What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tapine Gone

Still Nutty

Juniors
To be honest, I hope this doesn't turn into a trend, as in players signing elsewhere and then being allowed to leave immediately. Because ultimately we become the biggest loser in that.

It's a bit of a double edged sword - it was pretty obvious last year that Beau Scott was just making up the numbers for us once we allowed him a release to sign with the Eels this year...I honestly expected more from him at the back end of last year considering the club went out of its way to consider his compassionate circumstances and expected that to be repaid with a big effort for the end of the season with us.

That was a different situation to Tapine but the concern would be even greater from a player who has already shown his allegiance will lie elsewhere in 2017. I don't begrudge him the opportunity but the NRL needs to take a firmer line on these contract negotiations and signings that occur for a season ahead.

Rather than a release, maybe the NRL needs to consider an option for the loan structure offered in soccer for ''excess'' or under utilised players so that the owning club of a contracted player can at least consider a better capacity to get value out of that remaining contract, particularly where that player has made themselves less attractive for the last part of their contract to the owning club but might still be a commodity that is of some value at least under the cap?

macavity

Referee
Anyone seen his performance in reserve grade? Apparently having a shocker

I saw it, and he dead set looked like the second coming of SBW with ball in hand (level of competition notwithstanding).

Whoever said he had a shocker is taking the piss.

He might need to learn to play in the halves. Sezer and Austin got hammered good by Penrith. Unlikely either will be available for round 3.

Johns Magic

Referee
Raiders now sign Junior Paulo. A boom prop who is killing it at the moment.

Eels junior and Parra have said they offered him a "substantial" contract and were desperate to keep him but they couldn't match Canberra's offer.

How are Canberra doing this?

They seem to have re-signed and upgraded a whole bunch of guys and hit the market hard at the same time.

I get that they have let a few guys go but the amount of money they are offering these young guys tells me they have figured something out, and we need to catch on.

How are they blowing other clubs out of the water when it comes to these young guys?

perverse

Referee
They have undoubtedly unlocked the "secret" to third party agreements, and gone out and found some juicy ones.

Nuffy

Bench
TPA's and better cap management.

Our cap management is beyond diabolical.

We have a winger and a centre, neither of whom are current AU reps and SOO regulars on beyond silly money.

We have a family of brothers on collectively massive money even though they have played maybe 35 games of FG amongst the 3 of them. How much was the Dog's contracts vs. what we ended up paying? I'll bet we paid them a truckload of money extra to stay where they wanted to be all along.

Shall I go on.

Who know how much we threw at Hodgkison. We seem to bid against ourselves and then we get a situation where our club to field 6 debutants in RD 1 and we are still somehow spending the full cap.

Much of this is self inflicted.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
Good on Canberra. They've been on the other side for a long time, so it's good to see that clubs are able to turn their fortunes around.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I can't ever bring myself to cheer for Canberra. Their fans are some of the most obnoxious shitmerkins I've ever had to deal with.

Well, two of their fans, but that's enough.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Stuart has been very lucky in a lot of ways. He honestly tried to sign milford to a million dollars a year. That would have killed us.

I think he has brought in some tpas but his best signings have been mostly unproven guys or outsiders. Hodgson id literally never heard of and he is probably our best signing since meninga.

Our cap management was really bad for the longest time. God knows how much was tied up in shillo, tll, white and tilse. So its not like the knights cant sort that out. Tpas are a different matter though and the fact the nrl refuses to publish what is going on there speaks volumes.

Frederick

Staff member
I can't ever bring myself to cheer for Canberra. Their fans are some of the most obnoxious shitmerkins I've ever had to deal with.

Well, two of their fans, but that's enough.

I'm guessing you're talking about raider 69 and skeepe?

Raider69 (or nick87 as he goes by now) is a good guy. Having a family has mellowed him.

Skeepe is still skeepe, and tbh it would be worth the lols if we all jumped on the raiders bandwagon this year.

Noname36

First Grade
I don't like jumping on bandwagons.

Also frankly I've lost so much interest and have become so disillusioned by the game in general in recent years I only have enough care to give some shit about the side I follow - couldn't care less about any others.

I don't like jumping on bandwagons.

Also frankly I've lost so much interest and have become so disillusioned by the game in general in recent years I only have enough care to give some shit about the side I follow - couldn't care less about any others.

My sentiments exactly. My only focus is on how to dig our club out of a horrendous decade and a half of mediocrity. I am even willing to cop another private ownership as long as we do a big background check first. For example Marwan Koukash is a massively different proposition to Tinkler as the man lives and breathes the game. He is also not afraid to take on governing bodies. He is wealthier now than ever before. Smart fella.