What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible news, Lance Thompson passes away overnight

getsmarty

Immortal
Thanks Smarty, enjoyed and saddened in reading the article.

Reading and listening to Piggy Riddell, Matty Cooper, Trent Barrett and others speak of their respect and love for Thomo is heart wrenching, sad and wonderful all at the same time.

"We knew Thomo had our backs on and off the field" says it all.

Loyal friend, gladiator.

I sit here imagining Thomo and James Graham together in our pack today.

RIP champion.

Yep..this is shattering news...All the blokes who played with Thommo will be gutted...Gone far too young...

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons out to honour Thompson
Dragons Den
r0_0_2972_1922_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOO SOON: The Dragons will look to honour club great Lance Thompson, who was tragically found dead in Caringbah unit on Friday morning, when they play the Bulldogs on Sunday. Picture: Tim Clayton

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor says his side will be looking to "do it for Thommo” on Sunday, as the club continues to reel from the shock death of club stalwart Lance Thompson.

Thompson was found dead in his Caringbah unit in the early hours of Friday's morning, with the cause of death yet to be determined.

The flame-haired workhorse earned a cult following among the red v faithful, racking up 201 games for the club over 10 seasons, three of them alongside McGregor after the Dragons and Steelers formed the St George Illawarra joint-venture ahead of the 1999 season.

Speaking on Saturday morning ahead of his side's clash with Canterbury on Sunday, an emotional McGregor admitted that he was still coming to terms with the loss of his good mate at just 40 years of age.

“It's been a tough 36 hours, I found out pretty early,” McGregor said.

“We only shared texts on Sunday. [They're] tragic circumstances. Big T was a good man, one of the most committed players I've seen take the football field.

“He was a strong character, he played with passion and purpose. We'll go out tomorrow and play for Thommo because the red v meant so much to him and we need to honour that.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5606843/dragons-out-to-honour-thompson/?cs=3713

red rocket

Juniors
Dragons out to honour Thompson
Dragons Den
r0_0_2972_1922_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOO SOON: The Dragons will look to honour club great Lance Thompson, who was tragically found dead in Caringbah unit on Friday morning, when they play the Bulldogs on Sunday. Picture: Tim Clayton

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor says his side will be looking to "do it for Thommo” on Sunday, as the club continues to reel from the shock death of club stalwart Lance Thompson.

Thompson was found dead in his Caringbah unit in the early hours of Friday's morning, with the cause of death yet to be determined.

The flame-haired workhorse earned a cult following among the red v faithful, racking up 201 games for the club over 10 seasons, three of them alongside McGregor after the Dragons and Steelers formed the St George Illawarra joint-venture ahead of the 1999 season.

Speaking on Saturday morning ahead of his side's clash with Canterbury on Sunday, an emotional McGregor admitted that he was still coming to terms with the loss of his good mate at just 40 years of age.

“It's been a tough 36 hours, I found out pretty early,” McGregor said.

“We only shared texts on Sunday. [They're] tragic circumstances. Big T was a good man, one of the most committed players I've seen take the football field.

“He was a strong character, he played with passion and purpose. We'll go out tomorrow and play for Thommo because the red v meant so much to him and we need to honour that.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5606843/dragons-out-to-honour-thompson/?cs=3713
From now on when saints and the sharks play they should play for a shield named in honor of lance rest in peace champion gone but never forgotten

This thread has been a nice read. it's wonderful that our two clubs can speak highly of Thommo with the respect to each other, and his influence on both players and fans alike.
In regards to games between our two clubs and a trophy etc, as previously stated we already play for the Monty cup, also we play Manly for the Sludge cup.
My proposal is for the Sludge/Thommo Shield. Taken over both our games each season including a for and against.
In any case it would be great to do something.
Edit: Sludge was the one who wanted, and signed, Thommo for the Sharks.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
This thread has been a nice read. it's wonderful that our two clubs can speak highly of Thommo with the respect to each other, and his influence on both players and fans alike.
In regards to games between our two clubs and a trophy etc, as previously stated we already play for the Monty cup, also we play Manly for the Sludge cup.
My proposal is for the Sludge/Thommo Shield. Taken over both our games each season including a for and against.
I didn't know sludge played for Manly

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Not sure how the great Steve Sludge Rogers would react to such an idea. After all, he once said that the two-years at Saints were the worst two in his long career.

This Year?

Immortal
I think it's a great idea. If it can't be done for 1st grade then at least for u20's. He helped so many young players get to grade for both clubs. I think it would honour him well and inspire many young players in the game.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
He didn't mean as in hating the club, he meant his playing career which was well and truly past his best when at Saints.

I’m not certain about that. His son, Mat, loves relaying that story at every opportunity. Besides, Rogers returned to Cronulla in 1985, so he must have thought he still had some gas in the tank.

All my thoughts about how much Lance Thompson was loved by all dragons fans has been spoken of in spades. I'll admit I had a bit of a moment when I heard the news...

The 90's and early 2000's were a time when I spent most of my winter weekends on the hill at Kogarah in a Red V Jersey amongst the chorus of saints fans... Lance was an absolute engine - always our favourite and always will be..

This bloke has meant so much to so many - and not just Dragons fans. Sharks fans and league fans in general..

I'll be back on the hill tomorrow for the dogs game. And Like many I'll be cheering my lungs out for the Dragons but with thoughts of Thommo in my heart and mind.

Rest In Peace.

pinkmoon

Juniors
Anyone know why Brownie pushed Lance out of Saints back in the day?

If they were good mates and had history playing together, it seems strange. I also remember there was something about the players being told not to attend a presentation evening for Lance or was it Lance was asked not to attend a presentation? cannot remember.

Anyway, RIP Lance, you had the respect of the entire RL community.

Anyone know why Brownie pushed Lance out of Saints back in the day?

If they were good mates and had history playing together, it seems strange. I also remember there was something about the players being told not to attend a presentation evening for Lance or was it Lance was asked not to attend a presentation? cannot remember.

Anyway, RIP Lance, you had the respect of the entire RL community.
I have heard disturbing rumours about Lances behaviour before he left the Dragons.
Out of respect that's all I'm saying.