What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Storm

murraymob

Coach
in order to play center you must at least be able to defend Mansour is a poor defender and makes bad reads from the wing no way can he play center.Now i believe the blooding off young players may be limited due to the high number of players we have used so far this year.
Both our NRL cap and second tier caps have reached there limits.Perhaps we need to sign a quality center as much as a half for next year

Karnivayne

Juniors
I have no inside information, I've seen Brown and Mansour move left and right and that's my opinion. I can remember Brown being rounded a few times for the warriors and almost once for us, Mansour closes all right on an open winger with no real reason to think he's particularly deficient in that area.

Im not disagreeing with you with Brown he is not a long term option but could you imagine Brown, John, Mansour and TRobinson as the left side defensive line because thats exactly what you are looking at and if i was the opposition i would love that combination.

Karnivayne

Juniors
Yes I'd take Wes over Brown at centre. Brown is not, never has been and never will be a centre. He is a back rower. He was covering while everyone was injured, now they're not he needs to go back where he belongs. Picking a centre primarily on his defensive ability is defeatist, besides Brown hasn't had to contend with the sorts of overlaps Tighe and Wes had coming at them.

Worked pretty well against Melbourne who tried that side all night.

Karnivayne

Juniors
What examples are there of Mansour being a poor tackler?

he said poor defender, which is mostly due to bad reads giving him little opportunity to pull off a successful tackle. example Raiders Blake Feguson tries x2, Souths Merritt tries x3 and Titans Gordon tries x2 didnt help that Naiqama is the worst centre in the NRL making Mansours job even harder.

chrisD

Coach
I don't understand what you're saying. That it's Tighe and Wes' fault earlier in the season we were getting consistently overlapped on our edges and they had 3 and 4 players running at them and their winger?

And Wes was playing right side inside Simmons not Mansour.

Last edited:

Karnivayne

Juniors
I don't understand what you're saying. That it's Tighe and Wes' fault earlier in the season we were getting consistently overlapped on our edges and they had 3 and 4 players running at them and their winger?

No it was their fault they defended shit, made poor defensive reads and put their team under pressure, just like Tighe yesterday.

Karnivayne

Juniors
And Wes was playing right side inside Simmons not Mansour.

Still a shit centre.

Look how good the defence is with Whare and Simmons now compared to Naqaima/Simmons and TRobbo/Brown compared to Mansour/Tighe.

Last edited:

MrAnonymous

Bench
I would bring Tighe in this week, and when he's fit Mansour in at Centre for Tighe and leave Robinson on the wing. Mansour is a younger Matai for mine. Robinson couldn't play centre, forget his positioning but just his tackling wouldn't be up for the extra workload against bigger blokes.

I don't think Tighe will play 1st grade again for Penrith.
Hopefully

chrisD

Coach
I'm trying to work out why people are blaming Mansour for poor defensive reads here. He came up when the Raider's went blindside and got cut out by a beautiful ball for their first try, and beyond that what? That's one in 6 (or 5?) games.

Tighe and Mansour got done by Idris, which was more Tighe's fault as no way he was stopping Idris with the ground he had given him, but then Tighe had only come in for a decoy who was hitting fresh air if the ball went to him instead of Idris.

Tighe came up and out against the bunnies and got done. Simmons came up for one of the Bunnies late tries where he got cut out.

The bunnies scored down Wes' side with a blind side overlap but he made the prior tackle and it wasn't his fault or Simmons', it was the inside defence not pushing over. Wes and Simmons were left 3 on 2 against a Titan's backline move. A Cowboys backline move left them 3 on 2 too. Walsh came in against the Cowboys too and left Tighe and Mansour about 4 on 2, but that wasn't really even Walsh's fault that one given the space and numbers they were against were huge.

I'm not seeing the individuals as the problem, and certainly not Mansour, it's been a structural problem.

Panther Pete

Juniors
That was a very gutsy performance from our boys. Moylan continues to impress and it was interesting to here Gary Belcher say he looks like he would be a good 5/8. Simmons had another good game, I still cant understand why so many on here bag him. If the boys can take that attitude and enthusiasm into the rest of their games this year a top 8 finish is definetely on the cards.

franklin2323

Immortal

Not always. Against Canberra Mansour Raced in for the hit on McCrone & missed him. Ferguson in un touched. Same thing against GC and Souths led to 1 try in each of those games.

What's he played 20 games? He will get better just not yet.

I want Brown gone too. Aside from the 1st Jennings try last week we haven't conceded tries through bad reads. Even last night Robinson kick fumble and a lost ball in goal that was it. Against Parra Soft defence on Hayne. Terrible tackling on Tautoi were there tries. Against Newcastle a poor miss on McManus that's it.

So I can't see changes coming anytime soon. Cleary even when we play rubbish doesn't make changes so I can't see any til atleast after the bye.

Pomoz

Bench
I don't understand the scorn on Brown. He volunteered for the centres because of all the injuries. In that position he hasn't let any one down IMO. We have not conceded tries down his side because of poor defence. Previously it was like a toll gate when Naquaima was there. He does plenty of runs from dummy half to help the forwards. I know he won't be scoring length of the field tries because of his lack of pace but you can't ask for any more until we get a replacement centre (presumably Roberts once he is match fit). Would you prefer Daniela?

Pomoz

Bench
1. Moylan
2. Mansour
3. Roberts (When Fit)
4. Whare
5. Simmons

Simple.
That's pretty solid, although if Robinson can improve his defence I would pick him before Mansour. Mansour is too slow for a winger and he will only get slower as he ages.

It was quite noticeable yesterday that Whare and Simmons are a really solid pairing in defence. Nobody got through their side and when we played the Storm previously they absolutely carved us up for pace. Chambers and O'Neil (I think he was on the wing last time ) killed us, they got no room to do anything yesterday. Brown also did a good job of keeping the corridor closed out wide.

chrisD

Coach
Brown is in Tighe's spot not Wes', and my only problem with him is he's not a centre and whilst it was understandable he fill in there when we had 3 injured centres, now some are fit again he should move back out.

Karnivayne

Juniors
That's pretty solid, although if Robinson can improve his defence I would pick him before Mansour. Mansour is too slow for a winger and he will only get slower as he ages.

It was quite noticeable yesterday that Whare and Simmons are a really solid pairing in defence. Nobody got through their side and when we played the Storm previously they absolutely carved us up for pace. Chambers and O'Neil (I think he was on the wing last time ) killed us, they got no room to do anything yesterday. Brown also did a good job of keeping the corridor closed out wide.

Mansour gives us that grunt coming out of our own end if he has a good centre inside of him that reads a game knows when to slide or up and in he will be ok.

In my opinion Daniela, Tighe and Naiqama shouldnt be anywhere near first grade, G jennings/Satini should get priority over all of them if there is an injury.

Karnivayne

Juniors
Brown is in Tighe's spot not Wes', and my only problem with him is he's not a centre and whilst it was understandable he fill in there when we had 3 injured centres, now some are fit again he should move back out.
But all 3 are inept

Latest posts