What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs. Eels - Rd 1

AliN

Live Update Team
Why sign Inu? Good luck to Glen, he deserves a go after putting 100% into every trial he played it.
It's a good team..

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/832/Fisiiahi-to-debut-in-Battle-of-Eden

Fisiiahi to debut in 'Battle of Eden'

Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary has handed 20-year-old Glen Fisiiahi his NRL debut in Saturday night’s historic ‘Battle of Eden’ against the Parramatta Eels at Eden Park.

Joining Fisiiahi in their first appearances for their new club will be experienced new signings Feleti Mateo and Shaun Berrigan, Mateo named in the second row against his former team-mates and ex-Brisbane utility Berrigan picked on the interchange bench.
Cleary’s first side of the year was revealed as the Vodafone Warriors launched their 2011 campaign at a gala breakfast event at SKYCITY this morning, just four days out from the first NRL match ever played at Eden Park and the first home game the Vodafone Warriors have played away from Mount Smart Stadium since the club came into existence in 1995.
The guest list of 450 included sponsors, Vodafone Warriors members, media representatives, former Vodafone Warriors, the club’s 2011 NRL and NYC squads, football staff and management.
The selection of the right winger was one of the most hotly-contested. Fisiiahi, new signing Krisnan Inu, Kevin Locke and Bill Tupou were all in contention throughout last month’s programme of four trials with Fisiiahi ultimately rewarded for his form just months after excelling for the Vodafone Junior Warriors as they won the 2010 NYC grand final to clinch the club’s first premiership.
Playing at fullback, speedster Fisiiahi scored 20 tries in 26 games for the side and went on to play for the Junior Kiwis in their two-match series against the Junior Kangaroos. He featured in all four NRL trials, scoring a double in his first two outings against Newcastle and Parramatta followed by a fifth try against Burleigh.
From a well-known Auckland rugby league family, Fisiiahi hadn’t expected his NRL debut to come so soon.
“The last few months have been unbelievable, winning the NYC premiership with the Vodafone Junior Warriors, playing for the Junior Kiwis and then joining the NRL squad for the off-season,” he said.
“It’s been amazing training with all the top players we have at the club and playing with them in the trials.
“And now I’ve been given the chance to play my first NRL match already. I didn’t expect this just yet but I’m so excited and looking forward to running out onto Eden Park on Saturday night.”
Cleary is equally excited.
“There was certainly plenty of competition for the right wing, as there was for positions right across the park,” he said.
“But Glen deserves this chance for this game. So far he has done everything we have expected of him.”
Fisiiahi will become Vodafone Warrior No 163, Mateo No 164 and Berrigan No 165. Apart from the trio, the make-up of the side to take on the Eels is familiar with most of 2010’s regulars back in the frame.
Among them is prop Jacob Lillyman, who celebrated his 27th birthday and will play his 99th NRL match on a night when highly-successful Kiwi coach and former Vodafone Warrior Stephen Kearney will have his first outing as an NRL head coach since being signed by the Eels.
Vodafone Warriors vice-captain Micheal Luck starts his sixth season with the club just six games short of his 200th career appearance in the NRL while fullback Lance Hohaia is about to start his 10th campaign with the club, only the third player after Stacey Jones and Awen Guttenbeil to rack up 10 seasons with the Vodafone Warriors.
The Vodafone Warriors and Parramatta warmed up for Saturday night’s NRL season-opener with a trial in Rotorua on February 12, the Vodafone Warriors winning 24-4.
They’ll wear a new special edition strip for the ‘Battle of Eden’. Canterbury of New Zealand designed the eye-catching all-black and white kit, coming up with a jersey featuring a fern wrapped around the club’s logo. All sponsors’ logos on the uniform appear in white.
•Tickets for ‘The Battle of Eden’ can be bought now at http://www.ticketek.co.nz/
•Prices range from $20 for adults in uncovered seats and also in a designated alcohol-free area to $45 for covered seats. Prices are $15 for children aged 2-16 in all areas while family passes (two adults and three children) are priced at $100 in the uncovered and alcohol-free areas and $120 for covered seating.
•For information about Vodafone Warriors memberships and corporate memberships go to www.warriors.co.nz
VODAFONE WARRIORS v PARRAMATTA EELS
Eden Park, Auckland
7.30pm, Saturday, March 12

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 LANCE HOHAIA
2 GLEN FISIIAHI
3 JOEL MOON
4 JEROME ROPATI
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 JAMES MALONEY
7 BRETT SEYMOUR
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 AARON HEREMAIA
10 RUSSELL PACKER
11 SIMON MANNERING (c)
12 FELETI MATEO
13 MICHEAL LUCK
Interchange:
14 SHAUN BERRIGAN
15 JACOB LILLYMAN
16 BEN MATULINO
17 LEWIS BROWN
18 STEVE RAPIRA
COACH: IVAN CLEARY

Scott

Bench
We're almost there! Can't wait.

Looking forward to seeing the Fish. Early prediction - NRL Rookie of the year!

JAG

Juniors
Didn't think Inu did enough in the trials so not that surprised he's not there. Locke? Maybe a bit unlucky.

Do find it amusing that we're starting with just about what we had last year, apart from The Fish and Mateo (and Berrigan on the bench)! Quite happy with that team though.

Think Seymour will have to step up, with John breathing down his neck.

hitman82

Bench
Awesome team! Exactly what I would have picked.

Only difference being Mateo at 12 rather than 11.

But I guess you're better off having 1 new combination than 2, and the Mannering>Ropati>Vatuvei link is well established already.

Stoked to see Fish getting his debut already, such an electric player. This will make Inu and Locke realise they have to train and play their absolute guts out in the lower grade in order to force their way into the team. Can only be good for us in the long term.

Hurry up Saturday!!

hitman82

Bench
Didn't think Inu did enough in the trials so not that surprised he's not there. Locke? Maybe a bit unlucky.

Do find it amusing that we're starting with just about what we had last year, apart from The Fish and Mateo (and Berrigan on the bench)! Quite happy with that team though.

Think Seymour will have to step up, with John breathing down his neck.

To be honest those players make a pretty big difference to our line up.
Plus we don't have anyone else who would have been worth picking for Round 1, except Ukuma for Brown - but Brown offers a wider range of skills I guess. I just like the rampaging Tongan.

Meth

Staff member
I can't believe anybody would think Locke is unlucky. Or that anybody would want Inu at centre, over Moon.

Great side

Izz

Bench
Go the Fish! Glad to see they didn't put Inu in there just because they bought him.

Not surprised to see Seymour get the nod over John at this stage. I think Seymour (if he stays injury free) is gonna have a big year. But yeah, John's gonna be a-biting at his heels. And even though Mateo's playing 12, i think he'll have free range. Expect to see him and Moon play some ball.

Last edited:

JAG

Juniors
To be honest those players make a pretty big difference to our line up.
Plus we don't have anyone else who would have been worth picking for Round 1, except Ukuma for Brown - but Brown offers a wider range of skills I guess. I just like the rampaging Tongan.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining. I've been impressed with what I've seen of Mateo and Berrigan in the pre-season.

I was just comparing it to the likes of the Bunnies, who seem to sign 48 new players every season! :D

hitman82

Bench
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining. I've been impressed with what I've seen of Mateo and Berrigan in the pre-season.

I was just comparing it to the likes of the Bunnies, who seem to sign 48 new players every season! :D

Haha, fair enough! New players are pretty exciting too. Noone has spoken much about Berrigan; he could surprise us all with what he brings to the team.

broncos2010

Juniors
you guys spend so much money on inu and are playing a guy that played nsw cup most of last year over him ... What the hell ???

hitman82

Bench
Good question

If we played Inu, the question would have been 'why play Inu?' and 'because we signed him' would not have been a good enough answer
Hard.
I am glad we signed Inu - we have SFA PROVEN depth at centre and wing; he brings experience and (somewhat inconsistent) quality to both these positions, along with Fullback.
But no way would I have selected him over Fish. Probably over Locke though. And if Moon was injured I'd have him as a centre.

hitman82

Bench
Good question

If we played Inu, the question would have been 'why play Inu?' and 'because we signed him' would not have been a good enough answer

you guys spend so much money on inu and are playing a guy that played nsw cup most of last year over him ... What the hell ???
You mean Moon? He was awesome in the trials, and never let us down when he played last year. The only reason Moon wasn't full time in 2010 was because Tate was (sometimes) not injured.

Izz

Bench
I actually think we got Inu for pretty cheap, though i have no hard evidence to back that up with.