What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor denied job with Souths

yy_cheng

Coach
Taylor denied job with Souths
By James Hooper
April 15, 2006

PARRAMATTA'S coaching merry-go-round has taken another twist with Eels assistant Jason Taylor denied a request to join rival South Sydney.

Just two days after defence coach Peter Sharp announced he was walking out on the Eels to assume a head coaching role at English club Hull, Taylor has had a release request to link with the Rabbitohs torpedoed.
The get-out move from Taylor comes with the Eels in the midst of a woeful start to 2006, having won just one game from five.
While South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson confirmed the Rabbitohs wanted Taylor on board immediately, Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald last night defended his decision to keep the 2001 grand final halfback at the Eels.

"We've got a contract with him and I believe in contracts," Fitzgerald said.
Questioned over the chances of Taylor replacing outgoing head coach Brian Smith this season, Fitzgerald replied: "None whatsoever. We've got a contract with Brian too."

Despite Sharp inking a new three-year deal to remain at Parramatta until the end of 2009 last month, the former Manly coach has been allowed to part company with Parramatta through an escape clause.

Sharp last night praised the Eels' handling of his overseas departure, saying: "I had a clause that if I got a head coaching job they would let me go and they were very decent about it."
Intriguingly, Taylor remains the only member of the current Parramatta coaching staff yet to be re-signed for next season under incoming coach Michael Hagan.

http://sport.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18819190-23214,00.html

bartman

Immortal
:( Sounds like a few important people have been looking for a quick getaway lately...

Kornstar

Coach
I think our season is over.......all this movement or wanted movement can't be good for us!!!

Hurriflatch

Referee
If he doesn't want to be here let JT go

or he might just get sick of city life and move the Redfern :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm not expecting JT to be here next season, I am however expecting Farrer and Fairleigh to be recruited as Hagan's assistants.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Smithy is going and is not a happy camper
Sharp is packed and gone
JT wants out

Hard to imagine all the players have their minds on the job with what is effectively now a coaching vacuum.

Avenger

Immortal
JT has dissapointed me. He wanted to leave this season and just get another gig with the same role at Souths.

strider

Post Whore
Avenger said:
JT has dissapointed me. He wanted to leave this season and just another gig with the same role at Souths.

Yeah I know what you mean ..... altho it might have been the same gig, it may have had more likelihood of turning into a top man gig - Souths only re-signed mr pringles for 1 yr didn't they? Hages got 3yrs

thedux

Juniors
F*ck them all... I'm not a Fitzy fan by any stretch but at least he gave BS plenty of time to make other plans. These other guys are heading for the hills because things have gotten a little tough of late. Can't blame a guy for looking after his future but it just sounds like sour grapes from JT because he would be doing the same thing at another club. It's the Shane Flanagan scenario all over again!!

strider

Post Whore
You can't blame Sharp for taking hte role he did - he even had a clause in his contract about it .... he got offered a top coach job - thats every coaches aim isn't it - you can't kock back the opportunities when they come - he had every right to take it.

Tough call really isn't it?

I mean, Fitzy is right - a contract is a contract. Just look at my opinion regarding Jamie Lyon...........

But then again, there are obvious differences between Lyon and JT/Ash/Sharpie:

*Lyon - simply walked out on his contract because he felt like it. Had a secure future at the Club and there was no uncertainty regarding his place, security, future etc. He walked because he was a little crybaby that couldn't handle the situation and didn't feel like dealing with it like a man.

*Sharp - Quite simply, leaving was part of his contract, if the right circumctances arose. No question here this one is fine.

*Ash/JT - Both under contracts without get-out clauses, similar to Lyon. But there are massive differences here:

a) They didn't walk. Any proposed or realised changes to their status/contracts were dealt with via the proper channels and in a mature and rational fashion.

b) They know they don't have a future at Parra. We're in an unusual situation here, as we all know. Ash knew the writing was on the wall for him, and it looks to be the same regarding JT if all the rumours are true. The other thing was, Parra knew it for Ash too. Final year of his contract, everyone knew he wasn't hanging around, so why not deal with it now in a way beneficial to both parties?

I 100% believe in the validity of contracts. Disregarding my personal desire to have Smith as Coach, this was my main reason for not sacking him throughout the past few years. We had signed a contract and we were obliged to see it through. But this situation is different, and due to its unique nature I would not necessarily be opposed to releasing JT from his contract so that he can settle his future.

Part of being a successful and moral Club is looking after the best interests of your employees - whether they be staff or players. If JT and Ash were willing to deal with the situations in a reasonable and mature manner, then they should be given the courtesy of having their propositions respectfully reviewed. If our plans are to have JT here next year, then keep him on. But, if the administration are already of the view that he will not be retained beyond 06, then it might just be the responsible and mature thing to let him settle elsewhere.

However, having said that, if the administration believe he is integral to our chances of winning the Premiership this year, then it's a different story. We also have the responsibility to the current staff, player base and fans to do our utmost to become Premiers in 06. If losing JT will put a dent in our hopes and abilities to do this, shouldn't he be retained until his contract expires?

Not such an easy question to answer either way as it may seem upon forst glance.

varion

Juniors
I dont think JT has than killer mongrel in him to be a winner at the top level (like he showed being a bridesmaid during his playing days - both premiership wise and rep footy wise).

If he wanted to go, we should of accomodated as its obvious theres no future for him at the club with Hagan coming in.

bartman

Immortal
You can't blame JT and Sharpie really... think about in your own jobs, if your boss left and you'd done the hard yards and you'd previously been (in Sharpie's case) or been publically told (in JT's case) that you were up to that level, and then the powers that be bring in someone from outside, you'd feel disenchanted or hemmed in, and start to look around for other opportunities.

It was a really big call to appoint Hagan, given the disruption that decision has and is still causing. Let's hope the payback from next season and onwards is worth it?

parra pete

Referee
In my opinion, JT is employed as integral part of the coaching staff for 2006. He should not be looking towards 2007 UNTIL that part of his contract has been fulfilled.
Everyone knows that I am a HUGE Brian Smith fan. But, I knew, he knew, and everyone else knew he was not going to get an extension past the end of this season. I can't see how it is disruptive to confirm that to him, and engage a new bloke for 2007.
He is a professional and is concentrating on 2006...which everyone who supports the Club should be doing. 2007 will get here soon enough...

yy_cheng

Coach
bartman said:
You can't blame JT and Sharpie really... think about in your own jobs, if your boss left and you'd done the hard yards and you'd previously been (in Sharpie's case) or been publically told (in JT's case) that you were up to that level, and then the powers that be bring in someone from outside, you'd feel disenchanted or hemmed in, and start to look around for other opportunities.

It was a really big call to appoint Hagan, given the disruption that decision has and is still causing. Let's hope the payback from next season and onwards is worth it?

Sounds like Mick Witt.

Latest posts