What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team of The Year Thus Far

Smiley

Bench
Joe Vickory, Jake Marketo, Trent Merrin and Beau Henry were mentioned in the Dragons Forum to know and be going to fox studios tomorrow.

isaiah

Bench
My top team:

1. Gareth Widdop (Storm) - I would have picked Webster, but his failed stint at halfback cost him
2. Kane Morgan (Souths)
3. Taiaolo Vaivai (Souths)
4. Blake Davey (Manly)
5. Matt Duffie (Storm)
6. Robert Lui (Tigers)
7. Shaun Johnson (Warriors)
8. Siosaia Vave (Titans)
9. Kayne Lawton (Titans)
10. Trent Merrin (Dragons)
11. Jake Marketo (Dragons)
12. Darcy Lussick (Manly)
13. Jamie Buhrer (Manly)

14. Mitch Rein (Dragons)
15. Jason Schirnack (Tigers)
16. Jesse Bromwich (Storm)
17. Tinirau Arona (Panthers)

Outside backs that are unlucky: Joe Vickery, Michael Fualalo, Josh Jerome, Dane Gagai, Kalifi Fai Fai Loa, Drury Low, Daniel Vidot, Kane Linnett, Suiatona Likiliki, Sam Joe, Malcolm Webster, Jake Mullany

Halves that are unlucky: Beau Henry, Luke Kelly, Daly Cherry-Evans

Forwards that are unlucky: Pakisonasi Afu, Daniel Penese, Jason Baiteri, Dane Hogan, Simon Dwyer, Matt Hyland, Fred Makimare, Andrew Fifita, Jared Warea-Hargreaves, Martin Taupau, Isaac Maliota

Hookers that are unlucky: Kurt Baptise, Luke Clydesdale, Lancen Joudo, Liam Higgins, James Segeyaro

this team is WAY stronger than the official one

D

Deleted member 10972

I just think they have picked a strange team.

Fullbacks - Gareth Widdop, Jake Mullaney, Malcolm Webster, Luke Towers

Wingers - Kane Morgan, Joe Vickery, Matt Duffie, Michael Fualalo

Centres - Taiaolo Vaivai, Kane Linnett, Blake Davey, Siuatona Likiliki

Five-eighth - Robert Lui, Corey Norman, Michael Picker, Dane Chisolm

Halfback - Shaun Johnson, Beau Henry, Luke Kelly, Daly Cherry-Evans

Hooker - Kayne Lawton, Mitch Rein, James Segeyaro, Kurt Baptiste

Prop - Trent Merrin, Siosaia Vave, Tinirau Arona, Martin Taupau, Jesse Bromwich

Backrow - Jake Marketo, Darcy Lussick, Fred Makimare, Simon Dwyer, Pakisonasi Afu

Lock - Jamie Buhrer, Jason Baiteri, Dane Hogan, Matt Hyland

---------

If we are just going by strictly NYC competition form, these are definitely the pool of players that the team should have been picked from. Kieran Foran has been good in his relatively few appearances, but has played a fair bit in first grade, and has had a couple of injuries too. Travis Waddell and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, likewise, have played a fair amount of first grade too, and I don't think they have dominated the competition as much as the other aforementioned players have. Drury Low has played centre pretty much all season, and isn't as good as the centres above, or the wingers above, so I am not sure why he was picked.

I have noticed this season that outside backs Luke Capewell, Jamal Idris, Kevin Locke, Blake Ferguson, Jarrod Croker, Chase Stanley, Josh Dugan, Benjamin Barba and Kevin Gordon have all been outstanding in their few appearances in NYC this year, but I believe that these blokes were groomed for first grade over the off-season, being considered regular first-graders now, and their playing standard is currently far above that of what the NYC can offer.

An honorable mention goes to Troyden Watene, who has 15 try assists and 12 linebreak assists even though he plays in the second row - a top quality ballplaying forward, which is rare enough to see.

D

Deleted member 10972

I am going off performances.

The team of the year, should be the best players in the NYC competition. Players who figured prominently in the NRL shouldn't come under consideration. Also, Drury Low is overrated, I think even Raiders fans would admit that right now he is out of form, and hasn't been in amazing form this year in general. How Kane Morgan missed out, I will never know.

shear_joy9

Coach

The team of the year, should be the best players in the NYC competition. Players who figured prominently in the NRL shouldn't come under consideration. Also, Drury Low is overrated, I think even Raiders fans would admit that right now he is out of form, and hasn't been in amazing form this year in general. How Kane Morgan missed out, I will never know.

agree 100% about drury low.

his form went right out the window after vidot was promoted. I think he expected a shot at first-grade before vidot and when this didn't happen his performances/attitude have fallen.

He was actually moved to souths logan in hope the step up of competition and 'new surroundings' would get him back on track. He's back with the u20's however due to injuries.

fortae

Bench

Sorry, but there's no way your choices followed the form lines through the season nor overall performance ... you still have players who have been absent or out of form like Towers, Duffie, Davey, Vave, Arona, Lussick ... I could go on.

And who can figure out why Fualalo is there?!? Or how Webster could miss out (to Widdop) at one stage for being average at halfback but Lawton is still considered at the top, despite inconsistent form across the board ... where's Higgins? And you've only just manage to fit in Baptiste. :lol: That's a clear indication of what is really happening.

You've even made up your own criteria (superseding the coaches) in order to support your stats based analysis.

BTW Morgan is a strange one but it doesn't excuse the rest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10972

Sorry, but there's no way your choices followed the form lines through the season nor overall performance ... you still have players who have been absent or out of form like Towers, Duffie, Davey, Vave, Arona, Lussick ... I could go on.

And who can figure out why Fualalo is there?!? Or how Webster could miss out (to Widdop) at one stage for being average at halfback but Lawton is still considered at the top, despite inconsistent form across the board ... where's Higgins? And you've only just manage to fit in Baptiste. :lol: That's a clear indication of what is really happening.

You've even made up your own criteria (superseding the coaches) in order to support your stats based analysis.

BTW Morgan is a strange one but it doesn't excuse the rest.

Lawton has been outstanding at hooker, what on earth are you talking about? Lawton and Rein are the best in the competition at hooker. Baptise is probably next...Higgins only recently came good.

Absense isn't too much of an issue - we don't have to pick the team based on who is there now. Arona has played more than Merrin, so has Lussick, etc.

Benjitheking

Juniors
I wana see a New Zealand Toyota cup team Vs and Aus team, It would be very interesting imo
My New Zealand team
01. Kevin Locke (NZ Warriors) (GK)
02. Kane Morgan (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
03. Daniel Vidot (Canberra Raiders)*
04. Chase Stanley (St George Illawara)
05. Joseph Tomane (Melbourne Storm)*
06. Arana Taumata (Melbourne Storm)
07. Shaun Johnson (NZ Warriors)
08. Lesson Ah Mau (NZ Warriors)
09. Alehana Mara (NZ Warriors)
10. Russell Packer (NZ Warriors)
11. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Manly Sea Eagles)
12. Ben Matulino (NZ Warriors)
13. Elijah Taylor (NZ Warriors) (c)
Interchange
14. Keiran Foran (Manly Sea Eagles)
15. Kevin Proctor (Melbourne Storm)
16. Jesse Bromwich (Melbourne Storm)
17. Constantine Mika (Newcastle Knights)

footy1

Juniors
I wana see a New Zealand Toyota cup team Vs and Aus team, It would be very interesting imo
My New Zealand team
01. Kevin Locke (NZ Warriors) (GK)
02. Kane Morgan (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
03. Daniel Vidot (Canberra Raiders)*
04. Chase Stanley (St George Illawara)
05. Joseph Tomane (Melbourne Storm)*
06. Arana Taumata (Melbourne Storm)
07. Shaun Johnson (NZ Warriors)
08. Lesson Ah Mau (NZ Warriors)
09. Alehana Mara (NZ Warriors)
10. Russell Packer (NZ Warriors)
11. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Manly Sea Eagles)
12. Ben Matulino (NZ Warriors)
13. Elijah Taylor (NZ Warriors) (c)
Interchange
14. Keiran Foran (Manly Sea Eagles)
15. Kevin Proctor (Melbourne Storm)
16. Jesse Bromwich (Melbourne Storm)
17. Constantine Mika (Newcastle Knights)

Both an NZ Under 20 side and an Australia Under 20 side would be great to watch. The teams could look a little something like this (excluding Folau as he will feature in the senior Australian side) and can be eligible from any competition.

New Zealand

1. Kevin Locke - New Zealand Warriors
2. Daniel Vidot - Canberra Raiders
3. William Isa - Melbourne Storm
4. Chase Stanley - St George Illawarra Dragons
5. Joseph Tomane - Melbourne Storm
6. Kieran Foran - Manly Sea Eagles
7. Arana Taumata - Easts Tigers
8. Jesse Bromwich - Melbourne Storm
9. Alehana Mara - New Zealand Warriors
10. Russell Packer (c) - New Zealand Warriors
11. Jared Wearea-Hargreaves - Manly Sea Eagles
12. Ben Matulino - New Zealand Warriors
13. Elijah Taylor - New Zealand Warriors

14. Shaun Johnson - New Zealand Warriors
15. Martin Taupau - Canterbury Bulldogs
16. Kevin Proctor - Melbourne Storm
17. Constantine Mika - Newcastle Knights

Australia

1. Josh Dugan - Canberra Raiders
2. Kevin Gordon - Gold Coast Titans
3. Jarrod Croker - Canberra Raiders
4. Jamal Idris - Canterbury Bulldogs
5. Jharal Yow Yeh - Brisbane Broncos
6. Daniel Mortimer - Parramatta Eels
7. Mitchell Pearce (c) - Sydney Roosters
8. Trent Merrin - St George Illawarra Dragons
9. Jake Friend - Sydney Roosters
10. Josh Maguire - Brisbane Broncos
11. Simon Dwyer - Wests Tigers
12. Jake Marketo - St George Illawarra Dragons
13. Jamie Buhrer - Manly Sea Eagles

14. Andrew McCullough - Brisbane Broncos
15. Johnny Mannah - Cronulla Sharks
16. Tom Symonds - Sydney Roosters
17. Martin Kennedy - Sydney Roosters

lifesgood

Juniors
Both an NZ Under 20 side and an Australia Under 20 side would be great to watch. The teams could look a little something like this (excluding Folau as he will feature in the senior Australian side) and can be eligible from any competition.

Australia

1. Josh Dugan - Canberra Raiders
2. Kevin Gordon - Gold Coast Titans
3. Jarrod Croker - Canberra Raiders
4. Jamal Idris - Canterbury Bulldogs
5. Jharal Yow Yeh - Brisbane Broncos
6. Daniel Mortimer - Parramatta Eels
7. Mitchell Pearce (c) - Sydney Roosters
8. Trent Merrin - St George Illawarra Dragons
9. Jake Friend - Sydney Roosters
10. Josh Maguire - Brisbane Broncos
11. Simon Dwyer - Wests Tigers
12. Jake Marketo - St George Illawarra Dragons
13. Jamie Buhrer - Manly Sea Eagles

14. Andrew McCullough - Brisbane Broncos
15. Johnny Mannah - Cronulla Sharks
16. Tom Symonds - Sydney Roosters
17. Martin Kennedy - Sydney Roosters

Ithink the rule would have to be similar to the finals rule to be eligible for selection they have to play a number of 20s games