What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 8th Immortal

Apey

Staff member
Yeah I find it kind of bizarre they only inducted one person. If people couldn't decide between two, induct both.

I liked Andrew Johns saying that "Rugby League had given him everything"

Compared to one of the other nominee's famous comments

"I owe everything in my life to Rugby League" :cool:

docbrown

Coach
FFS there IS an ARL Hall of Fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_League_Hall_of_Fame

The dopey merkins just treat it like it's a secret.

Yes Sean Fagan used to be involved with it.

Here's my suggestion of reviving it and creating a clear link between current players making milestones, hall of famers and immortals:

Hall of Fame Round

• First weekend in August
  • On the Sunday afternoon play an NRL game at Stadium Australia and allow free junior pass entry
  • Past and present players to meet with fans, sign autographs, pose for photos, run skills sessions etc. Basically all NRL players in Sydney and a stable of former stars would be obliged to attend
  • After the match kids can come onto the ground
  • Have a 40 minute retired legends game as part of the pre-match entertainment
  • Before the game have a parade of current stars that have made Major Milestone in the previous 365 days – Club Games (200/300 games both total and at one club), Origins (20/30 games), Test Matches (20/30/40/50 games)
  • At half time make an induction of former players into the Hall of Fame (accepting both pre 1961 & post 1961 players). The short term aim would be to include all members of the team of the century and the 100 players of the century onto the list so that the Hall of Fame list is the one major comprehensive list.
  • The Hall of Fame would be set up as a Wall of Names at Rugby League central etc
  • Every 4th year on the same Sunday that evening there would be a formal ceremony/presentation to announce the next Immortal with the unveiling of a statue at the ceremony
  • The statue would then later be relocated to its final position along the avenue outside Rugby League Central where there would be 8 other statues of the existing immortals

kbw

Bench
Andrew Johns is the greatest player I ever saw play.
Mal was good, but in his club side were 4 better players. Yes he acheived a lot but he was not a good enough player to be an immortal. He should have played in the fowards in the last few years of his career, but would not.

Lockyer I believe should be an immortal in the next few years, Mal never.
He is a decent guy and I respect him, but he should never have gone on 4 kangaroo tours and the players that went with him know that.

I think he has had a bigger impact on the game as SOO coach, yet there are several coaches that should be lauded before him.

kbw

Bench
Yes we know Johns is a druggie and racist, but this is solely judged by what happens on the field

and rightfuly so. Many players including current immortals got up to stuff in very poor taste and standard, only it was covered up

Fire

First Grade
and rightfuly so. Many players including current immortals got up to stuff in very poor taste and standard, only it was covered up

Exactly. Everyone knows after the 1996 Grand Final Bozo walked up to Cliffy Lyons and said, "I'd kiss ya but I don't wanna get black on my lips...". Don't laugh, he meant it.

no name

Coach
How many kids/players do you see doing banana kicks these days?
How many kids/players do you see toe poke for goal?

Johns changed the way the game is played, some of the shit he came up with had never been seen before.
That in itself is reason enough to have him as an Immortal.

Loudstrat

Coach
Joey was the only choice. The best player I have ever seen - no one comes close.

:lol: at Queenslanders who try and make everything an Origin contest. If you were fair dinkum Lockyer should have been in the frame. Meninga competed at a high level for a long period but he was never as good as ET. Meninga never showed a shred of sportsmanship either, and never appreciated what the game gave him. Lockyer and Wally were so different in comparison. And Johns? Unlike Meninga, he never bagged off the game.

If there is a shock, it is the continued snubbing of the legendary Mick Liubinskas. What must this iconic superstar of yesteryear do to get the recognition that he deserves?

ozbash

Referee
How many kids/players do you see doing banana kicks these days?
How many kids/players do you see toe poke for goal?

Johns changed the way the game is played, some of the shit he came up with had never been seen before.
That in itself is reason enough to have him as an Immortal.

Bollox

Canard

Immortal
Joey was the only choice. The best player I have ever seen - no one comes close.

:lol: at Queenslanders who try and make everything an Origin contest. If you were fair dinkum Lockyer should have been in the frame. Meninga competed at a high level for a long period but he was never as good as ET. Meninga never showed a shred of sportsmanship either, and never appreciated what the game gave him. Lockyer and Wally were so different in comparison. And Johns? Unlike Meninga, he never bagged off the game.

If there is a shock, it is the continued snubbing of the legendary Mick Liubinskas. What must this iconic superstar of yesteryear do to get the recognition that he deserves?

Haha best joke post ever, especially the "sportmanship" part and the implication that Joey was a good sport, well played Loudy.

Andrew Johns is the greatest player I ever saw play.
Mal was good, but in his club side were 4 better players. Yes he acheived a lot but he was not a good enough player to be an immortal. He should have played in the fowards in the last few years of his career, but would not.

Lockyer I believe should be an immortal in the next few years, Mal never.
He is a decent guy and I respect him, but he should never have gone on 4 kangaroo tours and the players that went with him know that.

I think he has had a bigger impact on the game as SOO coach, yet there are several coaches that should be lauded before him.

None of the above is fact mate, its just subjective biased, Gen Y horseshit.

Whats Doing

Bench
This whole debate is a joke.

We should be applauding whoever was selected and marvel at the talent the selected player had shown over an extended period of time.

Those denigrating one player or the other should give themselves an uppercut.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Snubbing Provan is worse than Meninga and I would say Dally Messenger not being included makes it the biggest joke irrespective of the post war rule we probably would not be discussing Johns as the 8th immortal if it were not for Dally Messenger.

Also, why isn't Jack Gibson an immortal? Handy player, revolutionary coach, pimpin fur coat.

At the end of the day it's one magazines opinion and The QueeNZland butt hurt is sensationally hilarious.

There would hardly be a living person that saw Messenger play.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
For those that whinge "Too soon for Joey" should look at the facts.

The other seven Immortals have these gaps between retirement and induction.

Clive Churchill - retired 1958 - inducted 1981 - 23 year gap

Bob Fulton - 1979 - 1981 - 2 year gap

Reg Gasnier - 1967 - 1981 - 14 year gap

John Raper - 1969 - 1981 - 12 year gap

Graeme Langlands - 1976 - 1999 - 23 year gap

Wally Lewis - 1992 - 1999 - 7 year gap

Arthur Beetson - 1980 - 2003 - 23 year gap

Andrew Johns - 2007 - 2012 - 5 year gap

So whose whinging about Bob Fulton!!

Last edited:

Latest posts