What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team of the Year

RWB

Bench
I also said my opinion of 20's revolves purely on statistics given the miniscule coverage of the Toyota Cup.

Nobody else on here can make an honest assessment on the Under 20's given the miniscule coverage.

lol the NYC statistics are so dodgy, found so many errors in them every week. I usually get to see 4 NYC games a week, 3 at a minimum so I feel I can say this with confidence.

Big Pete

Referee
How are they dodgy?

Given their professional process I'd take their stats over anybody elses.

BOMAR

Juniors
lol the NYC statistics are so dodgy, found so many errors in them every week. I usually get to see 4 NYC games a week, 3 at a minimum so I feel I can say this with confidence.
I would have to agree. I have recorded games this year and compared the stats, and some are quite inacurate. We often wondered who actually does the stats. We found that if you looked at the live stats they could end up alot different in a day or two, when obviously someone goes over the game.

Didgi

Obviously they are adjusted a day or two later, it would be nigh on impossible to get accurate stats live on the run. The same occurs with NRL stats.

R2Coupe

Juniors
How do you categorise a player such as Matt Groat? Minimal time in the NYC but time in the NRL. Is success in the NYC more important to the selection process than the ultimate goal of the NRL? Opinions on this are appreciated.

Didgi

I believe there is a cut-off point for number of NRL games played, though that may be for the Junior Kangaroos. I think NYC success is more important to the picking of that particular team.

Personally I thought Groat would've definitely been one of the props.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Thanks. It's not just Groat as I am sure there are many other players at other clubs in the same situation.

ozbash

Referee
I would have to agree. I have recorded games this year and compared the stats, and some are quite inacurate. We often wondered who actually does the stats. We found that if you looked at the live stats they could end up alot different in a day or two, when obviously someone goes over the game.

NRL games are the same.

Depends who is compiling them I guess.

Big Pete

Referee
They wrote an article on it for Big League.

Just to summarise there are two processes. An initial one that involves 2 people, a caller and a data inputer. They cover the game live.

The second process is much more accurate and takes somewhere between 8-10 hours. It's where they analyse each moment.

isaiah

Bench
I know there was another forum about the team of the year half way through the year.

But with the side being announced on Tuesday, i wanna see everyones thoughts on who should make the team.

Mine looks like this:

1. Omar Slaimankhel
2. Dane Gagai
3. Mahe Fonua
4. Konrad Hurrel
5. Stewart Mills
6. Michael Parker Walshe
7. Jacob Miller
8. Neil Begovich
9. Kurt Baptiste
10. Magnus Stromquist
11. Jason Taumalolo
12. Tyrone Peachey
13. Dale Finucane

14. Slade Griffin
15. Kenneath Bromwich
16. Adrian Haangana
17. Ben Henry

Im sure there is plenty more players I could add that I have forgotten or just chosen to miss out.

maybe viapuna tia kilifi over ha'angana

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
They are.

They played more games this season and have the edge over him.

Copley is another who if he spent more time in Toyota Cup would have challenged Hurrell and Fonua.

I am doubting though that they averaged > 2 tries a game that Moga has in NYC.. 37 tries in 18 matches incl. SG Ball.. the guy is a freak