What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ten best full backs of the NRL era

98-now

Darren Lockyer
Billy Slater
Brett Stewart
Greg Inglis
Anthony Minichello
Karmichael Hunt
Ben Barba
David Peachey
Brett Hodgson
Rhys Wesser

AJB1102

First Grade
Had Anthony Minichiello not injured himself in Kangaroo Camp 2006 Karmichael Hunt wouldn’t have come into the squad. Hunt is then injured in 2008 opening the door for Billy Slater.

Does a fully fit Minichiello who was the Golden Boot winner in 2005 keep Hunt and Slater out of the Australian team for the next 5 years?

Hunt wouldn't have got a sniff and it would've taken Slater a bit longer.

Karmichael Hunt is a traitor to rugby league. He cannot be considered.

In any case Karmichael Hunt is also not talented enough to be considered in the list that I presented.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
But hunt ran really hard back at the line on kick returns......to get belted and dominated in the tackle so they couldn’t get a quick play the ball to start the set.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
Had Anthony Minichiello not injured himself in Kangaroo Camp 2006 Karmichael Hunt wouldn’t have come into the squad. Hunt is then injured in 2008 opening the door for Billy Slater.

Does a fully fit Minichiello who was the Golden Boot winner in 2005 keep Hunt and Slater out of the Australian team for the next 5 years?
Slater only got a run in the 2008 World Cup because Brett Stewart withdrew with a shoulder injury.

Tommy Smith

Referee
If you think a Rhys Wesser or Brett Hodgson is better than James Tedesco or Roger Tuivasa Sheck then I'd suggest that you're overly nostalgic.

They really aren't in the same league.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I would put Bowen and Boyd ahead of Wesser and Hodgson..
Tedesco would probably be up there now
Bowen and Boyd are a class above them both.

People are underrating Boyd; probably for likeability reaaons.

But he was crazy good at the Dragons, especially 2010; and had to ball play to cover for the Broncos autistic halves for years and did it amazingly well until injuries have slowed him down.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I’m not sure how Roger Tuivasa Shek even made it on the list.
Yeah he had one cracking season
Done f**k all since compared to the longevity of other fullbacks.
Only one cracking season?

His 2015 season was historically good.

Then he tore his ACL in 2016.

But as far as quality goes he is world's ahead of Hodgson or Wesser.

carcharias

Immortal
Only one cracking season?

His 2015 season was historically good.

Then he tore his ACL in 2016.

But as far as quality goes he is world's ahead of Hodgson or Wesser.

So that equals 1.

Slater played about 10
Years of better seasons.

Ey RTS was great that year though.
Dunno if that means he is top ten fullbacks of the NRL era.

So that equals 1.

Slater played about 10
Years of better seasons.

Ey RTS was great that year though.
Dunno if that means he is top ten fullbacks of the NRL era.

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has won the 2018 Dally M Player of the Year and Dally M Full Back of the Year!

What planet are you on?

Vic Mackey

Referee
If you think a Rhys Wesser or Brett Hodgson is better than James Tedesco or Roger Tuivasa Sheck then I'd suggest that you're overly nostalgic.

They really aren't in the same league.

I don’t doubt (injury permitting)Teddy will be better then those guys, and probably be the 2nd best on the list.

However I would argue that Wessers 2003 and Hodgson’s 2001 and 2005 were better years then Tedesco has ever had. I’ll happily post you out my 2005 highlights DVD if you would like a reference :wink:

Teddy’s best year IMO was 2016 where he was close to the best player in the comp. Don’t forget for the first 6-8 weeks of 2018 there were multiple Roosters fans saying they should have kept Gordon at fullback.

I don’t doubt (injury permitting)Teddy will be better then those guys, and probably be the 2nd best on the list.

However I would argue that Wessers 2003 and Hodgson’s 2001 and 2005 were better years then Tedesco has ever had. I’ll happily post you out my 2005 highlights DVD if you would like a reference :wink:

Teddy’s best year IMO was 2016 where he was close to the best player in the comp. Don’t forget for the first 6-8 weeks of 2018 there were multiple Roosters fans saying they should have kept Gordon at fullback.
Yeah Wesser's peak which was only 2 years 03-04 was up there but he was mostly shit the rest of his career

carcharias

Immortal

Wesser was amazing that year.
Albert wouldn’t know though
He was probably still in Europe somewhere

Latest posts