What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telstra Premiership 2007 -- Round 1

lockyno1

Post Whore
You'd hope that Olympic will sellout that weekend, and if Souths-Rabbits can't get 30K, dead set. It is on a monday too so many neutral fans should go to that match!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
nqboy said:
Try and keep up Dodger/Dodge/Timmah/Just etc.../Who are you today?

I'll be cbboy before you know it ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
NRL Season to Kick Off in Queensland
Thursday, November 9, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Queensland will host the official launch of the NRL Premiership for the first time with a spectacular event planned for March 14 on the Gold Coast to welcome the Titans into the competition.

The focus on Queensland will continue into the opening round, with reigning premiers the Brisbane Broncos to officially kick-off the season with a match against the North Queensland Cowboys on Friday March 16.

Two days later the Gold Coast Titans will be welcomed into the competition with a blockbuster against the St George Illawarra Dragons; this match will also be at Suncorp Stadium.

The opening weekend of the Premiership will mark the beginning of the new scheduling format that sees two matches played on a Friday night and a Monday night fixture.

Grand Finalists Melbourne Storm will meet the Wests Tigers in the other round one Friday night game and the Sydney Roosters will host the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Aussie Stadium for the first game of Monday night football which will be launched live on Fox Sports.

In recognition of the game’s growing national focus Channel Nine will mark the occasion by broadcasting the Storm v Tigers match live into Melbourne and Sydney, and the Broncos v Cowboys match will be live into Queensland.

The Friday night ‘live’ games will also see radio broadcasts for the first time courtesy of 2GB, ABC and MMM will broadcast Monday night.

Full details for round one of the 2007 Telstra Premiership are outlined below with the complete draw to be released next week.

NRL Chief Executive Mr David Gallop and representatives from all three clubs were joined by Queensland Minister for Tourism, Fair trading, Wine Industry Development and Women, the Honourable Margaret Keech for the announcement at the Q1 building on the Gold Coast today.

“Today’s announcement pays tribute to the strengthening of the Premiership in Queensland,” Mr Gallop said.

“As reigning premiers it’s only appropriate that the Broncos should officially kick-off the season against the Cowboys who have emerged as not only a great Queensland rival but a Telstra premiership force.

“The much anticipated entry of the Titans into the competition is well worth celebrating at the season launch, one of the feature events of the NRL calendar.”

Queensland State Minister & Gold Coast MP Mrs Margaret Keech said the focus on Queensland was appropriate for such a League loving state.

“Queensland’s passion for Rugby League is unquestioned and I’m delighted to see that the NRL spotlight will be firmly focused on our achievements for the start of the 2007 season,” Mrs Keech said.

Broncos CEO Mr Bruno Cullen said the club is looking forward to the challenges that come with being title holders.

“We obviously had a terrific 2006 season and there’s a real focus from the team already, to repeat the effort in 2007,” Mr Cullen said.

“It’s a fair reflection on Queenslanders generally that the Broncos-Cowboys rivalry is fast becoming one of the best in Australian sport, so it’s going to be a wonderful way to start the season.”

The Cowboys meanwhile will use the match to make their intentions clear for the year ahead.

“We’re very determined to improve and be back in the finals next year and I can think of no better way to get the ball rolling than against the premiers at Suncorp Stadium,” said CEO Mr Peter Parr.

Newcomers, the Gold Coast Titans, are counting the days till they too can make their mark on the Queensland Rugby League landscape.

“We appreciate we’ve got some way to go but we’re here to make an impression and I think the season launch presents us with a great opportunity to let everyone know what we’re about,” Mr Searle said.

“Playing at Suncorp Stadium in round one of the 2007 Telstra Premiership is a terrific result for the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans and our many thousands of supporters who will now be able to attend and be a part of this historic occasion.

“To be drawn against a Club steeped in history like St George is a fantastic opportunity for the Jetstar Titans and a great chance for coach John Cartwright’s side to make a strong first up impression and show everyone what we’re about.”

Round One matches are as follows:

Friday 16 March, 2007

Broncos Vs Cowboys Suncorp Stadium 7.30pm (Ch9) (8.30pm Syd)

Storm Vs Wests Tigers Olympic Park 7.30pm (Ch9)

Saturday 17 March, 2007

Warriors Vs Eels Mt Smart Stadium 7.30pm (Fox Live) (5.30pm Syd)

Sea Eagles Vs Raiders Brookvale Oval 7.30pm (Fox Sports)

Sharks Vs Panthers Toyota Park 7.30pm (Fox Sports)

Sunday 18 March, 2007

Knights Vs Bulldogs Energy Aust Stadium 2.00pm (Fox Live)

Titans Vs Dragons Suncorp Stadium 3.00pm (Ch 9) (4pm Syd)

Monday 19 March, 2007

Roosters Vs Rabbitohs Aussie Stadium 7.00pm (Fox Live)

Source: NRL
http://svc002.wic109cx.server-web.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/3559/Default.aspx

tbone10

Juniors
Where Eagles Dare said:
I was saying that this time last year #-o
No complacency this time fellas!

Nah just tryin to get a rise from the gayder supporters.

and locky thank god we got rid of that liability. the warriors can keep him

tbone10

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
You'd hope that Olympic will sellout that weekend, and if Souths-Rabbits can't get 30K, dead set. It is on a monday too so many neutral fans should go to that match!
I thought Souths were playin the Roosters? :-k

tbone10 said:
Nah just tryin to get a rise from the gayder supporters.

and locky thank god we got rid of that liability. the warriors can keep him
In that case, Manly by 50.
Lyon to score 4 tries.
Beaver to show that pansy Tongue how to tackle and put a hit on that has him ruled out for the season.
;-)

Quidgybo

Bench
NRL.com said:
In recognition of the game’s growing national focus Channel Nine will mark the occasion by broadcasting the Storm v Tigers match live into Melbourne and Sydney, and the Broncos v Cowboys match will be live into Queensland.
Eddie! All is forgiven!

Leigh

Timmah

Staff member
:|

Just heard on the radio Gold Coast have been installed as favourites to beat Saints in Round 1. Source: Star 104.5 Central Coast NSW.

skeepe

Immortal
Has there been any confirmation that it will indeed be the Telstra Premiership next year? I thought naming rights were up for grabs?

Gibbo

Juniors
Just got back from the press conference on the GC at Q1. Was great, even managed to get my photo taken with David Gallop. I know quite often we are critical of Gallop on this forum but he is a very impressive speaker and a top bloke to boot, was more than happy to have a chat about the 07 season.

Unfortunately no inside scoops but it was a good event, reflected very well on the GC and the NRL in general i think.

skeepe

Immortal
As a side note, I'm sick of this NRL bias against the Raiders. This will be the 7th consecutive season where we have had round 1 away from home (or the bye).

Timmah

Staff member
skeepe said:
Has there been any confirmation that it will indeed be the Telstra Premiership next year? I thought naming rights were up for grabs?

It was announced that they're poised to sign the deal after nothing came of Mitsubishi. I don't think it's official yet but it's pretty sure of being that.

tbone10

Juniors
skeepe said:
As a side note, I'm sick of this NRL bias against the Raiders. This will be the 7th consecutive season where we have had round 1 away from home (or the bye).

build a bridge and get over it. no one would have gone if it was at Bruce anyway

skeepe

Immortal
tbone10 said:
build a bridge and get over it. no one would have gone if it was at Bruce anyway

Oh you know what you're right. The Raiders should never, ever have any home games and all their fans should give up now.

Pillock.

Latest posts