What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v.s Souths

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
So what everybody is saying, is that we should bring in another 3 debutant rookies to combine with our 4 debutant rookies we have used so far?
DeeFee, Pemnani, Licha & Sopoagaa?
Lets bring in holmes, Brown, Masima & MOrris just for the fucjjkk of it?

Feej

First Grade
So what everybody is saying, is that we should bring in another 3 debutant rookies to combine with our 4 debutant rookies we have used so far?
DeeFee, Pemnani, Licha & Sopoagaa?
Lets bring in holmes, Brown, Masima & MOrris just for the fucjjkk of it?

Reefy, I don't think they're saying bring them all in at once (at least I'm not), but just give them a taste and see how they go. At least they'll know what they have to work on for them to be successful.

webShark

Had we acted earlier, it's likely Lichaa would have stayed

Doubt it. I spoke to him a few weeks ago and he said he was keen to play under Hasler and liked the way he had brought young players through at Manly. Nearly signed 2 years ago before renewing with the Sharks.

On another note, why is Reefy mentioning Morris? Benchie for NSW Cup. I wouldn't play him either. Penani played well for his country in a position where our first choice 5/8 is injured. He has come up through the grades and had every right to be disappointed when overlooked. I have reservations about Holmes in first grade too. Not Brown though. This season was gone before it started. Cap issues should be the only reason youngsters not tried.

My take is Brown is the most likely. Holmes does need to toughen up. Penani probably no but deserves a chance. Never seen Morris do anything. Our 20s would surely figure in the finals more than once every ten years if they had many first graders.

Frailty

First Grade
Doubt it. I spoke to him a few weeks ago and he said he was keen to play under Hasler and liked the way he had brought young players through at Manly. Nearly signed 2 years ago before renewing with the Sharks.

Maybe it is the case. All I'm saying is that the Sharks gave themselves no real chance considering the apparent selection policy regarding youth.

My take is Brown is the most likely. Holmes does need to toughen up. Penani probably no but deserves a chance. Never seen Morris do anything. Our 20s would surely figure in the finals more than once every ten years if they had many first graders.

The real issue is what is the club planning for in the future. Our coaching is very short sighted when the team planning should always have one eye set on whats to come. It is clear the club has not planned the future at hooker nor at half, rather than just reacting to players retiring or leaving - an issue other teams don't seem to be having, look at the Bulldogs making moves at hooker despite Ennis wanting to play on.

I would be looking at the possibility of our future halves to be Penani in 6 and with Brown in the 7. Before Reefy jumps the gun and makes a bunch of assumptions, I'm not saying that this should be the combination now - I'm talking 3-4 years time.

Holmes is definitely too green for mine. He needs to work on his talk as a fullback, ball control (a fair bit of dropped ball that would have fans blowing up in the NRL), and one on one defence. He has a lot of potential, and should be told as such. I would be looking at blooding him towards the latter part of this season or next year.

Since 73

First Grade
Whats worse?

Pick proven losers...... Blokes you know cant compete and trouble noone?

Or

Pick some unknowns who will play their ring out and may well make enough of a dent to to do f**k m ows what?

Two things for certain.

That team that flanno is putting out on monday wont win.

And Flanno has no f**kin idea.

webShark

Holmes is definitely too green for mine. He needs to work on his talk as a fullback, ball control (a fair bit of dropped ball that would have fans blowing up in the NRL), and one on one defence. He has a lot of potential, and should be told as such. I would be looking at blooding him towards the latter part of this season or next year.

He is too green. But we are bloody desperate. Beau is injured and Jono is Jono. Coaches have no faith in Stapo.

We wait too long he jumps ship. Most games this year are now unimportant. Avoiding the spoon is our likely aim. Similar age to Milford. Milford going ok despite Raiders woes.

Look at the duds we recruited this year. Next 3 years could get worse. Can't wait that long , so trying green youngsters only option. If they don't perform or not ready move them back to the 20s and bring back Jono. We are reaching half way and Guru doesn't appear an option.

If Penani not getting a run now he never will. Carney out. Useless alternatives and that includes Lewis and Graham. Carry on like we are and we will have 5k crowds despite having record sponsorship and 10k members.

Frailty

First Grade
He is too green. But we are bloody desperate. Beau is injured and Jono is Jono. Coaches have no faith in Stapo.

We wait too long he jumps ship. Most games this year are now unimportant. Avoiding the spoon is our likely aim. Similar age to Milford. Milford going ok despite Raiders woes.

Look at the duds we recruited this year. Next 3 years could get worse. Can't wait that long , so trying green youngsters only option. If they don't perform or not ready move them back to the 20s and bring back Jono. We are reaching half way and Guru doesn't appear an option.

If Penani not getting a run now he never will. Carney out. Useless alternatives and that includes Lewis and Graham. Carry on like we are and we will have 5k crowds despite having record sponsorship and 10k members.

I'm not saying don't play Holmes in the next three years - simply that right now isn't the best option for his development. I would definitely look at bringing him into grade towards the latter part of this season or early next season.

Card Shark

Immortal
Must give him a couple of games this year so he gets to experience first grade.

Then he knows what to expect & has the while offseason to prepare himself for more regular footy next year.

It's what we should've done with Lichaa last year.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
They need to find a good balance with say 14-15 of the experienced players who should be playing well and 1-2 young guys in the side and give them a gave for atleast 2 or 3 matches just so you can probably evaluate them

Its no good putting Penani in with Holdsworth in the halves, he needs to play alongside Robson or Carney, just as there is no point throwing 2-3 of them into the backline together, they would get slaughtered.

There needs to be a plan to have a good look at each of them so you can properly evaluate whether they have a future at Cronulla

Exactly right Eddie. I have been bringing this point up for years.

The club don't do things this way in terms of bringing in youngsters. It's exactly the way Townsend played his footy here. Coming into the team at its weakest and never playing a game with Carney.

Nobody expects Val or Brown to come into the team during these origin periods simply because it's a failed experiment. These kids need to be blooded playing alongside the like of gal and Lewis

I look at it this way we know what we get with Jono or Holdsworth, we have seen there upside and not much of it.

So by giving Penani and Holmes a run this year we will see what they have to offer can we develop them into being better players then Holdsworth and Jono.

This is the best season to do it we cant make finals so can play around with team try different combos different players look to the future.

I do not care if we lose by 40 but have seen we tried something different have a new guy a run, but if we run out Jono, Ayshford, Holdsworth each week for nothing how does that help the future of the club

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Holdsworth being named ahead of Penani is not only a massive slap in the face for the kid but it's a prime example of the club accepting this year as a complete waste.

Holdsworth must be ticking boxes in the coaches eyes, what boxes they might be I will never know

Since 73

First Grade
That's what successful clubs do.
You mean they're successful because they do that.

Dumb clubs - or dumb coaches - think reactive.

'We are weakened now , our SOO players are gone - I will bring up young players to play with my also rans.'

They then judge those players as not good enough for first grade because the team lost.

Bellamy thinks proactive.

He bloods the young guys to play beside Cronk.
To experience the preparation before a game with Slater and to hear Smith's onfield direction.

Obviously they then bring that experience to the fore when the stars go to rep duty and the situation isn't too great for them.

I always knew Flanno was the dumbest merkin to ever carry a clipboard but the longer this goes on and the more we lose the calibre of Peachey and Lichaa the more he moves a bit further away from the deep end of the pool.

Last edited:

cheese

Bench
Saying players are too young is such an antiquated way of looking at team selection.

Milford was injected into a struggling raiders side, and his footwork and ability to break the line sparked a turn in team form, and within a couple of months, he's one of the highest paid players in the game.

Val isn't as good as Milford, but he's up there in speed and footwork.

Young players in old struggling teams doesn't automatically equate to 60 nil drubbings, it's often what's needed. Dreary mediocrity like sopo don't count, as they're just there to take hit ups, not put the polish on plays.

Val is one of our top 5 backs.... He may not be top 5 in every NRL squad, but he is in our pile of plodding sh!!!te kennts

shaggs

Coach
There is no way that is a current weight for DCE. He is at least 10kgs heavier than that.

cheese

Bench
Nice fudging reefer

Val: height 185, weight 85

Milf: Height 178, weight 88 now (85 in debut season)

Your favourite player in preston would never have seen first grade going by this logic.

Ricey

Juniors
My point is that weight should not have anything to do with him getting a start in NRL. If he has the skills & the right mindset give him a crack. Wright would be around 100kg & look how good he's doing.

Latest posts