What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telstra Premiership Round 1 - Teams / Refs / Results

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Article on the "madness":

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21373119-23214,00.html

Campbell handed key Titans role

March 13, 2007

GOLD Coast utility Preston Campbell has won the contentious fullback role for the Titans' historic NRL season-opener with St George Illawarra at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

It was thought Campbell would come off the bench and rotate with hooker Clint Amos, but former Melbourne rake Nathan Friend could make a surprise comeback from a shoulder injury after being named in a 19-man squad this morning.

Former Penrith five-eighth Campbell has swapped between fullback and hooker during pre-season trial wins over Parramatta and Penrith.

He was locked in a battle for the No.1 jersey with former Queensland Origin flyer Chris Walker and England's Richie Mathers.

As expected, coach John Cartwright named Anthony Laffranchi in the team, despite the ex-Wests Tigers backrower being charged with sexually assaulting a woman in Sydney last year.

And, fresh from finalising a one-year deal with the Titans, Walker will play on the wing against the Dragons and is likely to be the team's No.1 goalkicker ahead of Campbell.

Internationals Mat Rogers and Jake Webster form the centres pairing.

Former Canberra prop Kris Kahler's excellent pre-season form has forced young gun Michael Henderson to the bench.

Rugby convert Josh Graham is another player to impress Cartwright, and is expected to claim the interchange utility role ahead of former Parramatta centre Brett Delaney.

"I have picked the side based on preparation and performance during our trial games," he said.

"However, with most players seeing only limited time on the field, there were certainly some very tough calls to be made.

"I have named a very strong team that I believe can get the job done for us on Sunday, and having a surplus of quality players to choose from isn't a bad problem to have from a coaching point of view."

AAP

Redback71

First Grade
im suprised by that titans line up as well, maybe there are some niggling injrys we are not aware of.

Timmah

Staff member
Eels to play Warriors:

1 – Luke Burt
2 – Jarryd Hayne
3 – Ben Smith
4 – Timana Tahu
5 – Joel Reddy
6 – Brett Finch
7 – Tim Smith
8 – Nathan Cayless ©
9 – Mark Riddell
10 – Fuifui Moimoi
11- Ian Hindmarsh
12 – Chad Robinson
13 – Daniel Wagon

14 – PJ Marsh
15 – Josh Cordoba
16 –Todd Lowrie
17 – Aaron Cannings

Coach - Michael Hagan

Big Mick

Referee
This would be mine:

1. Richie Mathers, 2. Jake Webster, 3. Mat Rogers, 4. Brett Delaney 5. Chris Walker, 6. Preston Campbell, 7. Scott Prince, 8. Luke Bailey, 9. Matt Hilder, 10. James Stosic, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Gavin Cooper, 13. Luke Swain
14. Michael Henderson, 15. Kris Kahler, 16. Brad Meyers, 17. Clint Amos

I dunno why Brad Meyers isn't in there...is he injured?

skeepe

Immortal
Timmah said:
Eels to play Warriors:

1 – Luke Burt
2 – Jarryd Hayne
3 – Ben Smith
4 – Timana Tahu
5 – Joel Reddy
6 – Brett Finch
7 – Tim Smith
8 – Nathan Cayless ©
9 – Mark Riddell
10 – Fuifui Moimoi
11- Ian Hindmarsh
12 – Chad Robinson
13 – Daniel Wagon

14 – PJ Marsh
15 – Josh Cordoba
16 –Todd Lowrie
17 – Aaron Cannings

Coach - Michael Hagan

Well, those Knights fans weren't wrong on Lowrie. What confuses me is you have a winger in Burt playing fullback, and two fullbacks in Hayne and Reddy on the wing? :crazy:

Timmah

Staff member
He's a good player and an even better bloke IIRC.

Big Mick

Referee
lockyno1 said:
He is rubbish anyway!:lol:

umm Mark Minichello anyone...or maybe you wanna do him as well? Like the other hacks you support...Nathan Hauritz and Shane Watson

lockyno1

Post Whore
Big Mick © said:
umm Mark Minichello anyone...or maybe you wanna do him as well? Like the other hacks you support...Nathan Hauritz and Shane Watson

Minichello is better than Meyers. there is a reason Brad Meyers was dropped from Brisbane. Minichello is very versatile, can play hooker, lock, 2nd row, and fill in in the centres if needed.

lockyno1

Post Whore
skeepe said:
Well, those Knights fans weren't wrong on Lowrie. What confuses me is you have a winger in Burt playing fullback, and two fullbacks in Hayne and Reddy on the wing? :crazy:

I agree on the fullbacks. I would have had Hayne at FB, Burt on the wing.

mxlegend99

Referee
What's wrong with Eric Grothe and Nathan Hindmarsh? Those two are pretty important players for the Eels. Nathan especially.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Grothe is suspended from the elbow he did in the final against Melbourne (back next week). Hidmarsh has arthritis in his ankle and is not availiable this week.

Brutus

Referee
Big Mick © said:
This would be mine:

1. Richie Mathers, 2. Jake Webster, 3. Mat Rogers, 4. Brett Delaney 5. Chris Walker, 6. Preston Campbell, 7. Scott Prince, 8. Luke Bailey, 9. Matt Hilder, 10. James Stosic, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Gavin Cooper, 13. Luke Swain
14. Michael Henderson, 15. Kris Kahler, 16. Brad Meyers, 17. Clint Amos

I dunno why Brad Meyers isn't in there...is he injured?

I think he suffers from the crapola syndrome. Hopeless.

Latest posts