What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "3P Get Together" Thread

What dates suits?

• Friday 23rd January 7pm

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Saturday 31st January 12pm

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Sunday 18th January 12pm

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Whatever day Ron can't make it.

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters

Stagger eel

Staff member
you missed the point, people on here were saying he should get re elected because of his passion and was a nice bloke, that isn't enough.

Absolute f**king rubbish...

I know atleast half a dozen people who would of voted him a year ago and decided not to in the football club AGM..

maybe you should pay more attention to the opinions of certain people.

parra pete

Referee
Alan,

Thank you for the very generous offer above. Very highly appreciated. It is a fantastic offer on your behalf and I would love to say Yes, unfortunately, I do not believe it is the right thing to do on my behalf. I've thought about it for a couple of days now. I was originally going to ring you and thank you and say no, but I thought I'd just drop you a line here. Its your watch and you should give it to one of your grandkids. If you want to give it to someone online, I'd give it to Parra Pete. Everyone on these forums are fanatical and it is hard to pinpoint one person over another, but I believe that Pete would cherish it more than anyone possibly ever could. Please do not think I am being ungrateful, because I do not wish for it to come across that way. Again, thank you very much and no doubt we will catch up in the near future.

Regards,

Col.

Thanks for your kind words Colin, and thanks for the thought.
I was just joking. I agree with you, Alan should give it to his grandkids...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Absolute f**king rubbish...

I know atleast half a dozen people who would of voted him a year ago and decided not to in the football club AGM..

maybe you should pay more attention to the opinions of certain people.

Stagger, i just remember what alot of people were saying on here before the elections, and many pointed out because he was passionate, nice and went out of his way for the fans-all good traits but we needed more, that's all i'm saying.

spiderdan

Bench
Stagger, i just remember what alot of people were saying on here before the elections, and many pointed out because he was passionate, nice and went out of his way for the fans-all good traits but we needed more, that's all i'm saying.
it is a good quality to have but i can see your point of view. regardless, i think that whether he is on the board or not, alan should be involved with the future direction of the club mailnly because of the rapport he has built with supporters.

Stagger eel

Staff member

well that part of is true, but when it came down to the nitty gritty was he ellected????

strider

Post Whore
the boards have 7 ppl sitting on them - i think the qualities he brings and the experience he has would still be very handy if he was one of those 7 ..... imo - some others providing new ideas, enthusiasm and viewpoints there with him would make for a good improvement

Stagger eel

Staff member
it is a good quality to have but i can see your point of view. regardless, i think that whether he is on the board or not, alan should be involved with the future direction of the club mailnly because of the rapport he has built with supporters.

i think Ron would be surprised at the sort of people that still want Alan involved at the club...

Stagger eel

Staff member
the boards have 7 ppl sitting on them - i think the qualities he brings and the experience he has would still be very handy if he was one of those 7 ..... imo - some others providing new ideas, enthusiasm and viewpoints there with him would make for a good improvement

nutshell...

he still has alot offer as an individual.

bartman

Immortal
well that part of is true, but when it came down to the nitty gritty was he ellected????
Didn't he miss out by something like 3 votes? Would have taken Dr Johnson's place if I remember correctly...

Does not the chairman have to be on both boards?
I believe that was correct - and part of why the FC Chairman had to be an incumbent LC director - that is, could only have been Hilditch, Gerard or Johnson.

What I believe this means for the LC election is that at least one of the 7 spots will be held aside for the highest scoring FC director to contest the LC election, if the top 6 number of votes all go to people who were not elected (or didn't stand) for the FC. In fact, I recall someone saying it might be 2 held aside for FC Directors of the 7 LC places, in the reverse of the way the arrangement worked with LC Directors in the FC elections...?

From a 3P prespective, if they wish one of their candidates to become the LC Chairman, then one of Kenny, Price, Grothe or Chidiak will have to run for the LC Board. I'm guessing Mr Chidiak will be the only one of these four to run for LC, unless maybe one of the players goes up as well, just to cover for that 2nd held over FC spot (if it exists)?

From an "incumbent" perspective, if Hilditch isn't re-elected to the LC Board, then he may have to vacate the FC Chairman role...? And I'm not actually sure of whether Alan Overton can continue as LC Chairman (if elected to the LC Board) for a new term past April, since he was not elected to the FC Board?

So perhaps for the "incumbents" it would come down to either Hilditch, Gerard or Johnson for the LC Chair role, if they are elected to the LC Board - and I suspect that all of these gents will run.

So, if I have undertsood all of this correctly (which I probably haven't!), we'll most likely see the LC chair decided by whether:

a) John Chidiak (or possibly one of the three players) runs and gets onto the LC Board, with a 3P majority of 5-2 to elect the Chair (without Denis' casting vote)? or

b) if the LC election goes 4-3 to 3P (like the FC one), Denis' casting vote will see an "incumbent" majority, and one of Hilditch, Gerard or Johnson (if elected to the LC Board) as LC Chairman after April? (Which would also be the case with a 4-3 or higher election result away from 3P

People are mentioning other cnadidates a few times today - I'm not sure if someone is in the know or if it's speculation, but it will be interesting to see what (if any) effect that might have on proceedings. If the candidates are weak (Formsby et al in the last election - no campaigning!) then it won't make any difference. If it happens they are big/credible names not alligned with either 3P or the "incumbents" then it could make life interesting - but somehow I doubt we'll see that.

strider

Post Whore
if the FC and LC boards are not supposed to have conflicts of interest - then why do these rules exist? - why an overlap of board members and why the same chairman? .... seems whacky to me

in a way I'd like it to all be 1 big entity - ie LC and FC together with 1 board controlling nrl and lower grades - but i'm sure there's some legal/political/moral/ethical/whatever reason they need to be separate .... but if they have to be separate, then why the overlap?

bartman

Immortal
if the FC and LC boards are not supposed to have conflicts of interest - then why do these rules exist? - why an overlap of board members and why the same chairman? .... seems whacky to me
Yeah. I think when they shifted the NRL structure they had to make some allowance for the FC people whose interests basically got steamrolled in the process? Either that or in setting up the new structure they foresaw the day when challenge would arise, and wanted to make sure a lcean sweep couldn't ever happen?

in a way I'd like it to all be 1 big entity - ie LC and FC together with 1 board controlling nrl and lower grades - but i'm sure there's some legal/political/moral/ethical/whatever reason they need to be separate .... but if they have to be separate, then why the overlap?
I'm not so sure there's a reason the NRL and the lower games need to be separate in the structure... just that the NRL/top grade was the one that was moved. I'm not aware why they didn't take (over) and move all of them at the time, other than maybe as a consoluation to the people who were steam rolled in the process?

Suitman

Post Whore
Either that or in setting up the new structure they foresaw the day when challenge would arise, and wanted to make sure a clean sweep couldn't ever happen?

I have no doubt that that suspicion has been in the back of many peoples minds for quite a while now.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
Talking about increasing revenue for the FC, I listened with interest to a podcast with former Waratahs Coach Ewen McKenzie who is the new coach of Paris Rugby side Stade Francais. An edited version of the podcast is here. This is the team that Gasnier plays for now.

Stade Francais is a great case study in marketing the game. Last week or so they had 80,000 in their stadium in a Heineken Cup midweek match. McKenzie talks about the how their (private) owner markets the team and approaches game day. Every game, the ball is delivered to the stadium by different means. Once it was attached to an eagle which flew into the stadium just before kickoff. Another time it was flown in by a man wearing a jetpack. The fans are excited by the surprise aspect and expect something different every week. McKenzie points out that this all takes place in a geographical area that is not considered a "rugby area".

You would be aware that their jumpers are the most colourful and controversial on the planet. That's strategic and certainly not because the owner has bad taste. McKenzie says that their merchandising revenue is 4th in Europe and that's including all codes of football including soccer. They change their jumper 3 times a year and are famous for their calendars which sell out every year. Not suggesting that we wear pink or ask Hindy to get his gear off, but food for thought anyway. The owner has created a brand from nothing and funds his team from the sponsorship revenue, merchandising and gate takings. I read that he does not put his hand in his pocket for one Euro these days.

6a00d8341c524d53ef00e54f41dbe68834-800wi.jpg
Mike_James_in_pink.jpg

Stade_Francais_Paris_Biarritz.jpg

stade_francais4_1005411c.jpg

stadefrancais.jpg

Last edited: