What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Tigers

Meth

Staff member
1- Tuivasa-Sheck
2- Pompey
3- Aitken
4- Berry/ Montoya
5- Maumalo
6- Walsh
7- Nikorima
8- Taunoa-Brown
9- Egan
10- Ah Mau
11- Sironen
12- Murdoch-Masilla
13- Harris

Res- Afoa, Evans, Tevaga, Harris-Tavita

Curran out (injured)

JJ

Immortal
Be interesting to see whether he has the stones to commit to Walsh...

I should pay more attention, but really hanging in there for the return of AFB and Hiku

Meth

Staff member
Be interesting to see whether he has the stones to commit to Walsh...

I should pay more attention, but really hanging in there for the return of AFB and Hiku

Hiku gone for the season, I heard.

Scott

Bench
Walsh has to start. He is the present & the future. He must start.

I just don't know where.

I would look at completely re-jigging the way we play. Perhaps have RTS in a floating 13 type roll through the middle. Similar to the way the Tigers played Dene Halatau in 2005. Jump into dummy half and run. With Kodi, CHT, Walsh, RTS, Egan our game should be based on speed through the middle third.

Benek

Juniors
RTS is still one of the best fullbacks in the game. I can't see how you justify moving him away from that position. We just need to start using him more like a fullback and less like a prop.

But I agree that Walsh should be starting. CHT's tackling ability is the only thing making it difficult to say easy swap, Walsh in for CHT.

Penrose_11

Juniors
RTS is still one of the best fullbacks in the game. I can't see how you justify moving him away from that position. We just need to start using him more like a fullback and less like a prop.
Agree 100%. CHT doesn’t make the 17 on current form. We shouldn’t be picking to develop players. Play our best 17 available week in week out. Walsh at 6. RTS at 1.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Walsh has to start. He is the present & the future. He must start.

I just don't know where.

I would look at completely re-jigging the way we play. Perhaps have RTS in a floating 13 type roll through the middle. Similar to the way the Tigers played Dene Halatau in 2005. Jump into dummy half and run. With Kodi, CHT, Walsh, RTS, Egan our game should be based on speed through the middle third.
Interesting idea, personally I think he needs to play 6, and expectations need to be managed...

RTS is probably the third best FB in the game, like others I don't see how any team gets better with him elsewhere (unless you have Teddy or Turbo wearing #1). Halatau was a good 1st grader, but not really a lock in any particular position, so not really similar, more akin to Jazz, exept Jazz isn't a threat at dummy half, but adds energy (sometimes misdirected energy)

Benek

Juniors
If Brown is intent on putting Walsh at fullback, where can RTS go that’s not on the wing? Could RTS play 6?

Doesn’t really make sense to me though. Walsh has the kicking game we need in the halves right now.

BLN2

Juniors
Fullback and 6 are pretty similar in terms of attack. RTS is almost a little old fashioned now as a fullback, most of the top 1's have great passing and kicking games, Rog is a run first guy, and looks awkward when throwing passes. Walsh showed in the second half he has no trouble playing 1 and being the main kicking option. 1 also hides Walsh a little, where as RTS has wing experience.

I think it can work.. Roger was flashing up enough in the middle of the park in attack. If it doesn't work, Brown will need to make a tough call and put CHT or Kodi on the bench. Walsh is too good.

TheDMC

Bench
Seemed to me that RTS disappeared for about the first 20 mins on the wing and then the last 20 was involved a heap. So whatever they did for that last 20 moving forward please (if he is moved from FB).

If Brown is intent on putting Walsh at fullback, where can RTS go that’s not on the wing? Could RTS play 6?

Doesn’t really make sense to me though. Walsh has the kicking game we need in the halves right now.
The big issue is thinking about next year, if Walsh going to fullback, you can't stuff up a developing halves combination that will be there next year eg Nikorima and CHT.
If 6 is Walsh's best position and we can jag a fullback for next year then move Nikorima or CHT to hooker and rotate with Egan.
Otherwise fullback it is and RTS to Ken or Pompeys spot.

Last edited:

Big Marn

Juniors
Noticed it the first time Walsh kicked on the last tackle in his debut. Multitude of reasons he should be starting

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I’d have him on the wing

I think the game has passed by the battering ram winger like Maumolo, and the wing is a good place to get a feel for everything in the NRL, the smart coaches can also come up with plans to get the winger roaming around the park

Defensively I’d be concerned about him at 6, might not be a fair game to judge him on as Turbo is on fire at the moment, but as Brown said Hasler was waiting for Walsh to come on and as soon as he did they flooded him in the middle of the park with great success

RTS came in on the wing behind Minichiello, Turbo came in on the wing behind Stewart and there are many examples of this over the years, and you can swap them round occasionally during the game too

MKEB...

Staff member
RTS fullback in defense, standoff in attack.
Walsh standoff in defense, fullback in attack.

Latest posts