What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Cowboys

muznik

Juniors
the fact that Wenty have a bye doesn't help INU's cause as well.

Well well .. do they?
:sarcasm:

Hmmm it would be well out of left field but promote them all from Wenty and make the top squad sit & watch ! :crazy: :D :crazy: :lol:

Mickyd39

Juniors
All i want Parra to do this week (besides win)is score first.

then see how they go from there. if we don't win, at least we scored first and that is something we have not done all year.

its a start.

salvy71

Juniors
All i want Parra to do this week (besides win)is score first.

then see how they go from there. if we don't win, at least we scored first and that is something we have not done all year.

its a start.

I actually read a stat somewhere that Parra have only been in the lead for 38 minutes this entire season . :shock:

WallyG

Juniors
I'm getting Greg Drake and Gary Vernon flashes .:lol:

At least in the early ninties, the crap cattle we had generally had a dig.

By the way, at least 3 of the younger guys mentioned are talking with the Raiders and the Roosters. Apparently, they have been told nothing about their futures and are all jack of it

Stagger eel

Staff member
At least in the early ninties, the crap cattle we had generally had a dig.

By the way, at least 3 of the younger guys mentioned are talking with the Raiders and the Roosters. Apparently, they have been told nothing about their futures and are all jack of it

are you talking about our NYC players???

WallyG

Juniors
are you talking about our NYC players???

No Wenty players, who were in NYC last year. Sorry to be so cryptic, but one of the players fathers told me in confidence what was happening. It seems they are all in limbo and sick of waiting to hear whether or not they fit into DA's future plans. He did say however, that the Election had also played its part in the "not knowing"

Stagger eel

Staff member
No Wenty players, who were in NYC last year. Sorry to be so cryptic, but one of the players fathers told me in confidence what was happening. It seems they are all in limbo and sick of waiting to hear whether or not they fit into DA's future plans. He did say however, that the Election had also played its part in the "not knowing"

yep, I don't blame them..tbh

Chipmunk

Coach
This is pretty much the team that has been touched up for the past 2 weeks.

When is Anderson going to realise that Burt is not a fullback and he does not run the ball back with any power. GET RID OF HIM. I know burt is not the only one playing bad, but Anderson has to start somewhere.

And if Burt doesnt play Full-back, who will be the player that then passes the ball to Hayne and his right winger, because of all of the players in the current squad, none of them can pass (except Mateo who plays predominantly left) Left to Right ! Might as well run two defensive players at right centre/right winger if you get rid of Burt, because they will be catching a cold waiting 4-5 weeks for someone to pass them the ball!

Chipmunk

Coach
Im astounded how certain backs (Finch, then Inu, Hayne moved positions) have been made the fall guys for the start of the season, especially Inu! The likes of Mick Cronin and Reg Gasnier would look ordinary behind our slow play the balls and resulting lack of go-forward.

Having said that, there doesnt appear to be much to throw into the forwards besides alot of untried youngsters and a player making his way back from injury.

I think we will see a vastly different side after the Bye.

oldmancraigy

Coach
just out of interest, what is the effect on the salary cap if we do promoite our juniors, do they then get included into our top 25 or whatever i.e. we have to pay them more, just wondering if there is something around that, that is forcing DA's hand not to promote anymore juniors, we simply cant afford to...

Not sure, anyone?

The problem is for 2010.

If we promote them then the other teams get a look at them in first grade. If they have any talent whatsoever, then someone will come along and throw the chequebook at them for a mid-term deal that we would be forced to match if we wanted to keep them.

Take Tony Williams as an example - how good would it be to have him available for selection as a rampaging back-rower off the bench? But because he got picked last season, Manly saw he has some serious ability, and threw a 3 year 150k deal at him.
If we had matched, then we'd be without the services of Tautai, Oake and Hauraki for this season (at the time I said worse things could happen!)
But you get the point!

If we play some youngsters (say Allgood and Johnson as props) and they look halfway decent, then someone will come along and offer them 80-100k. Which means we'd have to match that to keep 'em.
Which THEN means we run out of money to buy someone significant for next season.

The basic problem is that we have hacks on decent-good money and we need to bleed those contracts out before we can afford to manage the cap properly and bring through young guys with an assurance that we might actually be able to keep 'em.

slippy

Juniors
That has to be the worst Eels side in recent memory, in both general playing talent and taking current form into consideration. Last time I felt this helpless about a game was against the Roosters about 5 years ago, of course, we then got up in that one.

I don't see that happening this time.

What's happened to Bauman? I thought he had a bit of talent last year in the 20's, but he doesn't seem to be able to get off the NSW Cup bench. He was a big effort player, something we need a bit of now. I don't get out to NSW Cup though so can't tell how he's doing now.

26-18 and Burt scored two tries? Wagon put on a massive hit on Minichello and harrassed him all night. They went on to make the grand final. That was the season they dominated defensively.

I remember that night fondly!
Correct?

yy_cheng

Coach
Im astounded how certain backs (Finch, then Inu, Hayne moved positions) have been made the fall guys for the start of the season, especially Inu! The likes of Mick Cronin and Reg Gasnier would look ordinary behind our slow play the balls and resulting lack of go-forward.

Having said that, there doesnt appear to be much to throw into the forwards besides alot of untried youngsters and a player making his way back from injury.

I think we will see a vastly different side after the Bye.

It might be a subtle way to ask him to leave.

Goleel

Juniors
26-18 and Burt scored two tries? Wagon put on a massive hit on Minichello and harrassed him all night. They went on to make the grand final. That was the season they dominated defensively.

I remember that night fondly!
Correct?

I believe so Slippy, back in 2004 it was. Burt put his second on as the siren went to secure the result. 26-12 it may have ended up. I remember that game mostly because I was lucky enough to watch it from the old Ray Price Lounge, but damn it was a good effort, and the Roosters had won a whole bunch in a row previously.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I believe so Slippy, back in 2004 it was. Burt put his second on as the siren went to secure the result. 26-12 it may have ended up. I remember that game mostly because I was lucky enough to watch it from the old Ray Price Lounge, but damn it was a good effort, and the Roosters had won a whole bunch in a row previously.

Was that the night we scored twice in about 4 minutes to start the game?

fish eel

Immortal
The problem is for 2010.

If we promote them then the other teams get a look at them in first grade. If they have any talent whatsoever, then someone will come along and throw the chequebook at them for a mid-term deal that we would be forced to match if we wanted to keep them.

Take Tony Williams as an example - how good would it be to have him available for selection as a rampaging back-rower off the bench? But because he got picked last season, Manly saw he has some serious ability, and threw a 3 year 150k deal at him.
If we had matched, then we'd be without the services of Tautai, Oake and Hauraki for this season (at the time I said worse things could happen!)
But you get the point!

If we play some youngsters (say Allgood and Johnson as props) and they look halfway decent, then someone will come along and offer them 80-100k. Which means we'd have to match that to keep 'em.
Which THEN means we run out of money to buy someone significant for next season.

The basic problem is that we have hacks on decent-good money and we need to bleed those contracts out before we can afford to manage the cap properly and bring through young guys with an assurance that we might actually be able to keep 'em.

Tony Williams got picked after he had signed with Manly.

Personally, I dont think we should worry about whether a kid would be offered the world by another club. Cross that bridge when we come to it, in the meantime, if Anderson thinks they're up to it he should pick 'em.

yep fishy i agree, i was getting at are we restricted by the salary cap and if they play 1st grade could that mean we go over the cap? if not, then if they are good enough they should play, at least for experience, even off the bench. Would really like to see mortimer given a few games off the bench this year just to get a feel of top grade before next year.

caylo

Bench
Mannah was a world beater in under 20, Allgood and Johnston arent as good as he was, they are all still quiet young. They would get destroyed at the moment in the top grade. I think its much easier to elevate a outside back or half then it is to elevate a forward especially a prop. Think of guys like Poore, Bailey, Price, Fui, OMealy and Weyman... how long has it taken them to find form in the top grade. It takes 3 years to get used to pack and strength of NRL football. Mannah can be good, we must persist. Allgood looks very good, as does Te Whata and Jonston but they will require time.