What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Knights

JJ

Immortal
I think we just need to steady the ship, so nothing major will happen.

One from left field though, I wonder how RTS would go in the 6 - he needs ball in hand, and freedom - works well for Joey Manu? Obviously his carries and ball playing are ok - Johnson would need to do all kicking, so probably not a goer, but could be a spark - I'd certainly like him closer to the action

Campion

Juniors
I’d love to see RTS in the 6 so that he can roam as needed and back up line breaks from Egan at dummy half down the middle of the field. I’d actually be putting RTS at 6, putting Pompey at centre, and TMM to bench (until CHT is ready to slow the bench spot)

Reactions: Izz

Leber

Bench
Idve gone Mai’u over Laban but having Capewell and Bunty back is the main thing, our pack has suffered recently particularly on defence and we need that experience back.
Yea true. I guess its all a balancing act really.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This team can and should the knights. But they’re at home and have their tails up so it will be a contest.

Yes and no. Our defensive intent is poor, but that doesn't just mean that by default we should be conceding tries because we're on the backfoot. Stats have been posted on another thread that we have an exceptionally poor record at defending inside our own 20. It is clear, and the stats reflect this, that we are very poor at defending against "good ball". It's not just that good ball leads to tries generally, it's that we are exceptionally bad against good ball. Any time the opposition gets on the front foot and throws a bit of shape at us we capitulate. That DOES come down to individual decision making and missed tackles on the edges.

This all comes back to this bad vibe I get from Webster that he's so "process focused" he's almost defeatist about actual outcomes. It's mirrored in how poor we are at both attacking and defending in the respective 20s. All Webster can talk about post-match is everything in the middle of the field leading up to the clutch moments, never the clutch moments themselves. Those clutch moments and big plays are not just inevitable outcomes of "who is winning" in the lead up, they are significant moments in and of themselves that make or break results. It's almost like Webster wants to pretend they don't exist.

I don’t think he’s being defeatist as such, but I do think he's being very deliberate in not focusing on outcomes.

It’s a proven performance management approach in both sport and business isn’t it... If you're after a certain outcome, identify the processes and behaviours which lead to that outcome, and then coach/train those. The outcomes will take care of themselves - whether that's closing a deal, or executing a clutch play. Conversely, if you're seeing outcomes you don't want, identify what processes/behaviours led to those, and then coach/train those out.

What that means in the context of how to turn around the team… I don’t know, thankfully I’m not a coach but managing outcomes rarely delivers sustained results in the business world at least, so I can understand if Webby remains process focused.

Idve gone Mai’u over Laban but having Capewell and Bunty back is the main thing, our pack has suffered recently particularly on defence and we need that experience back.
Yea I agree, really liked Maiu'u's impact when he came on.

If Webby is going to persist with Laban, I hope he manages his minutes a little better. Dude was absolutely gassed at one point and literally cost points.

I don’t think he’s being defeatist as such, but I do think he's being very deliberate in not focusing on outcomes.

It’s a proven performance management approach in both sport and business isn’t it... If you're after a certain outcome, identify the processes and behaviours which lead to that outcome, and then coach/train those. The outcomes will take care of themselves - whether that's closing a deal, or executing a clutch play. Conversely, if you're seeing outcomes you don't want, identify what processes/behaviours led to those, and then coach/train those out.

What that means in the context of how to turn around the team… I don’t know, thankfully I’m not a coach but managing outcomes rarely delivers sustained results in the business world at least, so I can understand if Webby remains process focused.
Listened to Webster interview on Warriors website. I'm no coach either but he said in the 10 days off they trained 7 they only got on the paddock 4 times to work on combos. I though it would be a daily thing (not all day) to at least run some basic drills and combos at a training?

Wanted to know if SJ trained with the team this week. Because if he didn't I suspect we are up for a loss.

Latest posts