What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tendulkar is a bad sport: Gilly

hineyrulz

Post Whore
How hard is it to shake someones hand after a game FFS, In most sports Cricket,Footy or whatever you try your best to win. Sometimes it might go over the top, but what is wrong with shaking someones hand after a hard fought match???? Tendulkar has had people calling him a god for so long he must think he is one.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I'd say because it's not a contact sport.

Show me a contact sport (or anything approaching a contact sport) where there is sledging?

Manly made good use of the sledge this year. The markers would pretend to commentate Cooper Cronks actions when he was in attack. Apparently it was quite effective.

Also refer to Justin Hodges sledging Danny Buderus in last years Origin. Calling Buderus the number two hooker with Smith taking his spot.

badav

Bench
Tendulker may have been respected but all that changed last summer, why wont he shake hands, and why did he lie

But your theory of him being "universally respected" is a bit hypocritical, considering you accuse Gilly of being bias and its obviously your bias responsible for your opinion

I dont know about yourself, but i find it kind of funny that after the way the Aussies celebrated that win, that they could possibly accuse anyone of being a bad sport, and even more funny not being available for a handshake.

Correct me if im wrong, but 11 blokes certainly werent available for a handshake when the game finished. Remind me which team they were on?

badav

Bench
How hard is it to shake someones hand after a game FFS, In most sports Cricket,Footy or whatever you try your best to win. Sometimes it might go over the top, but what is wrong with shaking someones hand after a hard fought match???? Tendulkar has had people calling him a god for so long he must think he is one.

Howcome not one of the aussies bothered to shake hands with the batsman after the game finished then?? Because thats what usually happens after every other game. You cant forget to shake blokes hands on the field and then have a cry when they dont have the time of day for you in the dressing room. Seriously.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
It's strange to hear that kind of thing coming from Gilly...but then without having read the book I guess all the story really quotes is him saying that Tendulkar can be hard to find after a loss and that he was disappointed that he changed his story to defend Harbhajan. Neither of which are signs of bad sportsmanship on their own; I know I personally take losing hard in bloody club cricket so I can't imagine the disappointment of losing a Test match.

And even though Harbhajan is a merkin of the highest order...I'd expect Tendulkar (who may or may not have heard anything, I jump to no conclusions either way) to support his team mate's version of events just as much as I'd expect an Australian do it for his team mates...at the end of the day I've never seen any indications on the field or from any of his opponents that Tendy is a bad sport, so I'll not let this ambiguous book extract that's been beaten up by the media cloud my opinion of him.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Howcome not one of the aussies bothered to shake hands with the batsman after the game finished then?? Because thats what usually happens after every other game. You cant forget to shake blokes hands on the field and then have a cry when they dont have the time of day for you in the dressing room. Seriously.
Were you there were you??? You knew what went on after he Sydney test....... He is probably not talking about that one match. He played against him for nearly a decade, i think he made his observations from the whole time he played him.

badav

Bench
Were you there were you??? You knew what went on after he Sydney test....... He is probably not talking about that one match. He played against him for nearly a decade, i think he made his observations from the whole time he played him.

Where does he say he made his observations from the whole time he played him??

And by the way, i was at the Sydney test. The aussies did not shake the batsman's hands as they walked off the ground. How often does that happen?

ocko

juniors
INDIA'S Sachin Tendulkar said former Australian vice-captain Adam Gilchrist had phoned him yesterday to clarify his controversial comments about the batting great in a new book.
The World Cup-winning wicketkeeper-batsman said in his autobiography that Tendulkar was "hard to find for a changing room handshake after we have beaten India".
Gilchrist also questioned Tendulkar's honesty throughout the acrimonious Harbhajan Singh-Andrew Symonds incident during the Test series between the two cricketing powers in Australia last summer.
Australia claimed Harbhajan called Symonds a monkey during a match but an independent tribunal later cleared the India off-spinner.
But as tensions mounted over the book and ahead of the next Test, Tendulkar said Gilchrist had made contact to explain the comments.
"Gilchrist called me up and clarified this issue," he told Times Now newschannel in India's western Pune.
"He said his comments have been taken out of context," Tendulkar added, without elaborating further.
Gilchrist's comments sparked angry reaction from Indian cricket officials.
Former national selector Dilip Vengsarkar branded them a gimmick to sell more copies.
"It is very unfortunate that Gilchrist has made such comments," he told CNN-IBN newschannel.
"You get a lot of money to write a book in Australia and England. But you have to write something sensational to sell your book."
Indian board's media committee chairman Rajiv Shukla said: "If there is any person who will lose respect after this incident it is Gilchrist."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24547671-5001023,00.html

what will the rednecks do now? :D

ocko

juniors
The Aussie players need to realise that not everyone has the same toilet humour that they do. Particularly people from other cultures.

For the last decade Austalia have been the leaders of on-field sledging. Or 'mental disintegration' as one wannabee General Patton termed it.

But now that India are standing up and giving it back all we hear is an endless sea of cries from Australia. From Symonds the tell-tale to Gilly who cried about something the Paki wicketkeeper said in the 03 WC to this whinge and also Haydens cry to the umpire when Zaheer gave him a send-off.

Man up, Gaylords.

Never thought I'd hear so much sense from a pom, spot on! :D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
INDIA'S Sachin Tendulkar said former Australian vice-captain Adam Gilchrist had phoned him yesterday to clarify his controversial comments about the batting great in a new book.
The World Cup-winning wicketkeeper-batsman said in his autobiography that Tendulkar was "hard to find for a changing room handshake after we have beaten India".
Gilchrist also questioned Tendulkar's honesty throughout the acrimonious Harbhajan Singh-Andrew Symonds incident during the Test series between the two cricketing powers in Australia last summer.
Australia claimed Harbhajan called Symonds a monkey during a match but an independent tribunal later cleared the India off-spinner.
But as tensions mounted over the book and ahead of the next Test, Tendulkar said Gilchrist had made contact to explain the comments.
"Gilchrist called me up and clarified this issue," he told Times Now newschannel in India's western Pune.
"He said his comments have been taken out of context," Tendulkar added, without elaborating further.
Former national selector Dilip Vengsarkar branded them a gimmick to sell more copies.
"It is very unfortunate that Gilchrist has made such comments," he told CNN-IBN newschannel.
"You get a lot of money to write a book in Australia and England. But you have to write something sensational to sell your book."
Indian board's media committee chairman Rajiv Shukla said: "If there is any person who will lose respect after this incident it is Gilchrist."

thats exactly the response I expected from India

blame Gilly, bury their heads in the sand and pretend Tendulker did nothing wrong

they treat their cricketers like gods so in their eyes they can do no wrong

badav

Bench
thats exactly the response I expected from India

blame Gilly, bury their heads in the sand and pretend Tendulker did nothing wrong

they treat their cricketers like gods so in their eyes they can do no wrong

What sort of response were you expecting?

And you never anwered which 11 blokes werent available for a handshake after that game finished. Burying your head in the sand a bit?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

Doesn't change the fact that Tendulkar lied to get his mate off the hook for racial vilification.

What will the India sympathisers and idiot bandwagon jumping Aussie-bashers do now?

Quick find another popular media hyped cause to follow!

I know, we could divert the topic away again JJ style and start talking about the evils of Warne, Waugh and Hayden.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

And you never anwered which 11 blokes werent available for a handshake after that game finished. Burying your head in the sand a bit?

You mean the 11 blokes who shook hands in the change rooms? Those 11 blokes that found Tendulkar had gone missing?

And what of the little master lying about the "Monkey" incident? What's your take on that? Like diversions much?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

what the hell are you on about ?

did you even watch that game ?

Meth

Staff member
I think it is clear that Tendulkar is not the saint that India make him out to be. He has a few stains on his record.

However, he is one of the great competitors of international cricket, in the same way that Gilchrist is.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Where does he say he made his observations from the whole time he played him??

And by the way, i was at the Sydney test. The aussies did not shake the batsman's hands as they walked off the ground. How often does that happen?

After we have beaten India he said , i think that implies more than one game, and if you haven't forgotten we have beaten India quite a bit over the last decade.....

ozbash

Referee
ahhhh well....

Adam Gilchrist has rushed to smooth over his relationship with Sachin Tendulkar after the publication of excerpts from his forthcoming autobiography that appeared to criticise the Little Master.

After 24 hours of frenzied media reaction to Gilchrist's published claims that Tendulkar was often hard to find for a handshake after play, and that he helped to get Harbhajan Singh "off the hook" in the Monkeygate affair by changing his story, the former Australian 'keeper backtracked.
Gilchrist explained that his opinions in the book had been spun unfairly by the media.
He has spoken to Tendulkar to clarify his words, something the Indian batting great appreciated.
"The headlines arose from the manner in which some journalists interpreted a couple of points I have made in an about-to-be released autobiography," Gilchrist wrote in the Times of India today.
"In the book, I mention that a cultural difference between our team and that of the Indians was the importance of shaking hands with the opposition after a loss.
"It's simply my thoughts and from my experiences it seemed that this routine wasn't as important to some oppositions as it was in Australia, where it is drilled into us from an early age.
"I made the comment that Sachin and Harbhajan were sometimes not around to shake hands. Whether that is right or wrong is not my point.
"It was more the cultural differences I was trying to highlight, which it's fair to say, have been integral in most disputes or flare-ups between these two proud nations in the past."
Gilchrist defended his account of the Harbhajan Singh hearing by saying it was not in dispute that Tendulkar's version of events did change between the initial hearing at the SCG and the subsequent appeal at Adelaide's Federal Court building.
"With respect to the Harbhajan hearing, I obviously had to address it in the book as it was such a huge issue last summer and too big to ignore," Gilchrist said.
"My only real reference to it was to recall the way the events unfolded from the initial hearing, the night the match finished, through to the final judicial hearing a few weeks later.
"All I stated are the facts that everyone knows, that initially Sachin mentioned he wasn't sure what Harbhajan had said, then later confirmed his support when Harbhajan said he'd used a Hindi word in the heated exchange with Symonds.
"Nowhere do I accuse Sachin of lying."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4739598a1823.html

ozbash

Referee
go harbie...

Harnhajan Singh has claimed Indian players do not share the cricket world's respect for Adam Gilchrist after the former Australian wicketkeeper questioned the integrity of the nation's most revered player, Sachin Tendulkar.

Although Gilchrist's effigy is yet to be burned on the streets of Tendulkar's home city of Mumbai, passages about Tendulkar in the Australian's soon-to-be released autobiography were met with outrage on Indian television channels and by Harbhajan, one of the champion batsman's closest allies.
"He should not be talking about Sachin. It is all rubbish," the Indian off-spinner said. "We don't respect him. He pretends to be a saint and people say he walks when he nicks, but why did he appeal when batsmen don't nick? He always changes his mind according to a situation. If Australia is close to a victory, he is always going up [to appeal] whether it is out or not out. We don't need him to say these things just because he is retired."
Tendulkar was batting with Harbhajan when the Australians accused the spinner of having called Andrew Symonds a monkey. In his book, True Colours, an extract of which appears in today's Good Weekend, Gilchrist says Tendulkar changed his evidence between the initial hearing, where he testified that he could not hear what Harbhajan had said, and the appeal, where he claimed Harbhajan used a Hindi word that sounded like "monkey".
Yesterday, Harbhajan was unwilling to discuss the specifics of Tendulkar's evidence. "I don't want to talk about that episode again and again. It is over," he said "If you talk to any guy who plays or follows cricket about Sachin Tendulkar, they will talk about the respect he commands. These guys can't come close to him. I am really shocked."
Gilchrist is regarded not only as one of the game's greatest entertainers but also one of its fairest players, so his views about the "cultural difference" between the two teams' approach are sure to resonate during the intensely-fought battle for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.
"In the Australian mentality, we play it hard and are then quick to shake hands and leave it all on the field. Some of our opponents don't do it that way. Sachin Tendulkar, for instance, can be hard to find for a changing room handshake after we have beaten India. Harbhajan can also be hard to find," Gilchrist writes. "I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks."
Ironically, both Harbhajan and Matthew Hayden have said the relationship between the teams has been repaired since last summer's acrimony, and Harbhajan said he did not expect Gilchrist's comments to inflame tensions in the series. "We are very focused on cricket and on the next Test in Delhi. We know Australia will come back very strong. It has been a great series so far.
"There have been no dramas in the first two Tests. I hope the next two will be playing in the gentleman's spirit," said Harbhajan.
However, Zaheer Khan was fined 80 per cent of his match fee for giving Hayden a send-off in Mohali, where India thrashed Australia by 320 runs to take a 1-0 series lead.
Tendulkar is almost beyond reproach in India, where the batsman issued a rare, angry public statement when former coach Greg Chappell questioned the attitude of senior players following the side's disastrous 2007 World Cup campaign.
Chappell's predecessor, New Zealander John Wright, said he was surprised Tendulkar's sportsmanship had been questioned.
"During my time with the team, impeccable would be a word that comes to mind, said Wright, who coached India to a famous series victory in 2001 and to a series draw in Australia in 2003-04. You can talk about sportsmanship on the field but I saw the pressure of being Sachin Tendulkar in India and he had time for everyone.
"In the heat of battle, I have always thought that what happens on the field stays on the field. That seems to have changed a bit. I know Australia plays the game very hard and I hope India has gained a harder competitive edge from that. I think they have, and we are seeing the results in this series."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4739594a1823.html

Latest posts