What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ‘Anything and Everything’ Thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah nah,

I have never had an add blocker so I thought it might be integrated with the browser but NO.. its happening on my phone as well, at the same time, not the same browser.

If you don't have one on one of your devices then it wouldn't be showing up. We can see who is using an ad blocker.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Thinking you must have a feature that alerts you when the word “ad blocker” comes up. Otherwise you’d be a busy boy/girl. For what it’s worth the ads don’t bother me and be f**ked if I’d know how to block them even if I wanted to.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Thinking you must have a feature that alerts you when the word “ad blocker” comes up. Otherwise you’d be a busy boy/girl. For what it’s worth the ads don’t bother me and be f**ked if I’d know how to block them even if I wanted to.
Thats the thing, neither do I so somehow the browser on my Lappie and the App on the phone added an ad blocker at the same time. Mysteriously.

DJDL

Bench
Thats the thing, neither do I so somehow the browser on my Lappie and the App on the phone added an ad blocker at the same time. Mysteriously.

Are you using a VPN? Some of them have built-in ad-blockers.
I use one and have noticed on the NRL site I get ad-blocker warnings when trying to watch videos, despite having whitelisted the site.
Turn off the VPN, refresh the page, and voila!

coolumsharkie

Referee
Are you using a VPN? Some of them have built-in ad-blockers.
I use one and have noticed on the NRL site I get ad-blocker warnings when trying to watch videos, despite having whitelisted the site.
Turn off the VPN, refresh the page, and voila!
Nope, I'm trying to work it out but it's not a VPN

DJDL

Bench
that's exactly right, if you have LU whitelisted on your normal device and you occasionally log in on your phone or another device, for example, it still treats you as an ad blocker and you lose certain privileges, the like button is only one that has been picked up on here

once LU is whitelisted on all devices there is a time delay on when the privileges are restored

edit: and just ftr, some people log in and then whitelist LU after they log in, hence the time delay in retoring privileges. LU needs to be whitelisted prior to logging in.

So there is a list of known devices for each user and if one of those known devices uses an ad-blocker then the user loses privileges?

If that's the case, what if someone like @coolumsharkie had ad-blocker on their old device, but traded up to a new one which doesn't?
Are they marked forever and a day as an ad-blocker?

Maybe a better check would just be some javascript for the device which is currently viewing the site.
Something like:

JavaScript:
(function() {
    'use strict';
    window.canRunAds &&  !window.isAdBlockActive 
       ? user.privileges = true
       : user.privileges = false :
})();

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So there is a list of known devices for each user and if one of those known devices uses an ad-blocker then the user loses privileges?

No, no list.

If you log in on any device with an ad blocker that doesn't whitelist LU, then you are deemed an ad blocker.

It's not hard to whitelist LU or any other site for that matter if the ad blocker is inbuilt.

TooheysNew

Coach

If that's the case, what if someone like @coolumsharkie had ad-blocker on their old device, but traded up to a new one which doesn't?
Are they marked forever and a day as an ad-blocker?

Maybe a better check would just be some javascript for the device which is currently viewing the site.
Something like:

JavaScript:
(function() {
    'use strict';
    window.canRunAds &&  !window.isAdBlockActive
       ? user.privileges = true
       : user.privileges = false :
})();

No list. The length of the denial of permissions is based on the number of times the ad blocker has been detected and undetected. If you use multiple devices and one has an adblocker enabled, this is likely to be a long period.

Thanks for the advice, but that's exactly the kind of simplisitic "solution" we're avoiding. All that does is encourage people to toggle their adblocker to access the content they want, and effectively get around having ads on all the time.

Admin can clear out the wait time if need be, but only if all devices have ads unblocked.

@coolumsharkie, whatever device you were using 15 minutes before the timestamp on this post is what's causing it. It could be a browser plugin, something built in to your device, or a VPN.

DJDL

Bench
No list. The length of the denial of permissions is based on the number of times the ad blocker has been detected and undetected. If you use multiple devices and one has an adblocker enabled, this is likely to be a long period.

Thanks for the advice, but that's exactly the kind of simplisitic "solution" we're avoiding. All that does is encourage people to toggle their adblocker to access the content they want, and effectively get around having ads on all the time.

Admin can clear out the wait time if need be, but only if all devices have ads unblocked.

@coolumsharkie, whatever device you were using 15 minutes before the timestamp on this post is what's causing it. It could be a browser plugin, something built in to your device, or a VPN.

Fair enough, but what about in the instance of someone who has a mobile, and a desktop/laptop.

The site is, to me, unusable on mobile with ads enabled but tolerable on desktop/laptop.

So if a user spends a similar amount of time on the site using either device, but only has ads disabled for mobile, then functionality is withheld regardless of which device is being used.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So Little Miss Angry walks into my study...

Father you suck! Slight pause

But I do love you very much.

Then walks out..............

I still have no idea what she was on about or what it meant.

WFT

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well asked for clarification, I suck because apparently I am all judging on her and her hubby.

She loves me anyway because I always have back and would bury his body if she killed him cause he hurt her.

Turns out I did something right.

FTR, the boy is a pacifist, but she knows.

I reckon she could take him anyway.

I love that child so much...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The worst part is, I occasionally find myself sticking up for him.

She has a sad to me about him and sometimes I am like, let him be a man, he ain't cheating, blokes need to breathe alone sometimes.

We talk a lot, I reckon that is the love part, and the you suck part, when she does not want to hear it.

FTR, she knows how to put me in my place, has done for 30 odd years.

Wasn't that long ago South Africa were a tough team to play against, what the hell has happened? On par with the west indies sadly these days, would look forward to battling against both those sides in the past.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Between the lack of competitors and the dead set circus of some of our players in the media, it has become a bore.
The only thing worth hanging in for is the ashes - which is a long wait.
Channel 7 coverage is lame ass as well.
I guess I’m getting old

I've got right back into it the last year or so. There's a few players i really like such as Smith, Marnus, Head, Carey, Boland and Starc but cannot stand Warner or Lyon.

Reactions: PJ

DJDL

Bench
Wasn't that long ago South Africa were a tough team to play against, what the hell has happened? On par with the west indies sadly these days, would look forward to battling against both those sides in the past.

I dunno about batting against the South African pace attack - there’s some absolute express in there.
But I’d fancy my chances of bagging a few wickets with my Terry Alderman-style outswingers.