What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List Tuesday

RufusRex

Post Whore
Struggling to recognise the latimore plodder in the storm or roosters teams.

Seems like every team that has no real aspiration needs one.

A bloke like Timm May give you more errors but long term is a much better choice ... we are talking about 20 minutes here

Como Connection

First Grade
I like Lats.
He's a plodder and pretty much reliable as they come.
We all know what we are going to get from him.
Whether that'll be hit ups or defending, he fits the role as a 'backup' perfectly.
Never going to star, never going to let you down ......... so to speak.
Every team needs one.
Agree Latts does his job, value for money.
Dragons are not the Roosters with no salary cap don't forget.
CC

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I think there is some merit in having him on the bench and using him as a middle forward at 13.

We have slowish middle men like Latimore and Lawrie that we are currently using. So a guy like Aitken coming on with good leg speed in 20 min stints will really liven up our forwards. A bit like friz when he plays in the middle.

Aitken carries the ball strong and is fast. Plays the ball quick and his decision making then becomes a non issue. Decision making aside he is a strong defender in traffic.

This then allows Lomax to play right centre.

Food for thought....

Its not you, 'Itsme '......................... As a George Costanza fan, I've always wanted to say that!

Anyway, the comments you made make a lot of sense. Atiken off the bench adds so much more to our team as well as solving the Lomax problem.
Problem is, its make too much sense so McGregor won't do it. Nice try though.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Agree Latts does his job, value for money.
Dragons are not the Roosters with no salary cap don't forget.
CC

Agree, Lats does his job.

However, the days of the plodding forward are gone imo, and this shows in his stats this season with 6 hit ups, 2 tackle breaks and 4 offloads. Add to this his running metres only averaging 53 per game. The only shining light is his defence which is at a reasonable 91.6%

Young Lawrie for example has an average of 11 hit ups, 3 tackle breaks and averaging 99.5 metres per game. He also has a tackle efficiency at 91.1%.

TruSaint

Referee
Agree, Lats does his job.

However, the days of the plodding forward are gone imo, and this shows in his stats this season with 6 hit ups, 2 tackle breaks and 4 offloads. Add to this his running metres only averaging 53 per game. The only shining light is his defence which is at a reasonable 91.6%

Young Lawrie for example has an average of 11 hit ups, 3 tackle breaks and averaging 99.5 metres per game. He also has a tackle efficiency at 91.1%.

Fair post, however, those stats ( hit ups/ tackle breaks / off loads etc ), are in line with minutes played are they not? So far this season, i think blocker has played more minutes than Lats.

On average 11 more minutes than Latimore per game.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Lawrie, but Lats stats need to be put in perspective. The other factor he brings, is experience.

gitano

Juniors
Struggling to recognise the latimore plodder in the storm or roosters teams.

Seems like every team that has no real aspiration needs one.

A bloke like Timm May
images

images

images

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Can we stop accepting mediocre players because "they get the Job Done"

No one seemingly had a problem with Jon Green under Bennett in 2010.

Notwithstanding the difference in coaching quality, without Green, Saints may not have even qualified for the grand final that year if he hadn’t pulled off a remarkable save during the preliminary final against the Tigers.

possm

Coach
Surely it would be better to manage and coach Kerr to continue in his development by selecting him on the bench than to continue to select Latimore because he is a safe option. Latimore is at the end of his career and Kerr is at the beginning. Kerr is all upside and Latimore is on the safe to downside.

To me it speaks to Mary's inability to bring young players through to first grade in a timely manner.

slippery5

Juniors

Notwithstanding the difference in coaching quality, without Green, Saints may not have even qualified for the grand final that year if he hadn’t pulled off a remarkable save during the preliminary final against the Tigers.
You've pulled that example out before....
Jon Green made the worst players to play 1st grade list.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Lol..

Jon Green, 2010 premiership hero..

Old Timer

Coach
The issue with Latimore is exactly what some posters have said “ no frills, you know what you will get, gets the job done”
No frills,means low skill level who lives within his perimeters, so not many mistakes
You know what you get, means that with a low skill level you won’t get any magic that wins you games.
Gets the job done, means coach has dumbed down the role of the interchange forward.
It is not as if Latimore is playing huge minutes so why do we need to be so conservative in what we do?
How about taking a game by the throat and putting our opposition under pressure?
Many teams will wait for our regimented bench philosophy so they can implement their plans and out us under pressure.
We are not that good a side that we can carry Graham and Latimore and if you want somebody to do Latimires job then let Graham do it off the bench and then put somebody into the starting side who will give us an edge.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The issue with Latimore is exactly what some posters have said “ no frills, you know what you will get, gets the job done”
No frills,means low skill level who lives within his perimeters, so not many mistakes
You know what you get, means that with a low skill level you won’t get any magic that wins you games.
Gets the job done, means coach has dumbed down the role of the interchange forward.
It is not as if Latimore is playing huge minutes so why do we need to be so conservative in what we do?
How about taking a game by the throat and putting our opposition under pressure?
Many teams will wait for our regimented bench philosophy so they can implement their plans and out us under pressure.
We are not that good a side that we can carry Graham and Latimore and if you want somebody to do Latimires job then let Graham do it off the bench and then put somebody into the starting side who will give us an edge.
Agree OT..

A very no frills post right there..

Warabrook saint

Juniors
If only Mcmoron could think like that

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I won't waste my time, but thanks anyway Jon.......or Mr Green.....

My surname is an Americanised spelling of a pretty drab colour, so it’s definiitely not Green.

Anyway if you could be bothered watching a replay of that game, you’d see there was a passage of play where JG miraculously retrieves a dangerous grubber kick near the Dragons’ try line. If he hadn’t have done so, the Tigers would’ve qualified for the grand final.

It’s the simple yet effective things which are often forgotten.

Old Timer

Coach
My surname is an Americanised spelling of a pretty drab colour, so it’s definiitely not Green.

Anyway if you could be bothered watching a replay of that game, you’d see there was a passage of play where JG miraculously retrieves a dangerous grubber kick near the Dragons’ try line. If he hadn’t have done so, the Tigers would’ve qualified for the grand final.

It’s the simple yet effective things which are often forgotten.
But is there more than 1 such occurrence or was his entire career predicated on that single moment in time?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
But is there more than 1 such occurrence or was his entire career predicated on that single moment in time?

Given the importance of the occasion, does it really matter how the rest of Green’s career panned out?

In a way it’s redolent of what Paul Osborne did for Canberra in the 1994 grand final.

I’m definitely not advocating Green as anything else than a trier, but the previously mentioned instance is exactly how I’ll remember him because if he didn’t pull off that save, it’s highly provable SGI wouldn’t have been the 2010 premiers.

Latest posts