What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for next week?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The Fish really needs to look at leaving ASAP...probably should have been looking last year when Locke cemented his spot. He could be one of the guns of the comp right now.

Micistm

Bench
Not me, I was perfectly happy with Cleary.

Inu must be constantly stealing the coaches chocolate cake or something, doesn't deserve this level of Vulcanizing.

Yep, happy with Blueys appointment, and have not changed my mind-yet. There are a few things to sort, for sure, but IMO it is way too early to assess things.
As for Cleary...I think for the most part he did an okay job...and IMO I also believe many have rose tinted glasses in regard to him too. Not only did he have just as many issues with Inu (and despite people claiming to be 'in the know' there is still no real facts came out about his being on the outer), his style was boring for the most part, contained many mid season slumps, had just as many head scratcher choices in regard to sticking with some players, not promoting others and player positions etc...
He certainly gets a pass mark, but I can't help but feel some have got short memories too (A quick scroll back on these forum pages will show that). He got a fair crack of the whip, so should Bluey, and allowed to get things going the way he wants.
Personally, I would prefer Inu there too- But good luck to the team that is this week:)

Micistm

Bench
Summing up Cleary, my memory of his years will always be about steady as she goes, no frills footy that gets it done, summed up by the sentence, "lose the shark fin."
So far this year, I have enjoyed the games, and find I have less tendancy to dooze off! The first one in particular, despite losing, was a ripper.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'd have Cleary back in a heartbeat. Nothing against Bluey, who will be given time to form a good side, but Ivan's record was pretty outstanding. Regularly beating a salary cap cheating Storm ranks right up there as well.

Micistm

Bench
Don't get me wrong- I think Cleary did a lot of good here. I just feel many are remembering the highlights of the era- there was a lot of dreary, boring, non winning times as well. And boring play is tolerable if you're winning constantly...but even the Cleary eras were reknown for their slumps, only to fight back and scrape into playoffs...

Izz

Bench
Heh--perhaps it's that during the Cleary era, those who backed him were shouted down by the haters most of the time (who were usually shouting 'give us Bluey!'), so are now getting a bit of revenge.

And some of us just like to rant.

Micistm

Bench
Heh--perhaps it's that during the Cleary era, those who backed him were shouted down by the haters most of the time (who were usually shouting 'give us Bluey!'), so are now getting a bit of revenge.

And some of us just like to rant.

:lol:Nothing wrong with the good ol rant...good stress clearer!

Izz

Bench
I figure when i'm an old man i'll spend most of my time sitting on my front lawn in a rocking chair and shaking my fist and swearing at the flying cars as they whizz past.

vvvrulz

Coach
Well Bluey can go one of two ways... either build on the Cleary gameplan and take the club further, or undo the good work and send us back to the dreaded days of the mid 00's.

Time will tell!

Micistm

Bench
I figure when i'm an old man i'll spend most of my time sitting on my front lawn in a rocking chair and shaking my fist and swearing at the flying cars as they whizz past.

Meh, nothing stopping you doing that now:lol:

Micistm

Bench
Well Bluey can go one of two ways... either build on the Cleary gameplan and take the club further, or undo the good work and send us back to the dreaded days of the mid 00's.

Time will tell!

That's spot on. That's my point, it's only the third game, none have been hidings, one we won, the first one despite losing was a cracker game vs a very good team, possibly the best one.
Unless it's obvious things are turning to custard fast, new coaches deserve time to settle in. You have to accept there are reasons behind their choices. A few more games and you'll know if things are heading in the right direction or not.
And tbh, although Cleary did some good here, one of the highlights for me will be to be away from a 'Cleary gameplan.':)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Personally I'd like to see something halfway between a "Cleary gameplan" and an "Ando 2001-2002 gameplan" (I don't include 2003 cause while we were pretty successful that year we had also started to rely way too much on the "bomb to Meli's wing" tactic by that point).

aargon

Personally I'd like to see something halfway between a "Cleary gameplan" and an "Ando 2001-2002 gameplan" (I don't include 2003 cause while we were pretty successful that year we had also started to rely way too much on the "bomb to Meli's wing" tactic by that point).

+1

Izz

Bench
If we build into matches we'll naturally blow most other teams off the park by the 50 minute mark. But we seem to have been given free reign to play flashy football right from minute 1. Our team is so stacked with scoring ability that we can win most arm-wrestles within 20-30 minutes if we go the right way about it.

vvvrulz

Coach
So in other words, opening 20-30 mins of Cleary and then switch to the Ando plan for the rest?
Sounds like a winning formula to me!

Micistm

Bench
I don't want to see anyones gameplan other than the current coach. Right or wrong, I want to see what he can do. Personally I have faith this year will be enjoyable.