What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Tigers

Diesel

Referee
I was just about to ask if anyone knows what was written above about Ken was true. Homesickness/mental health?

Big Marn

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/8eb790b839119b56c4d7c1ec6b524564

Reece is 18. He’s young,” he told media on Wednesday.

“People probably aren’t aware of it but he played two years ago at the end of the year for the Australian Schoolboys. Last year he didn’t play and he’d played two or three Q Cup games before he got to us.

“So for an 18-year-old to have only three or four games of footy in 18 months, then to become a starting first-grader in one of our more demanding positions is probably a little unrealistic or not fair to do every week.”

Brown added the club is “fortunate” to have a player with “Roger’s resume” who is willing to move to free up a spot in the side for Walsh.

But he adds that the club will “continue to manage him the best way we feel”, revealing he feels a sense of responsibility to the youngster’s parents.

“I do get when people watch him come on and see what he does and think I’m a bit of a dumbo,” he said.

“I’m happy to cop the medicine. Reece’s parents took a big punt on coming to us, so I’ve got an obligation to protect him somewhat.

“Am I overprotecting him? Maybe a little bit. But he’ll certainly start some games for us.

We want to win now but we’ve also got a kid who’s got a lot of years in the game.

Those comments and in particular the reference to Walsh’s parents changed Mannah’s mind.

“My view just changed in the last 30 seconds,” he said on NRL Tonight on Wednesday.

“I was of the opinion, get him in the team, he’s playing great, you’re a better team when he’s on the field, why wouldn’t you have him there?

“But watching that it’s actually coming from a good place that he wants to protect him and hearing that he owes it to his parents goes a long way.
What a load of shit.

To quote Sir Matt Busby:
"If your good enough, your old enough"

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
What a load of shit.

To quote Sir Matt Busby:
"If your good enough, your old enough"

Yeah.

Let's be honest - we're probably not going to have him past the three year contract. He becomes a superstar, he's going to go back to Australia where he's from on a big contract.

So why wouldn't we play him? I'm not saying break the guy, but he's our asset, Brown is saying he's in our best 13 but we're managing him. Bugger that. Let the kid play. Let him learn how to defend big bodies, take hits, manage himself week to week in the NRL.

Rich102

Staff member
No. We have to look after the kid; to do less would be stupid.
He is going to be huge. There will be a lot of kids in NZ and Oz watching what is happening to him. (And their parents.)
We look after him we could reap big rewards in recruiting. Thrash him and they will go elsewhere.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just read on the NZ Warriors forum there’s rumours about Ken giving up his contract.

Not sure what to think

Reading between the lines I reckon similar situation to Fus. I figure neither of them are cut out for living here in an indefinite central coast bubble and need to be around their families and community. I think we’ve done well to only have two players go that way to be honest.

Tongue

Juniors
Team instantly has a better look to it with both Walsh and Tuivasa-Shek included. Dont know the guts of Maulamos situation, but if its a break to freshen up, Im all for it. Hes not as his best.