouldn't be very noticeable

Thanks mate. As I said, I cannot comment on your depth as every NYC game isn't broad cast and I didn't see the NSW Cup final.
If you have guys on par with him then the drop off shouldn't be too bad, but I still think it is a reactionary decision to release a player just because he has signed elsewhere.

Apey

Staff member
Dropping him wouldn't be to spite him. It's to look after our own interests like he has looked after his own. What is the point in us continuing to develop him? Releasing him is another story though, I'm not sure what's in it for us.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I'm not disagreeing that he would be well in contention to vie for a bench spot Aqua Duck but with Tariq, Rochow, Stockwell, Smith, Snowden, Korbin, Paea, Pauli, Randell, and Levi plus the others that have been tried there last year like Mataora and then the up and comers like the Saifitis', Yates, Fitzgibbon, etc. I think he wasn't necessarily guaranteed a spot in the 17 and I agree with what you are saying that he shouldn't be used at the expense of development opportunities for these others

My main consideration from a coaching perspective though would be whether his inclusion this year gets us in or out of the top 8 because of his contribution? And as somebody used the example before, that is where the consideration for Maloney differs from Tapine.

In reality his inclusion this year would not be the make or break of this team playing finals football, so we should use him if it suits our purposes (major injury problems, etc.) but certainly not as a regular starter this year in my opinion.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Absurd money, we don't even know if he'll be worth that at his peak. See ya later, Joe. Good luck cracking a starting spot down there.
Someone thinks he'll be worth a lot more. Tapine could be anything. One of those rare players I've seen for the first time and said to myself " There is a future champion"

macavity

Referee
If we aren't careful We are going to turn into the jets, who have been a feeder club in the A-League for years- we'll have a roster consisting of young up and coming players that we've developed, only to have them sign with the big clubs once they start to show promise.

We already are.

Welcome to the new NRL.

Frederick

Staff member
If it were up to me, Tapine would be 18th man for NSW cup week in, week out. If he starts acting up and missing training sessions, start fining him. We could've very easily sacked him when his legal stuff started, but we didn't. We stood by him all the way. We showed loyalty. He then repays us by signing with Canberra...CANBERRA of all clubs.

f**k him. Time to get petty.

I wouldn't penalise him.
I would, however, agree with "blooding" another player in 1st grade with along term view.
If Tapine wants a place in 1sts he has to prove he is above being the best for a position. We are in a building phase and if that means we have to develop a player for the long term then that's in the club's best interest.

It would be a different story if we were knocking on the door of making the semis.

We may be in a similar position with Rochow soon. He has put off negotiations until the start of the season.

Spot On

Coach
Someone thinks he'll be worth a lot more. Tapine could be anything. One of those rare players I've seen for the first time and said to myself " There is a future champion"

I thought champions do all the little things, you know like the 'one percenters' all the time.

Does that sound like Tapine????

Everyone expected us to fold and give him what he wanted but we didn't. For that I am grateful. Some will say we were stupid but those people have no F ing idea about the game. We need to stop getting sucked in by so called stand out players in a year where none really stood out. There is always someone else out there.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
I think we mainly use him in NSW cup, but bring him up to 1st grade only if...
-his form is good
- we need to cover because of injuries
- whichever young player/s we are using needs a break (can't expect a youngster to play all 24 rounds).

Knight Vision

First Grade
I think we mainly use him in NSW cup, but bring him up to 1st grade only if...
-his form is good
- we need to cover because of injuries
- whichever young player/s we are using needs a break (can't expect a youngster to play all 24 rounds).

early release and use his money elsewhere

Burwood

Bench
early release and use his money elsewhere

Honest question, but how much money? His last contract was signed in 2013, the year before he made his NRL debut. Anything that he is worth under the salary cap for this year is going to be a fairly insignificant amount. You'd have to think that he'd be on minimum wage at best.

slotmachine

First Grade
In the end the actual amount per year wasn't that different between Knights and Raiders.

Knights 3 years $1.1m, Raiders 4 years $1.7m

$366k a year was even too much, that's more than Korbin got.

Spot On

Coach
It was a more than generous offer from the club at this stage of his career ie started 1 NRL game. No one here should feel as if the club should have offered "a bit more'.

knightsarmy

Juniors
I would keep him for the season unless canberra has someone they need to offload to make room under the cap for this year if they want him already

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Yep, no Tapine

Jono078

Referee
To be honest, I hope this doesn't turn into a trend, as in players signing elsewhere and then being allowed to leave immediately. Because ultimately we become the biggest loser in that.