What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Sharks

My issue with Johnson is his slow work with the ball. He doesn't have a plan for a set of six, quickly adapting depending on field position and the opponent's weakness. What he seems to do is hope to suddenly find a miracle play. This slows him down. I'd like to see him more direct and straightforward with his decision making. Faster execution. You need to think very quickly and know what you're gonna do before you get the ball. If something suddenly changes, then you can go to plan B. He did a bit better last night than he was doing last season but I think here's a long way to go, most of it is mental.
He needs to realize that consistently flawless fast execution of well rehearsed simple plays can be a lot more effective than wasting time looking for miracle moves.

He needs to focus more on his execution of the basics.

vvvrulz

Coach
I had a problem with Johnson resorting to the bomb to Mini over and over again. He didn't create anything on attack except for that Topou try and his 90m run away was mostly dumb luck, other than that it was nothing doing.

He wasn't terrible but I'd give his game a 6/10 at best.

I think a lot of it is the lack of rehearsed plays, and teammates not knowing what lines to run, timing their runs poorly, that sort of stuff. And I can't really see Johnson telling blokes around him what to do, where to stand, what plays he's running etc.

Iafeta

Referee
Which is why I'd be happier with Leuluai at 7 and Johnson at 6. There's no doubt for mine he has to be in the halves though, so far Leuluai has shown the creativity of split butter.

ozbash

Referee
Which is why I'd be happier with Leuluai at 7 and Johnson at 6. There's no doubt for mine he has to be in the halves though, so far Leuluai has shown the creativity of split butter.

Hopefully he will create once he gets the ESL out of his system.

Like Thomas wearing the 9 jersey..

Only change needed to me is the inclusion of Mara for Taylor. Hurrell is obviously down on confidence and I'd give him another week before relegating him to the Vulcans as Im not overly confident in his replacements. Give the boy some ball in space and see if he can't get on a roll.

Looking forward to the return of Sam L.

JoeD

First Grade
Give him the ball close to the line even with no space. Has shown a knack for getting through the line in those situations.

Meth

Staff member
Give him the ball close to the line even with no space. Has shown a knack for getting through the line in those situations.

Which we don't really seem to be doing all that much.

WellsNZ

Juniors
1. Locke
2. Fish
3. Nielsen
4. Henry
5. Tupou
6. Leuluai
7. Johnson
8. Matulino
9. Mara
10. Rapira
11. Ikahihifo
12. Mannering
13. Lowrie

Godinet
Lillyman
Gubb
Mateo

Run Mara for the early part of the game to have things settled before Godinet comes in to take over. Will take some hard running from Ikahihifo to set an early tone too before Mateo comes on.

Unfortunately not a whole lot will be happening on that Henry-Tupou side but at least it won't be as much of a weakness.

Diesel

Referee
Im hearing that Flanno will return this week, if this is the case we could be in trouble as they will lift for him

WellsNZ

Juniors
Team is unchanged

1 KEVIN LOCKE
2 GLEN FISIIAHI
3 DANE NIELSEN
4 KONRAD HURRELL
5 BILL TUPOU
6 THOMAS LEULUAI
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 ELIJAH TAYLOR
10 BEN MATULINO
11 STEVE RAPIRA
12 SIMON MANNERING (c)
13 TODD LOWRIE

Interchange:
14 JACOB LILLYMAN
15 FELETI MATEO
16 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO
17 PITA GODINET
18 BEN HENRY

Iafeta

Referee
I'm confident Hurrell will bounce back. For me, we need Fish, Locke and Hurrell in the backline week in week out because they each have the athletic ability to do finish moves. We don't create enough, so we need to convert whatever we can.

I can also understand why Taylor would stay at 9 this week. For the simple reason that the Sharks pack is a quick, powerful pack, and will look to wear us down early in the middle. If Taylor can absorb that, Godinet can take advantage of some tired forwards later. As long as Godinet is getting 45-55 minutes out of the dummy half rotation, thats ok.

Meth

Staff member
The Sharks are holding a press conference in an hour and Flanagan is going to be there. Could be bad for the Warriors this weekend.