What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v.s Souths

webShark

Best players we have available, are playing.
Not hard to work out.
Penani. Lol. Yeah throw the guy in against a combination like Souths have. FMD.

Is Joel Reddy part of the combination?

I would throw Penani in. You have a point. If he cant handle it we will find out. We already know Holdsworth, Ayshford and Jono can't.

I am more concerned Sam Burgess will trample over Vave than Penani being massively worse than Holdsworth. Brown injured so not a possibility.

If Holmes is worse than Jono we may as well drop the 20s. Up against Reddy would be not that tough.

Reefy it is you who has thrown the towel in by championing dud rejects. Most of us think the youngsters could improve things. Hardly matter as would probably lose either way. I couldn't give a toss whether we lose 20 or 40 blot as long as we try something different.

Madsharkie

First Grade
I'd just be happy if we mixed it up a bit and blooded the young guns, as per webby's post above. Get some youthful exuberance in and around the team. Sure, we'll lose games, but we're doing that already.

The team named vs souths is terrible and predictably boring. Let's throw a bit of unpredictability in there with the young guys. We'll probably lose either way, but at least we might get a sniff of excitement for the future. Plus it'll be a huge boost for them individually and give us a greater chance of locking them up as sharks in the future.

Ricey

Juniors
Souths team isn't exactly top notch either. They're a whole lot less threatening without Inglis. Wouldn't be surprised if we get the upset.

eddiesmith

Juniors
They need to find a good balance with say 14-15 of the experienced players who should be playing well and 1-2 young guys in the side and give them a gave for atleast 2 or 3 matches just so you can probably evaluate them

Its no good putting Penani in with Holdsworth in the halves, he needs to play alongside Robson or Carney, just as there is no point throwing 2-3 of them into the backline together, they would get slaughtered.

There needs to be a plan to have a good look at each of them so you can properly evaluate whether they have a future at Cronulla

chewsta

First Grade
They need to find a good balance with say 14-15 of the experienced players who should be playing well and 1-2 young guys in the side and give them a gave for atleast 2 or 3 matches just so you can probably evaluate them

Its no good putting Penani in with Holdsworth in the halves, he needs to play alongside Robson or Carney, just as there is no point throwing 2-3 of them into the backline together, they would get slaughtered.

There needs to be a plan to have a good look at each of them so you can properly evaluate whether they have a future at Cronulla

Great post Eddie. would love to see this type of thinking utilised.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
& the problem with Eddies post is that we, due to many factors are desparate for wins. LAst week for instance was pretty much our season, that is why Carney played, when he shouldnt have. WE have lost a few very close games that perhaps, we may have won. Throw 1 spot to one of the kids, who will make a mistake or 2 & we are risking the season, not the game.
I am sure there is a method to bring the ones we need into first grade & not the ridiculousness that we read on here.

Card Shark

Immortal
I am sure there is a method to bring the ones we need into first grade & not the ridiculousness that we read on here.

I'm sure you are right.... Except the method appears like there is no method.

Every other club gives teenagers / guys in the very early 20s a go. We rarely do.

Eddie's method is not ridiculous, it's controlled & cautious.

Frailty

First Grade
& the problem with Eddies post is that we, due to many factors are desparate for wins. LAst week for instance was pretty much our season, that is why Carney played, when he shouldnt have. WE have lost a few very close games that perhaps, we may have won. Throw 1 spot to one of the kids, who will make a mistake or 2 & we are risking the season, not the game.

Our average losing margin this year is 15 points. We have not had two consecutive losses of less than 18 points.

Now that our season is well and truly done, and with the origin period coming up, that we should start to bring in some youth. I'm not saying wholesale changes, but some signal to the young players they will be given an opportunity.

Take Penani for example. He is getting overlooked for Daniel Holdsworth, who we know offers nothing to the side this year or in the future. Penani has represented Samao in the World Cup and in the game that secured their place in the 4 Nations (meanwhile scoring 3 tries) - and still only got a game when both halves were out.

Michael Lichaa has played reasonably well in his few first grade games this year. So much so that he represented City in the City-Country game (yes, as a result of a number of injuries). That means selectors thought he was a better option than both of our ageing hookers. How do we repay his form? By dropping him.

This is why there is uproar from the fans and, reportedly, from the playing group. Had we acted earlier, it's likely Lichaa would have stayed. And, as of yet, we have not resigned Penani. But why would he want to stay? Based on actions, the club has no plans to use him in the future.

Latest posts