What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor made coach

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,16793619-5001023,00.html
Taylor made coach
By JAMES PHELPS

October 03, 2005

PARRAMATTA boss Denis Fitzgerald believes Premier League coach Jason Taylor will become a successful first-grade mentor after his side secured the lower grade title yesterday.

Taylor's Premier League outfit proved far too strong for a spirited Sydney Roosters side, recording a 31-12 victory.

For Taylor, it was a win that underlined his potential as a top-level coach.

"I think J T certainly has the potential to go on and become a first-grade coach," Fitzgerald said.

"Jason's performance has been excellent and I'm very happy about the win.

"It's always good to win a competition."

Taylor was overjoyed with his maiden coaching premiership and said a job at the top level was his target.

"I want to keep my career ticking on. I enjoy it and at the end you have to do what you like and I really enjoy it," Taylor said. "I want to keep moving ahead and I will keep my options open."

While Taylor was revelling in his first major coaching success, on the field it was 17-year-old Jarryd Hayne who stole the spotlight with two tries.

Hayne was only promoted into the side after sometime first-graders Matt Petersen and Aaron Cannings were ruled out for the decider under the League's complicated eligibility criteria.

"Jarryd Hayne, who played on the wing, he's just 17 years of age – you'll be hearing about him if you haven't already," Taylor said.

"The players that were here today have done the job all year. It would have been nice to have those two players in the side, but I never doubted the boys who would come in for them for a second."

Both of Hayne's tries came in the first half, setting a platform as the Eels never looked like losing.

Fullback Joel Reddy opened the scoring when he burst on to a Josh Cordoba offload to take Parramatta out to a 6-0 lead.

The Eels extended their lead to 12 points when winger Hayne crashed over in the corner after taking a good ball from Henry Perenara.

Hayne scored again from close range on the stroke of halftime to give the minor premiers a commanding 18-0 lead. The Eels lost none of their momentum in the second half, taking just seven minutes to post their fouth try of the match.

Winger Ashley Graham split the defence five metres out from the Roosters line and ran under the sticks to score and take Parramatta out to a 24-0 lead.

The Roosters opened their account in the 50th minute when back-rower Nigel Plum barged over from close range to make it 24-6.

Then classy half Jamie Soward combined with Sam Perret to put winger Michael Lett over in the corner to cut the deficit to 24-12. Parramatta 31 (J Hayne 2, J Reddy, A Graham, D Dalton tries; B Delaney 5 goals, M Perenara field goal)
Sydney Roosters 12 (M Lett, N Plum tries; J Soward 2 goals)
At Telstra Stadium
Referee: B Cummins.

Sounds like he'll take over

Angry_eel

First Grade
ye i knew would eventually take over but how long do you guys reckon it'll be. There's no way they won't see out smith's contract.

half

Coach
jason does have some seriously awesome players at his disposal, but he has shown that he isn't totally cursed, which is a real bonus as far as i'm concerned. though he's an asshole cos he didn't really shake my hand on the victory lap

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I reckon JT would be an excellent choice for coach. The only possible flaw could be he may be too scared to drop the likes of Vella and Burt when they f**k up but that's just an assumption.

I bet he'd be giving the likes of Inu and Hayne a run though, he won't hold them back.

Angry_eel

First Grade
ParraDude_Jay said:
I reckon JT would be an excellent choice for coach. The only possible flaw could be he may be too scared to drop the likes of Vella and Burt when they f**k up but that's just an assumption.

I bet he'd be giving the likes of Inu and Hayne a run though, he won't hold them back.

Smith won't hold them back, just wait till we need them

I can think of many people I'd rather have coaching my club then a guy that folded under pressure like it was his lifes calling.

half

Coach
smith bloods youngsters incredibly well. i guess he fkd up with tonga but that's about it, right?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
nospam49™ said:
I can think of many people I'd rather have coaching my club then a guy that folded under pressure like it was his lifes calling.

Taylor will be a much better coach than John Lang at least. JT wouldn't sign every single nuffy he can get his hands on!

O'Halloran, Youngquest, Thompson :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, great coach you have there, League Fraud.

ParraDude_Jay said:
Taylor will be a much better coach than John Lang at least. JT wouldn't sign every single nuffy he can get his hands on!

O'Halloran, Youngquest, Thompson :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, great coach you have there, League Fraud.

Jason Taylor doesnt have an NRL title. So who the **** cares what he would and wouldnt do! :cool:

bartman

Immortal
Warning Eels fans, don't bite...
troll%20-%201.5.jpg

Eelectrica

Referee
I think a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd will be the way to go when hiring a new coach. That way it's an each way but. If it works out the contract can be extended, if not at least the damage can be minimised.

BTW John Lang is a fine NRL coach. To bad he won't be available when Smithy calls it a day.

Eelectrica said:
I think a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd will be the way to go when hiring a new coach. That way it's an each way but. If it works out the contract can be extended, if not at least the damage can be minimised.

BTW John Lang is a fine NRL coach. To bad he won't be available when Smithy calls it a day.

I wouldnt like to put my money on that.

Penrith has a history of burning out coaches and even this year some rumours were floating around about Lang wanting out.

Now, Im not saying they are true, they could be complete crap. But Ive rarely heard a rumour that didnt have something behind it.

I think Lang would do wonders with the Eels. You rely to much on athletes and not enough on footballers.

Lang is very big on selecting footbalers in his side and I think with the mix he would have at Parramatta, things would happen.

eelz47

Coach
but would jt be more of a mate to the 1st grade players and not a coach?
(u get what i mean)

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
nospam49™ said:
Lang is very big on selecting footbalers in his side and I think with the mix he would have at Parramatta, things would happen.

He's also very big on selecting extremely talented second rowers at lock and not changing things when they aren't working. The latter would be especially scary.

But every coach has his faults I guess, JT deserves at least a chance to make the job his own.

Y2Eel

First Grade
nospam49™ said:
I wouldnt like to put my money on that.

Penrith has a history of burning out coaches and even this year some rumours were floating around about Lang wanting out.

Now, Im not saying they are true, they could be complete crap. But Ive rarely heard a rumour that didnt have something behind it.

I think Lang would do wonders with the Eels. You rely to much on athletes and not enough on footballers.

So thats why he had to let joe and ross go??

No way would i want him he would clear out all our players and our junior base would be stuffed...

Caged Panther

First Grade
I think that could be JT's biggest problem as a coach would he be a coach or a mate. Personally I think it was one of Nathan Brown's biggest problems when he started at the Dragons not to mention Simmons with the Panthers.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Caged Panther said:
I think that could be JT's biggest problem as a coach would he be a coach or a mate. Personally I think it was one of Nathan Brown's biggest problems when he started at the Dragons not to mention Simmons with the Panthers.

I think JT is a little older than Brown is and JT has only played with a few blokes in the first grade squad..

Avenger

Immortal
After his success yesterday I cannot see anyone but Taylor taking over from Smith.

Redback71

First Grade
and one of the big bounes is his goal and generaly kicking game and we can allready see the benefits filtering thru. just look at dealanys kicking how awesome those 2 from the side line

Latest posts