What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Bulldogs

Meth

Staff member
This particular thread gets a bit boring as Kearney is as predictable in his selections as any coach in the history of the world. Barring injury, I reckon I could just about name the side for the start of the comp next year with 99% accuracy!

On the thread, it basically is a way of instigating a conversation about the upcoming match

Meth

Staff member
Some credit to Kearney though, he has replaced hikunwith Beale now the incumbent center. A real douche coach like crappy would still be playing hiku

He is, though.

I thought it was great when he replaced Hiku with Beale. But now we have both Hiku AND Beale, with Kearney basically peddling that Hiku only went out on account of injury.

It only seems brave to me to drop Hiku altogether until he learns to defend OR provide some sort of sensible reason for him on the bench. @sup42 made sense in his attempt to grasp a rationale, but it’s still lacking IMO

Meth

Staff member
Life without Hiku-

RTS goes down- SHIT. Fusitu’a goes to FB

Fusitu’a goes down- SHIT. Beale goes to the wing. Mannering or Harris to centre.

Beale goes down. That’s a little inconvenient. Mannering or Harris to centre.

Kata goes down. That’s a little inconvenient. Mannering or Harris to centre.

Maumalo goes down. SHIT. Kata goes to the wing. Mannering or Harris to centre.

sup42

Juniors
Just caught up with Radio sport on demand (yesterdays team naming Tuesday).

So from the Horses Mouth verbatum when asked why Hiku is on the bench Kearney states:

" Yeah well, so with that what you have, is if an outside back goes down...he's an automatic replacement....then it is trying to find...then it's try'na find...an opportunity for him if that doesn't happen...we have done that a couple of times with Anthony Gelling..Um....you run the risk...then you run the risk...if you gotta put a backrower out in the Centers...and Um...ah...which makes it...which makes it ah pretty...um pretty dangerous...that's the reason why....that's what...that's what...competition is all about.. and um....Pit had a pretty good front end of the year...the other two boys come up really well over the last couple of weeks..so um he's putting pressure on the other two Centers to make sure they are performing well " .

That is the first time and last that i have played stenographer for Kearney....an interesting exercise...well not really I left out a couple of Ah...Uhms...and repition for brevity.

sup42

Juniors
So with Kearney saying having a backrower at Center is pretty dangerous...I guess he thinks they will be exposed on defence.

Big Marn

Juniors

So from the Horses Mouth verbatum when asked why Hiku is on the bench Kearney states:

if you gotta put a backrower out in the Centers...and Um...ah...which makes it...which makes it ah pretty...um pretty dangerous...that's the reason why....

That is the first time and last that i have played stenographer for Kearney....an interesting exercise...well not really I left out a couple of Ah...Uhms...and repition for brevity.

So he is saying that its NOT dangerous when Hiku's out in the centres with his revolving door defence?

LMAO

sup42

Juniors
So he is saying that its NOT dangerous when Hiku's out in the centres with his revolving door defence?

LMAO
Hard to argue.

Impossible in fact.

It is interesting to note that Stephen Kearney is the defensive coach of the Warriors and the machinations of team selections given the big dog is defence centric.

Next year that will not change (nor should it) with Kearney stating that Todd Payten will come in and take over Cappy's attack Coaching role paired with Stacey.

The Warriors defence has all the hallmarks of Kearneys defence used by his Kiwis sides

The outsides jam in...the fullback slides to cover the outside (RTS stops multiple try scoring opportunities in the corner).

When Jamming in doesn't work (See Roosters opening try in game one in Sydney...they run a set play which puts a man outside our compressed Defence)...the Warriors adjust for the next attacking raid...they number up and Slide (See the same game where the Roosters execute the same play and the Warrios don't Jam in...they slide and the Roosters put that play away for the rest of the game).

Those are very typical Keanrey Try Line defensive styles...where in essence he has the team employ Jamming in or sliding depending on what is troubling the opposition most (Partly dictated by how deep or shallow the opposition set plays).

The last thing I would say of Kearneys defensive coaching is that he makes individual players accountable on their try line...it also requires a lot of communication between players to read and react (you have to know two systems instead of the old Warriors tendency to be predominantly of a single system).

That is why we have such a big reliance on our senior players to run that D line, and Luke is such an important part of that middle third, Blair, and Tohu on the right...the talky bits..and the directing part.

Mannering no longer has a clean up role so much...Blair does that...Mannering just covers his area these days.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
We would really miss Hiku's trademark reliability in defense if we opted for a mug like Mannering in an emergency

Meth

Staff member
" Yeah well, so with that what you have, is if an outside back goes down...he's an automatic replacement....then it is trying to find...then it's try'na find...an opportunity for him if that doesn't happen...we have done that a couple of times with Anthony Gelling..Um....you run the risk...then you run the risk...if you gotta put a backrower out in the Centers...and Um...ah...which makes it...which makes it ah pretty...um pretty dangerous...that's the reason why....that's what...that's what...competition is all about.. and um....Pit had a pretty good front end of the year...the other two boys come up really well over the last couple of weeks..so um he's putting pressure on the other two Centers to make sure they are performing well " .

This is a really painful word salad

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

The statement seems to be lacking about 37 y'knows

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Hiku is an outside back and should be there to cover only Fus, Ken or RTS. Like sup42 pointed out - our back 3 throw their bodies at the line to good effect and injuries are almost inevitable with that intense contact. Like Meth said - Hiku is a plan B obviously but I would be surprised if it was for the centre position as he has proven to be a defensive liability there.

Or maybe, say were winning by 30 points, Kearney can save RTS, Fus or Ken from risk of injury, pull them off and have them replaced by Hiku. Preservation.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Hiku is an outside back and should be there to cover only Fus, Ken or RTS. Like sup42 pointed out - our back 3 throw their bodies at the line to good effect and injuries are almost inevitable with that intense contact. Like Meth said - Hiku is a plan B obviously but I would be surprised if it was for the centre position as he has proven to be a defensive liability there.

Or maybe, say were winning by 30 points, Kearney can save RTS, Fus or Ken from risk of injury, pull them off and have them replaced by Hiku. Preservation.

Pulling them off? Is that some sort of incentive?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Pulling them off? Is that some sort of incentive?
Well no. I meant 'pulling off' as Kearney taking more precautionary measures. If we we're up 30 nil, he can afford to rest RTS, Ken or Fus and play Hiku instead of risking injury to our top outside backs. Regardless if they're playing well or not, they still get pulled off and preserved for the REAL games, the finals. Hiku should be able to close out games as long as he's an outside back cover and ONLY an outside back cover. Yes we have lost games when we're 30 points up (e.g. Penrith last year) but I'm just further rationalizing as to having Hiku 'take up' the bench. If Kearney is actually doing this, then I can understand it.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Never said I agreed with it. We're just trying to make sense of it all. I could say what I would do but nobody cares. Everyone cares about what IS actually happening hence the speculation.

Latest posts