What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2014 "Pass Mark"

BennyV

Referee
So we have one of the last pieces of the puzzle in a half. Even without a big name prop, we still have a very formidable team for next year. Everyone has their own different line-ups and opinions on players, so I may as well post mine for arguments sake
1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Runciman/Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Williams
8. Merrin
9. King/Rein
10. Stockwell
11. Thompson
12. Harrison
13. Creagh

14. Rein/King
15. deBelin
16. Frizzel
17. XXX (one other prop, else Cooper/Hunt)

Plus we've got a decent amount of depth in key positions. HOWEVER, for me the issue that still stands out is the man to bring it all together, Luna Price. Outside of speculation and hoping, there is a chance that he will be here next year, at the very least to start the season.

So the question is: What is classed as a 'pass' for Price next year? Does he have to be in the Top 8? Top 4? Or are you looking for something more qualitative, like an entertaining brand of footy and average of 3+ tries a game? For me, anything outside of the Top 8 finish is a failure with that team, and Top 4 would not be overachieving for a decent coach, but what does everything else think?

Mr Red

First Grade
i dont agree we have depth in key positions, especially in the halves.. in saying that however given how the salary cap is spent not many clubs do have a lot of depth in key positions..
i like the look of your starting team except for Harrison. i think i would have Frizzell in there instead. i agree with the move of Merrin back to prop rotation and Creagh into the middle of the field at lock..

and yes its the million dollar question - can the team perform with Price at the helm?? Or will there be more scapegoats to follow..

Smurf

Juniors
That's a very exciting team
My thoughts
Top 6 and play entertaining rugby league - remember Brown Mundine and Nathan B
Also we need to bring back a solid brick wall defence
I also firmly believe we need to start afresh - and that means no Price
Walters or Sheens or Smith for me

Elias1983

Coach
IMO

Miss the finals = Sack.

Top 6- 8 = I'd still be looking for another coach, If nothing then take out that year extra.

Anything above 5th or above = He's earnt one more season.

Smurf

Juniors
2014 is looking good
Just need
# one mongrel forward
# j moz
# new coach
If Doust can do all that this year I will be very excited
Then I can finally put 2013 down to a bad ( very bad ) dream

willzy91

Juniors
1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Runciman/Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Williams
8. Merrin
9. King/Rein
10. Stockwell
11. Thompson
12. Harrison
13. Creagh

14. Rein/King
15. deBelin
16. Frizzel
17. XXX (one other prop, else Cooper/Hunt)

I dont mind the look of this young dragons team, but i have to disagree with putting creagh in at lock. If you watch creagh through each game, he doest have the strongest defensive game dropping off too many tackles to be considered as a lock. I would be looking to have DeBelin in at lock, creagh back into the backrow. Drop Harrison out of the 17 and bring Cooper onto the bench so you have two props (one being the X-factor prop we seek).

Saint Anger

Juniors
2014 is looking good
Just need
# one mongrel forward
# j moz
# new coach

If Doust can do all that this year I will be very excited
Then I can finally put 2013 down to a bad ( very bad ) dream

I agree 100% with the bold.

Really missing a hard nut who hurts the opposition and bends the line.

Mr Red

First Grade
I dont mind the look of this young dragons team, but i have to disagree with putting creagh in at lock. If you watch creagh through each game, he doest have the strongest defensive game dropping off too many tackles to be considered as a lock. I would be looking to have DeBelin in at lock, creagh back into the backrow. Drop Harrison out of the 17 and bring Cooper onto the bench so you have two props (one being the X-factor prop we seek).

the reason IMO Creagh is dropping off tackles is because he is defending out wide and not in the middle. He has lost a bit of the speed and mobility a good running back rower needs and this means he is often caught short in defence, putting him in the middle will mean the loss of speed/agility wont be a big issue.

Saint Anger

Juniors
De Belin, Frizzell, Thompson, Stockwell ....... any money you mention Smith and Costigan in reply

With Weyman presumably leaving, and Hunt masquerading as a first grader, we need another prop imo. Stockwell and JDB are potentially key men in the front row, but would like us to recruit an experienced hard man as well.

...to me, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is the brand of footy we play. If we don't see some semblance of a structure to our play, discipline and/or a game plan being executed on the field, well then I will be a very sad person.

Having said that, on paper it looks like a top 5 side. Scraping in at 7th or 8th is nothing to be proud of.

Top 6 Minimum.

dragondonar1

Juniors
I think with new halves pairing, its going to take time for the side to gel as a team so I'm thinking about top 8 finish but challenging the top sides in a real contest.

FlameThrower

Bench
I think with new halves pairing, its going to take time for the side to gel as a team so I'm thinking about top 8 finish but challenging the top sides in a real contest.

Jezzzzz midway thru 2013 and already counting the chickens on top 8 finish in 2014 !!!!
no wonder we stress ourselves out no end!

Meanwhile a small fact about which coach will be checking his clipboard next year seems to be have been overlooked......

BennyV

Referee
Jezzzzz midway thru 2013 and already counting the chickens on top 8 finish in 2014 !!!!
no wonder we stress ourselves out no end!

Meanwhile a small fact about which coach will be checking his clipboard next year seems to be have been overlooked......

Not overlooked at all, it's been mentioned several times...

bottle

Coach
The roster is improved, but it is not a top 4 side.

Look at the current top 4 -
Souths - probably the rightful SoO halves pairing, Isaac Luke, big effective forwards, and a bloke named Inglis.
Easts - current SoO halves pairing, Jennings in form, big mobile pack.
Melbourne - big 3, nuff said.
Manly - Next best Qld halfback accompanied by Foran, Lyon and Matai, good centre pairing creating opportunities on the edges, throw in the Stewarts for good measure.

We don't match that yet. Top 8 is essential though.

Minh

First Grade
Yes it's good to put it into perspective and next year with a good coach we won't get belted too often I hope.