What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2007 Best Backline Debate

Mr Saab

Referee
Immortal said:
Hardly just a fill in player... in 2005 when we were seemingly unstopple he was the 5/8th, & a damn good one too.

Perhaps... but Hunt was never given that opportunity was he.

Hornby has played a few games at halfback for Dragons & we won all those games, & I know I'd rather Hornby under the high balls rather than any fullback in the league.

Ummmm try halfback....Barrett was your 5/8 that yr. Head was gone.
I would rather Hunt than other other fullback for bombs.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Mr Saab said:
Ummmm try halfback....Barrett was your 5/8 that yr. Head was gone.
I would rather Hunt than other other fullback for bombs.

On paper... But the way I see it Barrett has always been the halfback, that 6 on his back didn't mean squat.

Mr Saab

Referee
Fair enough.
Lets see what the dragons do with a :

6. Gaz
7. Head/Hornby

Only one kicker in the team and i cant see great passing movements involving Gaz...i mean 10m flick passes? no.

Charlie124

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
Fair enough.

6. Gaz
7. Head/Hornby

Only one kicker in the team and i cant see great passing movements involving Gaz...i mean 10m flick passes? no.

what about a "shimmy" 7m and a 3m flick pass?

Jono078

Referee
Dragon_psa said:
Agree with Balmain_Boy. Melbournes backline is up there too though. Newcastles isn't half bad either.

Sounds good to hear another supporter say that. I dont think much of our backline for this year, but I cant tell what it'll produce.

1. Thaiday
2. MacDougall
3. Gidley
4. Tighe
5. Seage/Polglase/Franze/Uate
6. Mullen
7. Johns

God-King Dean

Immortal
Mr Saab said:
Fair enough.

6. Gaz
7. Head/Hornby

It called learning... people seem to forget that.

Mr Saab

Referee
Tough to learn...especially with Gaz.
Not like he was graded as a 5/8 like Lockyer was way back in 1995.

However, i will not judge unti at least 10 weeks into the comp.

_Johnsy

Referee
IMO Wes is a natural fullback. Have both morris boys on the wing (pup could interchange between the wing/centre)

Back on topic, a few others, will - not as much expectation in 2007.

Wont - we are st.george illawarra :)

icewind

Juniors
Immortal said:
When Hunt plays fullback, halfback, 5/8th & lock... then I'll prolly agree.

by that reasoning, hornby is better than guys like brasher, belcher, minichiello, cos they only play fullback.

Roosters_187

Juniors
Melbourne easily with the best backline. Interesting to see what gaz can do needs to develop a kicking game pronto if not I feel sorry for hornby. Regarding hunt the real test would be to see him without locky there. I personally feel hunt is over rated and locky makes him look so much better than he really is i.e perry.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
I'd have the broncos backline over any other backline in the comp not just because of the skills, but the players that have a lot of rep experience. I'd have the storms before the dragons though IMO...

McCrud

Juniors
How Dragons fans think they can convince Broncos fans that Hornby is a better player then Hunt is beyond me. Similarly.................No, I can't, I'm not going to reverse the argument thankyou very much.

_Johnsy

Referee
Le KooK said:
How Dragons fans think they can convince Broncos fans that Hornby is a better player then Hunt is beyond me.

That's a bit of a stretch, one person, yet you lump dragons fan in to that same basket. Dare I say it the QLD mentality strikes again :lol:

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
Le KooK said:
How Dragons fans think they can convince Broncos fans that Hornby is a better player then Hunt is beyond me. Similarly.................No, I can't, I'm not going to reverse the argument thankyou very much.

Why bother... Just ignore them just like you would to Jehova's witnesses. :)

Kiwi

First Grade
Immortal said:
When Hunt plays fullback, halfback, 5/8th & lock... then I'll prolly agree.

I guess being able to play more positions makes someone a better player than someone who plays one. Guess that makes Shaun Berrigan better than hornby.

Mr Saab

Referee
Roosters_187 said:
I personally feel hunt is over rated and locky makes him look so much better than he really is i.e perry.

Welcome to your opinion, but be aware that when Hunt went down with a foot injury vs the Dragons the Broncos and Lockyer struggled somewhat.
When he came back he struck up his combo with Lockyer and..well...the rest is history.
I am not entirely saying that if Hunt isnt there the Broncos dont win the comp, but they would have struggled. Dont underestimate what Hunt brings to that team.

When he came back he struck up his combo with Lockyer and..well...the rest is history

Was that the combo in the final against the dogs when he was fullback for the 1st half & the score was Dogs 19 v Broncos 0.... Then Hodges was put at fullback in the 2nd half & they scored 37 unanswered pts.
You can thank one person for sparking the broncos that night & it wasn't Hunt

Dont underestimate what Hunt brings to that team.

I think bronco fans over estimate what Hunt brings to their team..

miccle

Bench
I don't think so. How many games did we lose while Hunt was injured?

Honestly regardless of where he plays - I think he adds HEAPS. Sure we won that Dogs game after Hunt was moved from fullback... he was moved so he could get more involved FFS!

I don't really care what people think of him, because I am a fan of his and he brings a lot to my team. That's all that matters imo.

miccle said:
Sure we won that Dogs game after Hunt was moved from fullback... he was moved so he could get more involved FFS!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeh sure.. shifted to the wing ...to get involved ....he was shifted because playing at fullback he does not have the individual brilliance to create anything himself... hodges stepped up & showed how much an attacking fullback is worth