What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Storm

franklin2323

Immortal
That's pretty solid, although if Robinson can improve his defence I would pick him before Mansour. Mansour is too slow for a winger and he will only get slower as he ages.

It was quite noticeable yesterday that Whare and Simmons are a really solid pairing in defence. Nobody got through their side and when we played the Storm previously they absolutely carved us up for pace. Chambers and O'Neil (I think he was on the wing last time ) killed us, they got no room to do anything yesterday. Brown also did a good job of keeping the corridor closed out wide.

The thing is Brown is covering for what weakness Robinson has. Though I am not sold on Mansour just too slow and no footwork. Strong as an ox and a workhorse though

Lets say he scores 1 more try before the bye. We win both games We have won 4/5 with no Mansour he's replacement scored 4 tries. So far only 1 try ran past him (2 if you count the kick he dropped).

He will be hard to drop though

betcats

Referee
But all 3 are inept

This.

Wes Tighe and Geoff just arent first graders anymore.

Tighe hasnt shown much this season beside standing up Inglis, he is fast but we rarely see him in open field. Plus he is small and skinny and often driven backwards when we really need go forward.

Wes has been piss poor, he couldnt tackle my Nan, id rather they bring Purtell back and play him at centre.

Daniella? He was never a first grader.

Leave Brown there until a younger guy is ready to step up, hopefully Roberts soon.

That's pretty solid, although if Robinson can improve his defence I would pick him before Mansour. Mansour is too slow for a winger and he will only get slower as he ages.

It was quite noticeable yesterday that Whare and Simmons are a really solid pairing in defence. Nobody got through their side and when we played the Storm previously they absolutely carved us up for pace. Chambers and O'Neil (I think he was on the wing last time ) killed us, they got no room to do anything yesterday. Brown also did a good job of keeping the corridor closed out wide.

There's more to being a winger than pace.

Plenty of dummy half work needed. And the meters he makes are invaluable.

No way should he play before mansour IMO.

franklin2323

Immortal

Brown seems to do more of the dirty work Mansour did. So it might be tactics. A few times last night Robinson was back & Brown went the scoot. Then the forwards got it.

A backline of Moylan, Simmons, Brown, Whare, Mansour is just too slow. Roberts & Mansour need to come in at the same time.

Pomoz

Bench
Nope.

Given the argument above re Mansour's strength but lack of pace, does anyone see him moving to the back row off the bench?
He could be an effective back rower if he can handle the extra tackling. Hard to tell unless he plays there a few times. Some say put him in the centres, but I shudder to think what his defence would be like, he often reads the play incorrectly. To be fair, he has improved in that area, but centre is just about the toughest place to play in defence because of all the ball movement you have to deal with.

Big Mick

Referee
I'm sorry but I'd have Brown before Tighe, Naiqama and Daniela any day of the God damn week.

Naiqama should never, EVER go near the centres ever again. Daniela has had plenty of chances and Tighe just should be depth from this point.

James Roberts or Blake Austin should be our #1 and #2 options.

Pomoz

Bench
There's more to being a winger than pace.

Plenty of dummy half work needed. And the meters he makes are invaluable.

I'm certainly not saying its all about pace, but it is an important factor. We have really struggled to score tries at times and one of the reasons is our lack of pace out wide. We have also been "run around" the outside a few times because of that as well. Melbourne had a field ay last year overlapping us and we just couldn't catch them.

His dummy half work is one of his strengths. He could also make metres playing in the back row and we might score more tries then.

Pomoz

Bench
I'm sorry but I'd have Brown before Tighe, Naiqama and Daniela any day of the God damn week.

Naiqama should never, EVER go near the centres ever again. Daniela has had plenty of chances and Tighe just should be depth from this point.

James Roberts or Blake Austin should be our #1 and #2 options.
plus 1.

Brown is very underrated. If any of those other three were there last night, Chambers and O'Neil would have trampled over them so often they would have looked like road kill.

Instead, they looked like road kill in the Wolves as I understand it!

Doomednow

Bench
It's going to be hard for IC to drop Robinson after the tries he's been scoring. His second in the Storm game showed great desperation.He was lucky for it to be awarded but not many other players would have made that reach and been successful.

I know he's sort of surplus to requirements but can he be dropped if he's scoring tries? He must be our fastest at the moment as well.

In fact between his and Simmons' recent form it will be interesting to see how IC brings Mansour back.

franklin2323

Immortal
Instead, they looked like road kill in the Wolves as I understand it!

Yeah. I think we need players that can find the line over workhorses like Mansour provided we cover him. Brown is covering the work Mansour did

Tryscorers below shows we need strike power:
Simmons 7.
Manu 4.
Segeyaro 4.
Robinson 3 from 3 games. 1 from 2 last year decent strike rate
Mansour 0 in 6 games.
Naiqama 1 in 6 games.
Whare 1 in 9 games

Granted Mansour does more work but has 10kg on Robinson. Brown has a similar build as Mansour covers the loss in work. Robinson outside the hog Brown is our 2nd top scorer back which is sad but shows to me we need speed.

I wouldn't say they were roadkill but Finch/Townsend played it smart drew then in field then spread it. The centres had a field day with all the space.

Pretty much like Souths & Titans. Not too many missed tackles across the team just very poor reads.

chrisD

Coach
It's worrying that Cleary could revert to his back rowers in every position ways, but frightening to think fans would embrace it. Playing Brown in the centres is essentially saying we're better off trading a centre for an extra defender. Even playing at centre Brown isn't always defending at centre with the halves (the 6 atm) defending inside or outside of him. He's just a bigger body who can draw and pass about 50% of the time it's in front of him and otherwise create nothing off his own back out there.

Karnivayne

Juniors
It's worrying that Cleary could revert to his back rowers in every position ways, but frightening to think fans would embrace it. Playing Brown in the centres is essentially saying we're better off trading a centre for an extra defender. Even playing at centre Brown isn't always defending at centre with the halves (the 6 atm) defending inside or outside of him. He's just a bigger body who can draw and pass about 50% of the time it's in front of him and otherwise create nothing off his own back out there.

Defence wins premierships.

franklin2323

Immortal
Playing Brown in the centres is essentially saying we're better off trading a centre for an extra defender.

Short term it's the best option providing there's speed outside him. We can't buy anyone because by the end of next season Satini & co will be knocking on the door.

Here is everyone to play in the backs & there tries this year. Tell me which try scoring machine is Brown keeping out?

Simmons 7,
Robinson 3,
Whare 1,
Naiqama 1,
Tighe 1,
Humble 1,
Coote 1,
Daniela 0,
John 0,
Walsh 0,
Austin 0,

So in 9 games only 2 backs are multiple try scorers.

Tighe, Daniela aren't up to it.

We have kids not quite ready yet hopefully next year. I have looked in 3 years of Big League can't find Roberts playing centre (wing/fullback & five eighth) so he will need time in Windsor.

Satini/Jennings 12 months away. Austin injured. I can't see any options yet.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee

No what is frightening is that some want to have inferior players play in the position just because they are a "traditional" centre...even though they have no part to play in the team.

1. James Roberts
2. Blake Austin
3. Lewis Brown
4. Brad Tighe
5. Geoff Daniela
6. My grandmother
7. Wes Naiqama

and eventually Tony Satini or George Jennings but they aren't ready yet.

chrisD

Coach
The play doesn't stop dead when it gets to Tighe. It's about attributes that fit the position and producing a properly rounded side instead of papering over defensive cracks by throwing back rowers at them. Something Cleary is especially prone to doing.

murraymob

Coach
my concern with Tighe is he has been there several years and has not risen to more than a solid first grader.If put into a hole is good but would rarly break through a tackle.And with average halfs inside there is no one to put him into the hole.
Windsor have struggled the last few weeks with the different line ups due to injury so there is no one saying pick me now.Same 17 next week