What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

LatK7

First Grade
Davydenko's take on next gen. I completely agree. Maybe this year they'll learn how to play grass?

In my opinion, tennis is not making much progress. The players who are at the top now – not Nadal and Djokovic, but the younger generation –are not that good technically. I got surprised by that. It’s more physical – big serves, hitting hard–, but we still see that Nadal and Djokovic can control all this power over the new generation. They are still winning Slams and beating guys who are ten years younger than them, which is amazing. Anyway, I do not feel that the new generation is playing on an unbelievable level.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Davydenko's take on next gen. I completely agree. Maybe this year they'll learn how to play grass?

In my opinion, tennis is not making much progress. The players who are at the top now – not Nadal and Djokovic, but the younger generation –are not that good technically. I got surprised by that. It’s more physical – big serves, hitting hard–, but we still see that Nadal and Djokovic can control all this power over the new generation. They are still winning Slams and beating guys who are ten years younger than them, which is amazing. Anyway, I do not feel that the new generation is playing on an unbelievable level.
Keep making thise excuses for Fed.. the 3rd maybe 4th best ever

LatK7

First Grade
Keep making thise excuses for Fed.. the 3rd maybe 4th best ever

nothing to do with Federer, but something needs to change with coaching these guys. They haven’t progressed nearly as well as they should’ve. Davydenko is right and Kec’s coach Nalbandian inferred something similar earlier in the year. Big opportunity for an actual great player if one can arrive. Alcaraz looks the most obvious but the next season or two will be interesting.

Valheru

Coach
Nick through to the QF and the media meltdown is delicious. That imbecile that went at him in the presser about red shoes needs to have a good hard look at himself.

Tim Henman might have produced the worst commentating performance in the history of sports. He absolutely death rode Nick at every opportunity.

He has to go in to the QF as favourite as well.

It's a shame about Alex, he had match points in the 3rd. It was a real big choke job actually.

LatK7

First Grade
It was a real big choke job actually.

Garin did a good job to save MPs, but Alex really fell apart quickly after that. A real shame.

I'm happy for Nick. It was a banana skin match with all the drama and a stoic journeyman who was dialed in the whole time. Garin is a very winnable match...a solid clay court player in the business end of Wimbledon. Nick couldn't ask for anything better.

Nick/Nadal would give the tournament a real SF...Garin/Nadal would be a bit of a joke, particularly on grass. I feel really bad for the guys who couldn't compete or were knocked out with covid, pretty much all the main contenders outside of Nadal/Djokovic. Never would've expected Norrie, Garin, Kubler, Goffin, Zandschulp, etc to make up the short list. Fritz may have done well regardless, nice to see him improving a bit.

Apey

Staff member
Pretty disappointing how Alex choked in that tiebreak. Would have liked to have seen an all Aussie quarter.

Apey

Staff member
Sinner destroying Djokovic atm but I still feel like this will be a classic Novak 5 set win. Sinner about to go up 2 - 0 sets. If Sinner does goes on with this the draw is wide open.

Kyrgios vs Nadal would be a good semi. Kyrgios would probably win that on form and given it's Nadal's weakest surface. A semi final appearance would be a win for Nadal anyway after not having played on grass for 3 years.

LatK7

First Grade
Disappointing collapse from Sinner who didn’t manage the lead well at all. Djokovic lifted serve % nicely and the rest of his game came together. Very reminiscent of the Musetti and Tsitsipas capitulation last year at the French.

Apey

Staff member
The younger guys are hopeless front runners against Djokovic and even Nadal.

Wizardman

First Grade
Big Dick Nick!!!! Nadal will be shitting himself
I gotta say....the dominoes are falling for Kyrgios this tournament. He has had a relatively very easy draw, Tispitas is known for his struggles on grass and did not have to play against a fellow aussie mate in Diminuar. Now, he gets to play a Nadal that has some stomach and foot issues.

It is no insult on Nick but he is getting a touch of luck with the draw.

Valheru

Coach
Great stuff by Nick.

His post match interview and press conference was compelling viewing as well. Basically said he never thought he would be in this position and he thought his boat had sailed. On the legal issue he said he wants to tell his side but has been advised by lawyers to not talk for now. Also said that he would never have a coach because he "wouldn't put that burden on anybody" lol

The moron that thought it was appropriate to ask poor Ajla Tomljanovic a question about the case in her post match presser needs to be sacked.

LatK7

First Grade
he is getting a touch of luck with the draw.

They all are. The list of players who couldn't play or exited in 1R with covid/upsets is wild. Week 2 is is full of players who'd never usually be in the conversation. The big boys make the most of that though, Nick's doing well.

Whatever physical issue Nadal is struggling with this time is irrelevant. He's been in average form and struggling with injury all year, but no one has had the game or head to beat him. Nick will have to lift a gear. Hopefully he brings his best tennis.

Fritz tried very hard today, but there's flaws in his game Nadal exploited easily enough. Mind blowing the amount of short balls he didn't come in on and put away...but that's the same for all the young guys. They don't know do to play inside the baseline. Nadal's fight is awesome to watch, he'll fight like an animal against Nick.

Apey

Staff member
Hopefully Nadal is fit for the semi. Would be a good matchup if so. Unless Kyrgios explodes mentally I'd have him as favourite. The flipside of Nadal losing is I'd been pretty keen to see a Djokovic vs Kyrgios Grand Slam match, they've completely avoided each other in Grand Slams, let alone a final.

Fritz really shouldn't have lost that match but then again he shouldn't have lost to Djokovic in last year's Australian Open in a near identical situation. Players 10 years younger than Djokovic and Nadal still have so much trouble beating them in BO5s. Crazy.

Latest posts