What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Interesting comments from Tariq. Obviously, the well dried up on the outside, as well as the thought of uprooting his family to elsewhere (ESL for example). Maybe the offers were lower for 2yrs than staying with us for 1 with the possibility of getting another in '23 (here or elsewhere at significantly less coin eg 200k or 300k for example. I'm ok with him staying, however, I think his time on the edge has come to an end.
This is also been recognised by the coaching staff and hence their pursuit of Niukore and Kikau.

So, for mine, Tariq moves to a middle forward role and possibly from the bench. I can see him used as a prop and/or lock.

If moved to the middle then our prop/lock situation (as it stands) looks like this.

Lawrie, Alvaro, JHunt*, Kerr, Maguire**, Faama, Molo, Burgess and Sims
* not sure where he is signed to ie top 30 or DS or even not at all.
** suspended

Starting props - (as it stands)
Molo & Lawrie

Bench props - (as it stands)
Burgess & Sims (Sims to cover both prop, lock and if needed can go to the edge forward role)

Edge forwards is another area to look at:
I'd have Sua definitely to start on the right with either Burns or Fui starting on the left, my preference is Burns with Fui taking the bench role.

Anyway just my opinion and it is as it stands now. Of course if we sign other players, this will change.
Hopefully if Sims is going to play prop he plays there all pre season though because the games I’ve seen him play prop he’s looked bog average imo. Probably even worse at lock, watch that game he captained from lock recently, he offered nothing. I would have JDB, McGuire and Fui ahead of him in that order. Hopefully with a good pre season just concentrating on one position at prop and playing shorter but more aggressive minutes he can prove me wrong in emphatic fashion.

ALSGI

Bench
Well in the 80s I managed the Australian Cadet Corp (School Cadets). Had an office overlooking the parade ground. What did you do?
Ah the cadets eh. I used to get really annoyed seeing school boys on the train in Army uniform wearing Sergeant and Warrant Officer rank! Lol.
I was a Soldier mate, a Corporal whilst at Vic Bks for about 3years. I worked ground floor (doorway C) before moving out to Holsworthy as a Sergeant. (Townsville and Puckapunyal before that).

blacksafake

First Grade
Hopefully if Sims is going to play prop he plays there all pre season though because the games I’ve seen him play prop he’s looked bog average imo. Probably even worse at lock, watch that game he captained from lock recently, he offered nothing. I would have JDB, McGuire and Fui ahead of him in that order. Hopefully with a good pre season just concentrating on one position at prop and playing shorter but more aggressive minutes he can prove me wrong in emphatic fashion.
Tend to agree FCD
Maybe that game was more a case of spitting the dummy after being told he wouldn’t be getting an extension.
Anyway for me he’s now a bench player with those you’ve named ahead of him as well as Burns.

possm

Coach
Ah the cadets eh. I used to get really annoyed seeing school boys on the train in Army uniform wearing Sergeant and Warrant Officer rank! Lol.
I was a Soldier mate, a Corporal whilst at Vic Bks for about 3years. I worked ground floor (doorway C) before moving out to Holsworthy as a Sergeant. (Townsville and Puckapunyal before that).
Wow, we probably know each other. I was on the top floor near Admin Branch. Moved office a couple of times when they were refurbishing the building but only by a couple of doors.

Russell Faifax's girlfriend at the time, (Karen Smith) worked in the office next to me. Beautiful blonde with blue eyes and a lovely smile.

My boss was Col. Crawford (Director of Cadets) and later Brig. Clifton (Director of Cadets). In those days Cadets were under Field Force Command.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Wow, we probably know each other. I was on the top floor near Admin Branch. Moved office a couple of times when they were refurbishing the building. Russell Faifax's girlfriend worked in the office next to me.

My boss was Col. Crawford (Director of Cadets) and later Brig. Clifton. I was an appointed Major SO2 Cadets.

ALSGI

Bench
Wow, we probably know each other. I was on the top floor near Admin Branch. Moved office a couple of times when they were refurbishing the building but only by a couple of doors.

Russell Faifax's girlfriend at the time, (Karen Smith) worked in the office next to me. Beautiful blonde with blue eyes and a lovely smile.

My boss was Col. Crawford (Director of Cadets) and later Brig. Clifton (Director of Cadets). In those days Cadets were under Field Force Command.
Gee wiz Possm, we would have run into each other for sure! I used to play touch footy on the parade ground at lunch time!

SnowDragon

Juniors
I get it a few are annoyed about how this played out in the media. (Me2)

however, Simms is a leader on and off the park, and come the Important games you definitely want him in the team. Sure he can clock off a bit when others around him do, but I for one and so glad he is staying another year.

denis preston

First Grade
I get it a few are annoyed about how this played out in the media. (Me2)

however, Simms is a leader on and off the park, and come the Important games you definitely want him in the team. Sure he can clock off a bit when others around him do, but I for one and so glad he is staying another year.
It's the money SD. We paid him as a SOO representative forward but the last 2 seasons we have been getting 350k performances on a 700k contract.The mind is very willing but the body won't respond day in day out. I too hope he thrives in the competition for places and the new "vibe "about the place but i doubt it. Perhaps he will be Hooks pet irrespective of his performances and become our 2022 Whipping boy ?

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Hope he plays in the middle this year. Bench or starting prop. He's lost a bit of speed/power that you need for his role at 2rf but it's still good enough for the middle role.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
With debellin rumoured to move there as well it’s going to be very crowded up front !

Yep, good to have some depth and competition for spots. Think we'll use a lot of rotations through our forward pack based on form and to keep them fresh. Hope we have one core group of forwards and then the rest just rotate on a weekly basis.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Imo, our props are divided into 3 divisions:

Main group - Woods, Lawrie, Alvaro, Molo, Burgess, Kerr, Maguire & Faamasili

Secondary group - Sims & JDB

Junior group - J Hunt & Coric

Thats 12 possible candidates for 4 positions (2 starters & 2 bench)

Mobility, strength, endurance and an ability to off-load, seem to be the pre-requisites in our modern game. Hulking props are only an asset if the show and can produce the requirements mentioned above.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Imo, our props are divided into 3 divisions:

Main group - Woods, Lawrie, Alvaro, Molo, Burgess, Kerr, Maguire & Faamasili

Secondary group - Sims & JDB

Junior group - J Hunt & Coric

Thats 12 possible candidates for 4 positions (2 starters & 2 bench)

Mobility, strength, endurance and an ability to off-load, seem to be the pre-requisites in our modern game. Hulking props are only an asset if the show and can produce the requirements mentioned above.
Sorry, don't agree with your ratings. Sims (if he stays) and JDB (like him or not) would be picked ahead of Alvaro, Kerr, Maguire and Faamasili. I do still hope that Faamasili improves markedly after doing his second full preseason.