What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2012!!

Joel-22

Juniors
1.Darius Boyd
2.Akiula Uate
3.Wes Naquima
4.Junior Sau
5.James McManus
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Kurt Gidley
8.Evarn Tuimavave
9.Matt Hilder
10.Kade Snowden
11.Nev Costigan
12.Timana Tahu
13.Joel Edwards

14.Zeb Taia
15.Richie Faaso
16.Zane Tetevano
17.Danny Buderus

that's a fearsome forward pack, capable of dominating any in the comp

Perth Knights

Juniors
1.Darius Boyd
2.Akiula Uate
3.Wes Naquima
4.Junior Sau
5.James McManus
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Kurt Gidley
8.Evarn Tuimavave
9.Matt Hilder
10.Kade Snowden
11.Nev Costigan
12.Timana Tahu
13.Joel Edwards

14.Zeb Taia
15.Richie Faaso
16.Zane Tetevano
17.Danny Buderus

that's a fearsome forward pack, capable of dominating any in the comp

Not sure about playing Tahu in the second row. Notwithstanding, you missed one of our better secondrowers ... Houston!! Surely he has to start in the run on squad?

billy2

Juniors
Article in the paper today points out that Gidley, Mullen and Stig will all be in the rehab group when the pre season starts.

Makes it interesting for Wayne. He will be trying out new plays and systems with Tyrone Roberts and maybe Briggsy or Api Pewhairangi as the playmakers.

Stick

Juniors
I liked Joel's team (ignoring the omission)
1. Boyd
2. Uata
3. Tahu
4. Wes
5. McManus
6. Mullen
7. Gidley
8. Snowden
14. Hilder
10. Tuimavave
11. Houston
12. Taia
13. Costigan

9. Buderus
15. Fa'aoso
16. Edwards
17. McKinnon

It makes sense to me to have Hilder start and then use a Buderus injection to bring the crowd into play sometime in the 1st half. Move Hilder to the back and Costigan to the front and you can replace a tired prop. I expect (maybe optimistically) Bedsy will be able to play the last 55-60 minutes straight; we'll need him at the death. I switched their jerseys which hardly matters except for the travesty should Buderus play with anything other than a 9 on his knights jersey. Hilder has the same level of ownership over the 14.

I'm a big fan of Edwards but I think Costigan is better in the middle than the fringe and Wayne will always start Costigan. Mind you this is a full strength side and one we can't expect to field all that often. Gives the starters some motivation with Edwards breathing down their neck, ask Hayne what its like having Edwards hunt you from behind.

I haven't seen a lot of McKinnon but I expect he would have better utility value in covering the outside backs while cycling in the back-row rotation as Edwards and Costigan have stints at prop. Plus i doubt Wayne brought him all this way not to play him.

It's been said a lot but it's a very good side with a lot of resilience and flexibility but unfortunately will all hinge on our halves.

aqua_duck

Coach
I wonder where the Daine Laurie situation is at, I reckon Bennett could get some good impact minutes out of him

Yosh

Coach
Hi Stick,

As much as I am not a fan of Sau, I believe WB is... I wonder how'll Sau will improve next season, because if he doesn't he has a thousand people breathing down his neck:

Wes
McKinnon
Liki
McManus
Others I have forgotten about...

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Sau will improve next year.

He's been a bit one dimensional in the last few years, but he's still a powerful ball runner and there are definitely things he can work on. Passing, footwork etc will hopefully be an area where the new coaching staff can help him improve on his game, over the off-season. I think he'll be one of our bigger surprises next year, actually.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
Hi Stick,

As much as I am not a fan of Sau, I believe WB is... I wonder how'll Sau will improve next season, because if he doesn't he has a thousand people breathing down his neck:

Wes
McKinnon
Liki
McManus
Others I have forgotten about...
will be starting on the wing

I Junior develops a pass worth a crap he will be one of the most damaging centres in the game. He commits defenders as we all know with his maori sidestep.

Yosh

Coach
Or he should change his style and play more of a hitting holes type of centre. He'll be impossible to stop if he hits the line/holes hard.

perverse

Referee
i don't think Stick's team is far off (and welcome to the forums). this would be mine:

1. Boyd
2. Uate
3. Wes
4. Sau
5. McManus
6. Mullen
7. Gidley
8. Snowden
9. Buderus
10. Tuimavave
11. Houston
12. Taia
13. Costigan

14. Hilder
15. Edwards
16. Fa'aoso
17. Tetevano

i don't really feel that Tahu should/will be a walk up start. he may well force his way into the team... and i hope he does. injury will provide opportunity, no doubt. McManus will win Bennett over with his work ethic and attention to detail, i'm sure... at least enough to retain his wing spot out of the gates next year. Fa'aoso and Tetevano both provide flexibility and power from the bench... either can play in the back or front row, and ditto Eddy for that matter. Hilder is also versatile. Buderus to play the first and last 20 of each half... maybe more in the big matches. i'm not 100% sure who will play where between Houston and Costigan... it depends whether Bennett prefers Neville or House out wide.

Snowys back/neck concerns me.

i think that's a big, scary, capable team... with strike power out wide and in the forwards. we have some crazy depth, too. it's all going to depend on how the spine works out. if Mullen can't shine like a diamond amongst this lot then he never will.

Last edited:
What I like about these teams is most people have Mullen at 5/8 and not halfback where we all know he is a much better player. Gives him more opportunity to pick his moments and he has that lethal left to right pass which IMO he does not use to its full potential, he is also one of the fastest players over 10-20m which he does not use enough at halfback. Having him at 5/8 allows him to play more to his strengths.

slotmachine

First Grade
1. Boyd
2. Uate
3. Wes
4. Sau
5. McManus
6. Mullen
7. Gidley
8. Snowden
9. Buderus
10. Tuimavave
11. Houston
12. Taia
13. Costigan

14. Hilder
15. Edwards
16. Fa'aoso
17. Tetevano

I think that's very close to what Uncle Wayne will trot out come Round 1.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I Junior develops a pass worth a crap he will be one of the most damaging centres in the game. He commits defenders as we all know with his maori sidestep.

Or he should change his style and play more of a hitting holes type of centre. He'll be impossible to stop if he hits the line/holes hard.

Jnr needs to work on his defence more than anything. He often hits high and bounces off or mis-reads the play forcing Jimmy to come in and help.

I am always cringing when the opposition shift to his side of the field close to our line

Yosh

Coach
Indeed... His defense has never been great...

So where does Cutho fit in? Who do we drop?

Latest posts