What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teamlist Tuesday - Rnd 20 Vs Roosters | Thursday 29 July @ Mackay

hindy111

Post Whore
Can we just clarify something? The first position that was put forward by many people including yourself is that we don’t do something because of bad coaching.

I am not taking the reverse position and suggesting that it is all down to the players. I am merely pointing out the folly of laying all of the blame on the coach. We are where we are as a result of both the coach and the players.

You are becoming Pous echo. His parrot. Next thing you'll be sitting on his left shoulder.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's an 80 minute game mate. f**k knows why we went away from what works for us. We had some bad luck last week and suddenly thought we needed to play Parraball. That shit just leads to errors. It belong in the past.

hindy111

Post Whore
If I ever become your echo I'll absolutely give it away. Pou is a smart merkin and a gentleman to boot in real life. Happy to be assaulted a wet lettuce for believing he makes more sense than dribblers such as yourself.

Bit personal. I made a sarcastic joke.
Chill out

hindy111

Post Whore
It's an 80 minute game mate. f**k knows why we went away from what works for us. We had some bad luck last week and suddenly thought we needed to play Parraball. That shit just leads to errors. It belong in the past.

Twice we had periods where we dominated and couldn't crack them and the next set they went the length of field to score. With barely any ball.
This has nothing to do with anything bar mentality. We can defend them and had their measure. But for periods we become frustrated and give up.
We played hot potato cause the coach would of instructed them to move the ball more. Not a bad ploy and I hope they stick with it. Come finals this style may of gelled and we will be much more potent.
Playing force men's back will result in us not being able to score, heads going down and conceding 18 fast points.

hindy111

Post Whore
I was wondering what to have for lunch. Might have some Portuguese Chicken in honour of last night’s debacle.

I do not see why everyone is firing up anyhows. I predicted this at start of season. And again 8 weeks ago. The sides floored. I would of been more surprised had we pushed for a title tbh.

A good Portuguese burger and chips will make you forget fast of last night's game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Twice we had periods where we dominated and couldn't crack them and the next set they went the length of field to score. With barely any ball.
This has nothing to do with anything bar mentality. We can defend them and had their measure. But for periods we become frustrated and give up.
We played hot potato cause the coach would of instructed them to move the ball more. Not a bad ploy and I hope they stick with it. Come finals this style may of gelled and we will be much more potent.
Playing force men's back will result in us not being able to score, heads going down and conceding 18 fast points.
We put five tries on them earlier this year. Our attack is fine if we stick to the game plan. Our players were spooked by Canberra's 'line speed' last week and all the media talk about how to beat it. The way to beat it is to outlast them. Gallen made it clear after beating us one time. We smashed them early and eventually ran out of puff and they took the game away from us. In the post-game interview he said they just took their punishment and stayed patient. That's how you deal with aggressive defence. If you let them force you away from your structure you've already lost.

It would be nice if we could attack like Melbourne and play attractive footy but we just don't have the players. We need to play our game.

lucablight

First Grade
We put five tries on them earlier this year. Our attack is fine if we stick to the game plan. Our players were spooked by Canberra's 'line speed' last week and all the media talk about how to beat it. The way to beat it is to outlast them. Gallen made it clear after beating us one time. We smashed them early and eventually ran out of puff and they took the game away from us. In the post-game interview he said they just took their punishment and stayed patient. That's how you deal with aggressive defence. If you let them force you away from your structure you've already lost.

It would be nice if we could attack like Melbourne and play attractive footy but we just don't have the players. We need to play our game.
Hoping to have 65%+ of the possession every game in the hopes you can win it in the final 5 minutes isn’t a very good attacking plan. Even Matthew Johns said that if Brad Arthur thinks the attack is fine then he has very low standards.

yy_cheng

Coach
The hot potato was way too willy nilly. They passed when the support player wasn't a support player or they just threw it out the back.

It should be lower risk movement of the ball.

I definitely think it was the coach's game plan as everyone was more or less doing it except RCG.

It's like BA: guys, here's the attacking game plan, just throw it around.

And that was it.

Footballers are professionals but they are not smart. Some are even Effin merkins

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hoping to have 65%+ of the possession every game in the hopes you can win it in the final 5 minutes isn’t a very good attacking plan. Even Matthew Johns said that if Brad Arthur thinks the attack is fine then he has very low standards.
Trying to play like the Storm without all the skill and speed also isn't a good attacking plan. The media earn their money by generating drama, and you dopes are buying whatever they're selling.

No our attack isn't the best, but different tactics aren't the solution.

lucablight

First Grade
Trying to play like the Storm without all the skill and speed also isn't a good attacking plan. The media earn their money by generating drama, and you dopes are buying whatever they're selling.

No our attack isn't the best, but different tactics aren't the solution.
I don’t agree with this narrative about our players not being comparable. We have Gutherson who is a fringe origin player just like Papenhuyzen. Ferguson/Sivo are better than George Jennings, Waqa Blake is better than Reimis Smith. I will grant you that Addo Carr and Olam are better than our backs. Then in the halves we have Moses who is better than Hughes. Munster is obviously much better than Brown. You make it sound like they have it all over us in terms of talent but if you compare the teams individually that’s just not true. They’re just a better coached team.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t agree with this narrative about our players not being comparable. We have Gutherson who is a fringe origin player just like Papenhuyzen. Ferguson/Sivo are better than George Jennings, Waqa Blake is better than Reimis Smith. I will grant you that Addo Carr and Olam are better than our backs. Then in the halves we have Moses who is better than Hughes. Munster is obviously much better than Brown. You make it sound like they have it all over us in terms of talent but if you compare the teams individually that’s just not true. They’re just a better coached team.
It's not even a matter of better, but of being different. The Storm players are faster, especially out wide. They also have better dummy half running (not playmaking) from both their star hookers, and their middles are a lot harder working than ours. Their only defensive liability in the middle rarely plays 40 minutes, so he's far less exposed than Paulo, yet he makes almost as many runs (10.1 vs 11.9). And don't compare Drown with Munster and Moses with Hughes just because of their jersey numbers. Munster is the halfback in that team. He does most of the kicking and handles the ball far more often. Compare Munster with Moses and Hughes with Drown and suddenly you get a better idea of their superior quality. Reimis Smith isn't as good as Olam, but he is still outplaying both our centres this year. I agree Gutherson is as good as Papenhuyzen, but a very different player. He's nowhere near as quick. He's probably not even as quick as Nico Hynes.