What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tapine Gone

slotmachine

First Grade
What would be our benefit of letting him go to Canberra early?

Use his money to buy a centre.
Sweeten rochows 2016 deal if he re-signs so he costs less in 17/18/19
We won't have to watch him mail it in until he leaves
We don't develop a player for the raiders
Someone like safiti gets more minutes this year

I'll stop now.

After what John Grant said today about club profits being a priority over expenditure I feel we may be smartest to sit and wait. If he is true to his word clubs will be off loading players left right and centre. The back loading deals days are over for now it seems.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Paper saying he will be released as soon as the cooling off period ends.

This club appears to be smartening up, it's disconcerting.

harrywilliams

Juniors
Kurtis Dark, Brodie Jones, Bradie Smith, Jayden Butterfield are all current rep junior backrowers who are looking extremely promising. We have guys like Bhana, Koopu, Yates, Fitzgobbon, both Saifitis. We've just signed Pauli. Not to mention we have all this extra salary cap now to spend on another edge backrower coming off contract or another centre/hooker/whatever we want. We are not going to miss him I'm sure of that.

PhilGould

Bench
Sounds like he really wanted to stay but the money was too much to say no to. Can't say I blame him.

League_God

Juniors
Paper saying he will be released as soon as the cooling off period ends.

This club appears to be smartening up, it's disconcerting.

Anyone know how long the cooling off period is?

If he stays here I'd play him at centre for the year with Sione on the wing and one of the Safiti's on the bench.

It's a win-win

Caped Crusader

Juniors
lots of suggestion, mostly from Raiders fans and no one at the club mind you, that they want to play Tapine in the middle

If true it would be f**king idiotic. Playing him there pretty much cancels out all his best assets like his foot work 1-1 and his off load to outside men.

K-Man

Bench
lots of suggestion, mostly from Raiders fans and no one at the club mind you, that they want to play Tapine in the middle

If true it would be f**king idiotic. Playing him there pretty much cancels out all his best assets like his foot work 1-1 and his off load to outside men.

Absolute madness. Even before he played first grade it was obvious where his strengths were, and nothing has changed. Get him out wide and his late footwork is fantastic, he can ball play, we've already seen he's got a flick pass that he actually uses wisely. He's a menace out there.

In the middle he just becomes a small forward carting up and getting bashed. Don't understand this at all if it's true.

I am genuinely disappointed because I really, really rate Tapine. Sure we can say we have other backrowers to bring through, but none are like him. He brings something different to the table and it was exciting to think he might reach his full potential for us.

The concerning thing is that we get very little out of our young up and coming stars before they get offered huge contracts elsewhere - so even when we hang onto them we've lost the strategic cap building element. We end up paying our young players the salary they should really be getting paid in about 2-3 years when they've proved it.

Other teams always seem to have a group of highly talented young players coming through, not on big contracts, and not getting targeted or poached left, right and centre.

cb4

First Grade
My 2 cents but I don't see the value in releasing him early id he is still an asset to your club.

James Maloney signed for the Roosters 3 months before his final season at the Warriors. Yes, I know Maloney is a different kettle of fish but he wasn't an Origin player at NZ and he hadn't cracked 100 first grade games either.

If the player can still make a difference, depth or 1-17 purposes then he should be kept. Demoting him would crying over spilt milk. Rugby League is a business. Players get 1 career and it is short, so looking after themselves will always be a priority over club loyalty.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
We know that mate and to a degree i agree with you

However there are 2 factors that make this different to the Warriors Maloney scenario:

1. Tapine is not a lynch pin player. He is an edge forward who if we are honest, hasnt really performed consistently well for us to be considered important to the teams structure. Maloney was a half who had a pretty hefty influence in that Warriors side

2. We are going no where near the title this year. If we were a genuine shot and couldnt afford to drop our most talented then yeah, we would be stupid not to play him.

As it is, we can afford to drop him in favour of putting development time into someone else for the future. Its not crying over spilt milk, its just being pragmatic really

cb4

First Grade
I don't know the degree of your depth but someone mentioned on here your back up second rowers aren't much chop.
I still feel that if he was going to be a part of your top 17 at the start of the season then it shouldn't matter where he is playing in 2017.

Burwood

Bench
If we aren't careful We are going to turn into the jets, who have been a feeder club in the A-League for years- we'll have a roster consisting of young up and coming players that we've developed, only to have them sign with the big clubs once they start to show promise.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
It's a massive shame losing him, as it's been stated on here. But I was really happy with the attitude and performance of Saffiti bros. I think a solid year in 1st is going to be great for them. They are a front row and back rower combo. I like Yates too, he hasn't been mentioned a lot in pre season but I thick he'll make his debut this year.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I don't know the degree of your depth but someone mentioned on here your back up second rowers aren't much chop.
I still feel that if he was going to be a part of your top 17 at the start of the season then it shouldn't matter where he is playing in 2017.

We have some young fellas worth a go imo

Id rather give a young guy a go this year, while we are rebuilding, than have to do it next year when we might actually have a shot. We'd have to blood someone new anyway

aqua_duck

Coach

Tapine would've had a spot on the bench in our top 17 but he isn't a vital cog by any means, he's only played about 20 games and most I those games were 10min cameos off the bench. I'd rather invest the experience into guys like Pauli, Fitzgibbon, or the Saifiti brothers who are all around a similar level to Tapine anyway so the drop off wouldn't be very noticeable

Latest posts