What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Sims to continue putting fear into rival halfbacks
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4046_2697_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FEAR FACTOR: Tariq Sims has given opposing halfbacks nightmares this season. Picture: Sylvia Liber

WHEN Dragons enforcer Tariq Sims retires from rugby league, he could make a very good solicitor.

At least that’s the impression you get when you ask the 28-year-old about his recent penchant for turning games into an 80-minute nightmare for opposing halfbacks.

“It’s not [my job] to hunt halfbacks, it’s to apply pressure to halfbacks in a legal manner,” he said with a grin when asked if he goes out to target the No. 7s.

He did it so successfully against Cooper Cronk in his side’s win over the Roosters last week, Blues coach Brad Fittler tossed him up a potential fix for Dragons teammate Ben Hunt at Origin level.

His effort on Cronk did his NSW selection chances no harm but - while he makes no apologies for his aggression – Sims stressed it’s never his intention to harm his rivals.

“It’s a game of rugby league, it’s a physical game,” Sims said.

“It’s no secret I’ve been in trouble with the judiciary before so I’ve had to adapt my game.

“It’s a contact sport so you’d be crazy not to think some tackles might get away from you but I definitely don’t go out there to hurt or injure anyone.

“If I’m called upon to do a [similar] job, I’ll do it. If [NSW] want someone that’s not going to take a backward step with a bit of attitude and a bit of starch in defence, I’m your guy.”

It’s not just his ability to pressure halves that’s thrust Sims into Origin contention, with the Gerringong product providing just as many headaches with ball in hand.

It’s seen the odds on a long-awaited Origin debut shorten dramatically but, having suffered his fair share of setbacks throughout his career, he’s not counting his chickens.

“There’s still a long time until a team’s picked for NSW,” Sims said.

“Obviously I want to be involved in it but a lot can change in one week.

“I could play really good football and put myself in a better position, or I can play terrible football and get spat out the back door.

“I’ve broken my leg twice, had shoulder surgery, wrist surgery, I’ve done my time on the sideline so I’m under no illusions.

“[In] tomorrow’s training session I could go out and hurt myself and my career could be in jeopardy so I just take it day by day.”

The Dragons win over the Roosters sets up a monster showdown with Melbourne on Sunday, with the Storm coming off an equally impressive Anzac Day thrashing of the Warriors.

Both sides will be coming in off an 11-day turnaround and Sims said his side will be primed for the clash after being give a four-day spell by coach Paul McGregor.

“Mary gave us a few days off to get away and unwind from footy for a while because the Anzac Day game is such and emotional and physical game,” Sims said.

“You can’t stay on that adrenaline cloud for an 11-day turnaround, it’s just unrealistic.

“We all had to take two seconds and get away and unwind a bit from footy but we’re right back into it.

“Melbourne have been the benchmark for so many years and, going on their last two performances, they’re definitely building into the Storm that we all know and expect week in week out.

“They compete for every scrap and we’re under no illusions, they’re coming here to pick a fight. We’ve got to be up to the challenge.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...rcer-a-nightmare-for-rival-halfbacks/?cs=3713

Bench
It could get nasty if Sims repeats his game against Easts.
Storm better watch out. I think we need our power game this week.
Take no prisoners.

The Damo

Juniors
Dragons 2018: Sims to continue putting fear into rival halfbacks
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4046_2697_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FEAR FACTOR: Tariq Sims has given opposing halfbacks nightmares this season. Picture: Sylvia Liber

WHEN Dragons enforcer Tariq Sims retires from rugby league, he could make a very good solicitor.

At least that’s the impression you get when you ask the 28-year-old about his recent penchant for turning games into an 80-minute nightmare for opposing halfbacks.

“It’s not [my job] to hunt halfbacks, it’s to apply pressure to halfbacks in a legal manner,” he said with a grin when asked if he goes out to target the No. 7s.

He did it so successfully against Cooper Cronk in his side’s win over the Roosters last week, Blues coach Brad Fittler tossed him up a potential fix for Dragons teammate Ben Hunt at Origin level.

His effort on Cronk did his NSW selection chances no harm but - while he makes no apologies for his aggression – Sims stressed it’s never his intention to harm his rivals.

“It’s a game of rugby league, it’s a physical game,” Sims said.

“It’s no secret I’ve been in trouble with the judiciary before so I’ve had to adapt my game.

“It’s a contact sport so you’d be crazy not to think some tackles might get away from you but I definitely don’t go out there to hurt or injure anyone.

“If I’m called upon to do a [similar] job, I’ll do it. If [NSW] want someone that’s not going to take a backward step with a bit of attitude and a bit of starch in defence, I’m your guy.”

It’s not just his ability to pressure halves that’s thrust Sims into Origin contention, with the Gerringong product providing just as many headaches with ball in hand.

It’s seen the odds on a long-awaited Origin debut shorten dramatically but, having suffered his fair share of setbacks throughout his career, he’s not counting his chickens.

“There’s still a long time until a team’s picked for NSW,” Sims said.

“Obviously I want to be involved in it but a lot can change in one week.

“I could play really good football and put myself in a better position, or I can play terrible football and get spat out the back door.

“I’ve broken my leg twice, had shoulder surgery, wrist surgery, I’ve done my time on the sideline so I’m under no illusions.

“[In] tomorrow’s training session I could go out and hurt myself and my career could be in jeopardy so I just take it day by day.”

The Dragons win over the Roosters sets up a monster showdown with Melbourne on Sunday, with the Storm coming off an equally impressive Anzac Day thrashing of the Warriors.

Both sides will be coming in off an 11-day turnaround and Sims said his side will be primed for the clash after being give a four-day spell by coach Paul McGregor.

“Mary gave us a few days off to get away and unwind from footy for a while because the Anzac Day game is such and emotional and physical game,” Sims said.

“You can’t stay on that adrenaline cloud for an 11-day turnaround, it’s just unrealistic.

“We all had to take two seconds and get away and unwind a bit from footy but we’re right back into it.

“Melbourne have been the benchmark for so many years and, going on their last two performances, they’re definitely building into the Storm that we all know and expect week in week out.

“They compete for every scrap and we’re under no illusions, they’re coming here to pick a fight. We’ve got to be up to the challenge.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...rcer-a-nightmare-for-rival-halfbacks/?cs=3713
I’ve always liked Tariq, from when he debuted and looked like a pretty special talent. He’s rapidly becoming a favourite, great attitude on field, and putting legal clean hurtings on opponents. I hope he does get to play Origin.

As I wipe the egg off my face whilst typing this post, i'd like to give a huge wrap to Tariq.

In the off-season I wasn't sure about Tariq starting on our left edge. In fact at one stage I had both Leilua and Host ahead in the pecking order before I had Sims there. Boy was I wrong. He has completely stepped it up this year and is even looking like an upgrade on Thompson.

It's not just his mongrel, it's the effort areas that he's struggled with in the past. He's looking fit as f**k and putting in 100% for his team-mates. Great to see.
I had tagged him from last season playing out of position.
Late last year when our forwards were running on empty, he stood out like a beacon.
I think he was just getting his confidence and fitness back at that stage.
Look at him go this season. Just a an uncompromising, brutal competitor who is having a massive impact on the psychology of the opposition.
Some may remember that this guy was a boom youngster when he first hit the scene with the Cowboys and has since endured two broken legs that shattered his confidence.
He is rewinding the clock and we can all see why he was hyped up as a youngster.
Now he has is not only one of our best forwards but he is also one of our smartest.
Plays with intelligence and composure and has totally overshadowed Thompson since his departure.
Massive plus for us.

Frank Facer

First Grade
2010 we had Beau Scott, Neville Costigan and Jeremy Smith
2018 we have Tariq

Need more grub.
We've got Tariq Sims, DeBelin and Frizell this year. I would take those 3 over Scott, Costigan and Smith. Add Vaughn and Graham to this year's pack and Ah Mau coming off the bench and this year's pack is better than 2010 and just as tough, if not tougher.

Gareth67

First Grade
Scott was the only one with "Grub".
The other two were just hard nosed forwards - especially Smith.
Played his best in the big occasion games.

Agree Dennis , all 3 had a job to do and done it ever so well , really added some sting to the Dragons defence during those 3 years . Loved Costigan's tackling, the bloke buried them into the turf and was a cornerstone of the Big Red V's dominance during that time .

slippery5

Juniors
We've got Tariq Sims, DeBelin and Frizell this year. I would take those 3 over Scott, Costigan and Smith. Add Vaughn and Graham to this year's pack and Ah Mau coming off the bench and this year's pack is better than 2010 and just as tough, if not tougher.
We just need to add Coops, Gaz & B.Moz & possible team of the decade.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Agree Dennis , all 3 had a job to do and done it ever so well , really added some sting to the Dragons defence during those 3 years . Loved Costigan's tackling, the bloke buried them into the turf and was a cornerstone of the Big Red V's dominance during that time .

Neville Cost-a-game could surely tackle but struggled holding onto the ball.
There were games where he excelled in both.

Sims has been amazing this season.

Don't know who is responsible for his new found attitude.

Could be Sir James. Could be Mary.

Whoever has revved him up should be given free beers at the Leagues Club for life.

He is making a serious contribution to winning games.

getsmarty

Immortal
Resurgent Sims captures St George Illawarra Player of the Year gong
Local Sport
r0_0_5191_3576_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOP GONG: Tariq Sims was crowned Dragons Player of the Year on Wednesday night. Picture: AAP

IT was early November when Tariq Sims marched into Paul McGregor's office and said “I want to own that left edge.”

McGregor granted his wish and, on Wednesday night, Sims was named Dragons Player of the Year, capping a stunning career resurgence six years after two horrific broken legs almost ended his career.

The frank chat with McGregor followed the preseason departure of former left edge enforcer Joel Thompson to Manly, with Sims having spent the bulk of his time at the club in the middle.

The return to the edge, where he first burst on the scene as a 21-year-old in 2011, saw a return to the form that had him earmarked as an Origin star in waiting.

That long-awaited Blues debut occurred in Origin III this year with a remarkable first-half hat-trick against Brisbane in week one of the finals the exclamation point on an outstanding campaign.

The Gerringong product saw off a stiff challenge from fellow NSW forwards Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin to claim the award that will go some way towards easing the pain of a meniscus tear that forced him from the park in his side's one-point semi-final loss to the Rabbitohs.

Having undergone surgery, the 28-year-old is facing a three to four-month recovery that should see him back to full fitness well ahead of the 2019 season.

In the other major awards handed out at Pyrmont's Doltone House, Holli Wheeler was named the inaugural women's premiership player of the year, the cherry on top of her Jillaroos selection earlier this week.

It goes with NSW and Prime Minister's XIII jumpers in a stellar campaign for the Mid-North Coast product.

Warriors-bound prop Leeson Ah Mau received the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy as a parting gift, while dual New Zealand international Honey Hireme picked up Daniel Lacey's NRLW Coach's Award.

r355_0_2800_1599_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MVP: Holli Wheeler was named Dragons Women's Player of the Year on Wednesday night. Picture: AAP

Frizell was voted as the Red V Members' Player of the Year on the back of another outstanding season, while skipper Gareth Widdop was awarded the Dragons' Immortals Trophy.

Young centre Matheson Johns won the Paul McGregor trophy as under 20s Player of the Year, while Reece Robson was named Intrust Super Premiership (ISP) Player of the Year.

In the off-field awards, Jeremy Latimore was the recipient of the Mark Coyne Trophy for career development and young front-rower Josh Kerr won the community involvement award.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...tures-dragons-player-of-the-year-gong/?cs=302

Latest posts