What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Panthers

Cold Roses

Juniors
Wasn't there some rule around number of players we're allowed to field in a season - have we exceeded that?

27 have played First Grade this year. 28 If you include Vete. Out of 30. That leaves a couple of spots. Seems like Kearney has a clear idea of who he rates. And it would seem Ayshford isn't one of them.

Cold Roses

Juniors
5 runs for 57 meters must be considered a poor effort in the Coach's eyes given Pulu has been demoted to 18th man (even if it proves to be temporary with Beale's injury) But when you're only given 11 minutes game time, what else are you gonna do?

sup42

Juniors
I'm bothered by the same thing. Our back three always hit up tackle 1-3. By the time the props get involved we are looking to push a few passes wider and stretch their edges, which means the props are sometimes shovelling it on before hitting the line. In the middle of the field were we need them the most they are doing very little work. No doubt we have a talented ball running back three, but we are relying on them too much. They cannot take up the slack of the props forever. And what happens is that guys like Mannering and Tevaga start taking on too big a ball carrying role, which is hurting us. The stats may have showed us making more metres as a team, but when watching the game live I always felt the Dogs had the upper hand in the middle. There were very few moments in the match where I noticed one of our props standing out by bending the line or swinging momentum in the ruck.
Also (it took me a long time to realise this) we often go for really dull options on tackle 4 and 5 because our wingers are not in position. All this time I've been so frustrated when we get a roll on, and then on tackle 4 we just go to an inside ball to Papali'i or something like that. Only just occurred to me that that's all part of the plan because our standard set of 6 mitigates against going wide late in the count.
So our back three are getting their hands on the ball when our props are meant to and so our props are needing to get their hands on the ball when our back three are meant to.

Nice.
Essentially yes this is how our team works and what the game plan is all about.

The times where this variation in the old standard works is when the Warriors defend it at their maximum capacity.

We trade big props for faster backs in the hope that they have a faster ptb speed and therefore we get the opposition back pedaling in the early tackles...the ones that set the balance between the wrestling opposition and the Warriors roll on.

So even if our backs are not the same as a George Burgess..the thinking is if they get to the ptb faster than a forward the roll on happens for far less Salary cap investment (a George Burgess cost close to a Million on the open market) the savings in the cap, in a team with a multi Million spine is key.

It worked against the Bullfdogs in the opening exchanges, their bigger pack was getting rolled back.

The problem comes when the opposition ramps up its ;line speed and the Refs allow a shallow ten.

The Warriors get flakey when our back three are being dominated...thats when the early shift and the going too lateral happens.

This is why Kearney blamed the loss on taking short cuts...short cuts means not earning the right to shift the ball.

They need to be more patient and accept they wont win the ruck in every phase of games.

They need to dig in and keep punching through the middle when even when they are losing ground....and most of all they need Luke to show up in games like the Dogs loss..where he had a great platform from the opening.

Last edited:

Cold Roses

Juniors
The Warriors get flakey when our back three are being dominated...thats when the early shift and the going too lateral happens.

The problem being, when the back three get dominated, we generally don't have enough of our larger bodied middle forwards on the field, working in tandem to try and get some parity, and compensate for it. It tends to be a mixture of Blair, Mannering and Tevaga, with one other prop. Add in the fact that Papali'i is playing 80mins, and we have one of the worst territory gaining packs in the comp. It's a noticeable contrast to the opening rounds of the season, when we had all of our bigger bodies playing good minutes, and often gaining parity against opposing packs.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
The problem being, when the back three get dominated, we generally don't have enough of our larger bodied middle forwards on the field, working in tandem to try and get some parity, and compensate for it. It tends to be a mixture of Blair, Mannering and Tevaga, with one other prop. Add in the fact that Papali'i is playing 80mins, and we have one of the worst territory gaining packs in the comp. It's a noticeable contrast to the opening rounds of the season, when we had all of our bigger bodies playing good minutes, and often gaining parity against opposing packs.

Agree. We have very little up front capable of bending the line. We need Bunty, Paasi and Gavet all making good meters in the middle which unfortunately isn't happening as often as it should.

Gavets really gone backwards this year and with a rookie like Papali playing 80, we've really struggled this year.

Ah Mau will help next year but I'm really hoping Papali bulks up and develops a bit more. Gavet? I don't know what he needs to do better because he looks like he's trying but appears to be easy pickings for other teams

JJ

Immortal

Couldn't agree more - the Scrappy Doo approach of Tevaga and Blair doesn't look to be a successful strategy in the semis IMO

Rich102

Staff member
We need to be carrying 4 props. 2 on the field at all times.
Taking a prop off for a smaller man is stupid.
Maybe if we are running the opposition off their feet - but that isn't the case now.

Blair

Coach
I'm working tonight, guys. So won't be involved with the game live, nor will I know the result until I log on here at about nine pm.

My nerves will still be a jingling and a jangling though. The leftover Lion Red, dated October 3rd 2011 (the night we last made the finals), has been moved into the fridge.

Blair

Coach
Ironically, the last time we were in a position to make the finals if we won a game was also against Penrith. We lost 22-6, and the Broncos beat us to the last finals spot by about nine f/a points.

Cappy played TL instead of Townsend, which I thought was a poor decision.

Meth

Staff member
I'm working tonight, guys. So won't be involved with the game live, nor will I know the result until I log on here at about nine pm.

My nerves will still be a jingling and a jangling though. The leftover Lion Red, dated October 3rd 2011 (the night we last made the finals), has been moved into the fridge.

Does Lion Red get better with age?

It can't get any worse.

Benek

Juniors
Confirmed Beale out and Hiku in. At least that means a better use of the bench, but the bench still looks too lightweight.

Blair

Coach
Seven Years Of Failure (SYOF): The 2018 Warriors, ay? A bit of a chip off the old block, boys?

Warriors: We're nothing like them!

SYOF: Yeah, we'll see.

SYOF: So today's the day, Warriors. Judgement day. How bad you want in?...didn't hear you, Warrior!?

Warriors: We want to play in the finals.

SYOF: Ha! Hear that, brothers! They want to play in the finals! You'll have to get through me first, before you think about no finals!

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
You'll be right lads, have a feeling Penrith will win and will slide a few notes onto them, which with my recent form will mean a Warriors win

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Theres just no way Hiku can repeat that poor defensive game that he had last time we played the Panthers. Theres no way.

I knew they wouldnt carry a back on the bench for this game but I didnt expect Hiku to be picked. We just have to back him and I reckon hes going to good tonight.