What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Tigers

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's particularly frustrating because I look at Hurrell and Laumape and think that could be a long term centre pairing that would be extremely dangerous for opposition teams... but the two of them need to get their crap together.

No argument here.

That much weight gets put on by eating too much and not expending that extra energy. Imagine if they had used up all that energy working on their defensive technique.

vvvrulz

Coach
There seems to be a real cultural issue at the Warriors. Having lazy flair is one thing but some of the guys are just a little *too* slack and don't seem to take anything seriously.

Needs a club wide attitude shake-up.

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors coach Matthew Elliott is sounding plenty of warning bells for his players as they prepare to face the Wests Tigers in Wellington on Saturday.

The Warriors are backing up from their first win of the NRL season, a gutsy 20-16 success over North Queensland that broke a 12-year drought in Townsville.

But Elliott believes they'll need to lift their game against a Tigers side who he says are sitting in the top third of the competition for a reason.

He says he knew the Tigers had a good core of experience in their ranks.

Advertisement
"What I didn't have totally covered was the young kids," he said.

"My goodness, they have had some players come on and make a massive difference there. We've had a look at that and we will underestimate this team at our own peril."

The Tigers finished second-bottom in 2013 in Benji Marshall's last year with the club.

They were among the wooden spoon favourites for this season, but over the past fortnight have beaten Gold Coast and highly-fancied South Sydney.

Elliott cited the combination of fullback James Tedesco and teenage halfback Luke Brooks as a particular danger.

He says the Warriors' kicking game will have to go up a level against a player like Tedesco, who liked to attack the ball.

As for 19-year-old Brooks, Elliott believes he had the goods to be a quality No.7 for a long time.

"He's getting plenty of wraps for a good reason," he said.

"He plays direct and he's not scared to get tackled. Souths ran monsters at him and he aimed up.

"It's okay being talented, but the NRL has a pre-requisite of being tough as well and at moment he's ticking both boxes."

Elliott has made one injury-related change to the side who got past the Cowboys.

Utility Thomas Leuluai has recovered from a lengthy groin complaint to be in line to make his first appearance of the season.

He has been added to the bench in place of Feleti Mateo, who has a knee injury but is expected to be available to face Cronulla in Sydney next week.

Leuluai played every minute of the Warriors' 24 matches last season, providing stability and direction at five-eighth.

Elliott said the 31-Test Kiwi offered options at hooker and in the halves, and even at lock, and his presence in training this week was a reminder of his importance to the team.

The match will be the seventh for the Warriors at Westpac Stadium, where their record is one draw and five losses.

There will be a personal milestone for second rower Simon Mannering who will captain the Warriors for a club-record 92nd time.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...of-resurgent-wests-tigers-20140328-35mfv.html

JJ

Immortal
As for 19-year-old Brooks, Elliott believes he had the goods to be a quality No.7 for a long time.

"He's getting plenty of wraps for a good reason," he said.

"He plays direct and he's not scared to get tackled. Souths ran monsters at him and he aimed up.

"It's okay being talented, but the NRL has a pre-requisite of being tough as well and at moment he's ticking both boxes."

Did Matt Elliott just make sense?

Blair

Coach
There seems to be a real cultural issue at the Warriors. Having lazy flair is one thing but some of the guys are just a little *too* slack and don't seem to take anything seriously.

Needs a club wide attitude shake-up.

I thought we started that with Ali Lauitiiti, ten years ago.

Scott

Bench
Apparently Mateo was dropped. Not injured at all. Told to work on his fitness & will not play any grade this weekend.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Because a week is going to make all the difference to fitness, innit!

This is quite shocking. I know the off-season is like a holiday to the players. But shouldn't there be some guidelines, as the players still need to look after themselves, physically.

It's kinda like if I went on holiday from work, and got addicted to meth!

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Yes and that back fired. Anderson what a dick. Belittled a franchise player and the team and supporters paid the price.

Was it Anderson, or was Mick Watson actually behind that decision? I remember him (Watson) describing himself as a "change merchant". Well the club sure changed after that incident, didn't it?

The Pa Kid

Juniors
The way I recall it, Ali's downfall was not saying "I want to win a premiership". The real cancer at the club at that time was the CEO, IMO.

True and a dose of chemo couldn?t have come quick enough. Did Stacey leave during Watson & Anderson?s watch? That really pissed me off.

vvvrulz

Coach
The way I recall it, Ali's downfall was not saying "I want to win a premiership". The real cancer at the club at that time was the CEO, IMO.

He said something "I just wanna have fun" right?
That's a failure also on Anderson's part on how these boys tick.

Skinner

Coach
Was it Anderson, or was Mick Watson actually behind that decision? I remember him (Watson) describing himself as a "change merchant". Well the club sure changed after that incident, didn't it?

Yeah, you're absolutely right mate. It was Mick Watson all the way. What an arrogant arsehole he was. Ando had no knowledge of it.

Skinner

Coach
He said something "I just wanna have fun" right?
That's a failure also on Anderson's part on how these boys tick.

NO, he actually said he put his family and his religion before winning a premiership. Watson had him out of the club within hours.

ozbash

Referee
Wasn't it something to do with him enjoying going to church with his grandmother ?

Poor bugger was put on the spot iirc..

vvvrulz

Coach
NO, he actually said he put his family and his religion before winning a premiership. Watson had him out of the club within hours.

Ah cheers.

Still its no reason to sack one of your star players.
A whole career wasted.

Rich102

Staff member
And didn't Monty come out and back Watson?
So much for supporting your team mates.