What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telstra Stadium:It is not a football ground.

chunk

Juniors
I know this has been mentioned before but I can't really cop that place. It lacks atmosphere even when full and you need a pair of binoculars to see anything.

Whoever designed that place is an idiot.

Its obvious they built that place for the Olympics and forgot about everything else and the future.

It is not a football ground and now we have to put up with the joint for the next twenty years.

another sad thing is that it's built for AFL.

I reackon they should build another ground in the mould of Lang Park or Cardiff.

We shouldn't have to put up with that crap.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Strange when you think how atmospheric Wembley was and that was built 100 years ago! MAybe becasue Telstra is uded so much it has no "mystique" about it so a SOO/International is just another game at Telstra for the fans? Or maybe it is just poorly designed and you are miles from the action?

ash the bash

Juniors
If they could reduce the capacity and move the ends closer to the field it would help. I admit last night watching the screen a bit more when the ball was down the other end of field

Crusher

Coach
ash the bash said:
If they could reduce the capacity and move the ends closer to the field it would help. I admit last night watching the screen a bit more when the ball was down the other end of field

Its not the capacity IMO. I've been to soccer games in Milan and
Naples with similar crowds and similar sized stadiums. The atmosphere makes all the difference. Some Italian grounds also have tracks around them.

The other issue is we are a lot stricter on crowd activity than the Italians. They have flares trumpets and all sorts of stuff going on and I've on ocassion felt like I was in a war zone.

Bring on the flares:D

t-ba

Post Whore
chunk said:
I know this has been mentioned before but I can't really cop that place. It lacks atmosphere even when full and you need a pair of binoculars to see anything.

Whoever designed that place is an idiot.

Its obvious they built that place for the Olympics and forgot about everything else and the future.

It is not a football ground and now we have to put up with the joint for the next twenty years.

another sad thing is that it's built for AFL.

I reackon they should build another ground in the mould of Lang Park or Cardiff.

We shouldn't have to put up with that crap.

The Ground is actually a touch small for AFL, but regardless it does suit flogball better than the Rectangular Codes.

If you can cast your memory back to the time it got redeveloped just after the olympics, the reasons for this ridiculous situation become a bit more obvious. in late 2000 and 2001, most 'pundits' (even some doubting thomas' in the RL fraternity) had written RL off and assumed that the Swans and another AFL side in Sydney would be dominating our sporting landscape by the decades end. Thus, Stadium 'Oz was built to thier preference.

Optomism from the anti-RL establishment really...

*Cue Tin-foil hat wearing*

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If you went to the 2003, or 04, 05, 99, 00, 01, 02... you'd know it's one of the best grounds. It takes a big event, but it's worth it. Hell, even Bulldogs home games rock IMO.

perverse

Referee
been to 2 GF's there.. '00 - which was a snorefest.. no atmosphere.. no care.. and '01 - which had a pretty good atmosphere.

joshreading

Staff member
I have been there and love it, fair enough you can be a bit from the action but I found the atmosphere really good and could see really well. I actually think the SFS is over rated. Lang Park is the best in australia but it is realistically not just RL that they must cater to.

laurie

Juniors
only time there has been atmosphere at that ground is Cathy Freemans 400 run and the Soccerroos last year !! NOW hat was awsome...... it was better than bein at old trafford and ive ben to both...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
2003- the Hoodoo Gurus and then the game between Penrith and Sydney - electric. Absolutely electric. Even the '04 GF had great atmopshere.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
well this is the first time i went to telstra wen it was packed, and i was as faar back as u could get on the sides, and i thought it was ok, but the atmosphere wa less than what i expected tho

Stonecutter

First Grade
I remeber seeing a soccer match just after the olympics when it was 100,000 capacity. I sat right at the back of the northern stand (before remodeling occured) and I could see the action fine. But it still doesn't compare to seeing the action at Toyota park.

Enoughsaid

Juniors
the crowd makes the atmosphere

Dogs - tigers in round 2 this year
the 35k crowd got into the match and had a great atmosphere

the Aus-uruguay was the ultimate atmosphere, spine tingling stuff !!!

KFC

Juniors
Telstra Stadium is the worst venue in Australia in which to watch Rugby League.

In the few times I've been there regardless of the crowd size the atmosphere was ordinary and the view worse.

Suncorp Stadium would have to be the best followed by the SFS, Canberra and Parramatta Stadiums

Angry_eel

First Grade
Enoughsaid said:
the crowd makes the atmosphere

Exactly. Many people consider cricket to be a boring game but if you have been to a big cricket match in India the atmosphere is electric in even grounds with 25 - 30,000 capacity.

Latest posts