What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for first semi

roopy

Referee
Seage
Carney
Midley
Carmont
Quinn
Mullen
Johns
Perry
Buderus
Woolnough
Newton
Simpson
Reynoldson

Smith
Davico
Abraham
Kidley

No place for Tanner, Thaiday, Lowrie or Brown.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think excluding Thaiday is a bad move. Whilst his defensive lapses at the back are a problem, his spark and impact is just the kind of x-factor that could tip a hard fought final in our favour. Not sure where to fit him, but there's got to be room somewhere there for him. My side would be:

1: Milton Thaiday
2: Brian Carney
3: Matthew Gidley
4: George Carmont
5: Anthony Quinn
6: Jarrod Mullen
7: Andrew Johns (c)
8: Craig Smith
9: Danny Buderus
10: Josh Perry
11: Steve Simpson
12: Clint Newton
13: Kirk Reynoldson

14: Adam Woolnough
15: Luke Davico
16: Daniel Abraham
17: Kurt Gidley

Burwood

Bench
The most competition for places will be in our backrow. It should (touch wood) be the first time this year that we have had every player available for selection, and unfortunately a couple of the guys who have been in good form lately will miss out.

Lowrie will be in PL, along with Brown. Tanner and Abraham will fight it out for a bench spot and it is hard to see who Hagan will go for.

Seage- regardless of form- won't be fullback unless Thaiday is still out injured. Mullen and Kidley are both 50-50 chances of playing 5/8th, with the loser getting the remaining spot on the bench.

Boxer

Juniors
I would make two changes to the team you have selected here.

Woolnough would retain his run on spot & Smith would sit on the bench. Wooly has done nothing wrong that would require him being replaced by a player that hasn't played for a month.

Thaiday would not be in my team at all.
Seage's performances in PL {even though he was not F/back}and against Penrith last night make him the best choice at this time.
Milton's game has simply not been good enough since his comeback to warrant him being given the #1 position in semi final football.

Alex28

Coach
It comes down to this - are we confident enough in our point scoring ability and in Milton's form at present to sacrifice points in his defence and ball security at fullback?

I would suggest no - he has looked ordinary since he came back from injury, he is not the same player he was late last season or earlier this season at present. We are talking a major game that could essentially finish our season - we really shouldn't take a punt on him.

Seage proved he is more than capable in attack (short memories...) and is our best option in defence (just the one error last night - no missed tackles at all. Thaiday has missed 2 per game for the last 4 games - how many lead to tries?).

Roopy's team sounds fine - the interesting selection will be Mullen or Kidley. I know where common sense would select, however we are talking Hages here...

Gene Krupa

Referee
CWBush said:
I think excluding Thaiday is a bad move. Whilst his defensive lapses at the back are a problem, his spark and impact is just the kind of x-factor that could tip a hard fought final in our favour. Not sure where to fit him, but there's got to be room somewhere there for him. My side would be:

I can't agree with you on Thiaday CW. Seage more than proved that he's more than equal to Miltons current form last night. I never felt nervous when he was under the high ball and everytime he touched the ball, he looked like he was going to do something. Plus he RAN the ball from the take, something that Milton is reluctant to do. I honestly think that Thaiday wouldn't have come close to scoring the try that Seage did. I think Thaiday will have to bide his time til next year and let Seage do what he did so well last night.

Master Vippo

Juniors
Totally agreed on Seage at the back, but there may be room for Thaiday on the bench i think.

Seage
Carney
Gidley
Carmont
Quinn
Mullen
Johns
Perry
Buderus
Woolnough
Simpson
Newton
Reynoldson

Smith
Davico
Kidley
Thaiday

I know Tanner will be there somewhere, but i think that side would have the goods!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Problem there is that the bench is very light on. Only two forwards (both props) and then you've got two backs. It's a pity Kidley has to be there at all, really. I'd like to see Thaiday on the bench and another forward there. Mullen has more than proved that he's leagues ahead of Kidley.

Master Vippo

Juniors
Yeah, but i wouldnt really have a problem with Kurt in the back row. He can take runs, offload, and everyone knows he can tackle all day.

I Hagan would never pick that side though..

TooheysNew

Coach
Have you changed your mind about Kidley and Mullen, roopy? Or is there another reason you've got Kidley on the bench?

keeney

First Grade
CWBush said:

1: Milton Thaiday
2: Brian Carney
3: Matthew Gidley
4: George Carmont
5: Anthony Quinn
6: Jarrod Mullen
7: Andrew Johns (c)
8: Craig Smith
9: Danny Buderus
10: Josh Perry
11: Steve Simpson
12: Clint Newton
13: Kirk Reynoldson

14: Adam Woolnough
15: Luke Davico
16: Daniel Abraham
17: Kurt Gidley

Fair enough if you think his attacking spark could turn a game. But I'm far more confident that his lapses will do the opposite, particularly in finals football. Seage is a good enough runner, and Thaiday's better in a lot of roles.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
roopy said:
Seage
Carney
Midley
Carmont
Quinn
Mullen
Johns
Perry
Buderus
Woolnough
Newton
Simpson
Reynoldson

Smith
Davico
Abraham
Kidley

No place for Tanner, Thaiday, Lowrie or Brown.

Great team. That would be mine also.

antonius

Coach
I think Roopys team is the strongest we could field. I'm curious at your change of heart at the 6 posi as well Roops ;-) I don't know that will be the team Hagan selects though. I can see Tanner being fitted in there somewhere probably at the expense of Abes. Don't be surprised to see Kidley at 6 either, and Milton at fullback. That's the way Hagan has seen it all year, he prob feels he owes it to Tanner and Kidley. Seage is a must at 1, as is Mullen at 6, I think Abes is the one in your side most likely to miss out. But like I said, if he selects the team on form then yours is it Roopy.

Jono078

Referee
I like what Roopy selected.

Wouldnt change 1 bit. Seage V Thaiday is tough.. who knows in the next 2 weeks Thaiday could be 100% fit and confident with a fair bit of training, then there is Seage who has been one of our best players each time he's played with some confidence.

Will be interesting to see what Hagan does, but im expecting a copy and paste with Johns in the team and someone left out.

roopy

Referee
Dilmah said:
Have you changed your mind about Kidley and Mullen, roopy? Or is there another reason you've got Kidley on the bench?
I haven't really changed my mind - i would start Kidley and have Mullen on the bench for a few reasons - but there comes a time when you have to except you are a lone voice crying in the wilderness.

K-Man

Bench
Thaiday has to be in the team. He's the only back we have that can genuinely match the attacking spark and threat of guys like Inglis, Slater, SBW etc.

The way I see it is, if we were the best team in the competition by far then we might as well just go with the safest fullback who won't let us down.
But we are the challengers, we need to produce our absolute best to win the premiership and our absolute best includes a Milton Thaiday blinder. I think he's capable of a huge game in the finals, and I think he will produce it.

No disrespect to Seage at all, he's a fine player.

1. Thaiday
2. Quinn
3. Carmont (Still Tighe if I had my way though)
4. Gidley
5. Carney
6. Mullen
7. Johns
8. Perry
9. Buderus
10. Woolnough
11. Simpson
12. Newton
13. Kidley

14. Brown
15. Abraham
16. Reynoldson
17. Davico

No room for Smith (a big call I know, but his form wasn't as good before his injury and his match fitness at 35 won't be great. The others have better claims at this point in my opinion), Lowrie, Tanner, or Seage

antonius

Coach
With all due respect, Carmonts form has been very good of late, he deserves his place in the side.

Jono078

Referee
I agree antonius.

His defence has improved alot and now his attack has picked up..

11 Hitups for 119m with 4 line breaks and 1 try. Fantastic effort last night.

Earlier in the year when he was going decent I didnt think he had much improvement left, but he's doing enough to keep his spot imo.

Master Vippo

Juniors
Yeah him and Quin are forming a really good combo (goodbye Quinn:cry: ). Your bench could be a bit light too K-man.

Latest posts