What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 8th Immortal

undertaker

Coach
Many players including current immortals got up to stuff in very poor taste and standard, only it was covered up

100% correct. Anyone who says that bad behaviour off the field back in those days wasn't as prevalent as it is today is kidding themselves. The difference between then and now is the media. It's just they were lucky to be playing in an era where the media weren't so invasive like today and it was a lot easier to cover stuff up back then.

Nowdays, with the technology that's available, if a player stuffed up in public, most likely someone nearby would take out their mobile phone and film/capture what was happening (e.g. Brett Seymour)

Exactly. Everyone knows after the 1996 Grand Final Bozo walked up to Cliffy Lyons and said, "I'd kiss ya but I don't wanna get black on my lips...". Don't laugh, he meant it.

:shock:Did he really say that?

72Gav

Juniors
For those who said Meninga wasn't even in the top 4 players playing for Canberra, how many Premierships did Laurie Daley, Ricky Stuart, Brad Clyde & Steve Walters??? win after Meninga retired?

Also if Johns was some dominant how come Qld won 3-0 with a bunch of Neville's in 1995? You would have thought Johns would have carved up a 3rd string Qld side? Don't give me the excuse it was his first Origin Series. Langer carved up Sterling if his first Origin Series (1987) and Langer was playing for Ipswich at the time.

Don't get me wrong, Johns was an awesome player but not worthy enough to be the 8th Immortal.

Loudstrat

Coach
Solid argument. Knights didnt win a comp after Johns retired either. :lol:

Queensland butthurt lives!

72Gav

Juniors
Loudstrat, obviously comprehension is not your strongest skill in life.

Johns was the best player in the Knights team and therefore obviously would not win another title without him. My point was if there were 4 players better than Meninga in the Canberra side and those players played together for another approx 6 years you would assume they should have won the comp again.

miănfèinàn

Juniors
It's such a hard decision to compare players between eras, but if the decision is based purely. On football ability then for mine Joey johns was the correct decision. He was a better footy player than meninga, sterling, langer, fittler, Daley, lazo, Lockyer, kenny. I cannot give an opinion on coote or McCarthy or irvine.
Johns was as highly skilled as any player I have seen, great kicker and passer and an inovater. While he lacked a littl pace, he still made regular breaks and one of the things that sets him apart was his power. Alfie and sterlo great players, but neither possessed the physical strength of johns to dump front rowers on their backsides.
Plus add a great goal kicker.

So on football ability for mine johns is the best player of the last 30 years. Well wally would give him a run. Before that others can judge, but given There are already 6 immortals from pre 1980, would suggest that a more modern player should be added.

Mal great player, such a force outwide and perhaps the start of the huge outside back, and good for such a long time. Langer, sterlo, Kenny, fittler, Daley all great in their own right. Lockyer will surely become an immortAl in time. Lazo well lacks the playmaking side, but just a juggernaut who made every side he played in better.

But Joey is above all of them as a footballer.

I think most footy players would have some off field antics that may have been made much more public if they lived in the johns era. Certainly Johnny raper has plenty of stories.

In addition Joey off field controversies are not endless, he was caught once with a tablet and then admitted to using recreational drugs mainly in the off season, nothing to do with performance. Let's not forget there was no real drug testing pre 1990s. But in this contest it was only on field ability.
There is one player whom everybody seems to have forgotten but who in my (admittedly limited) experience of watching past rugby league matches deserves at least as much to gain the “Immortal” tag as Provan or Meninga or Coote.

That being Manly’s champion 1970s fullback Graham Eadie. Eadie is, in fact, to my mind the most talented player I have seen (though I have watched but little of Johns or Lockyer so I could not judge). I have watched a bit of Coote, and whilst he was a strong wide runner and superb tackler he does not impress me quite as much as Eadie.

At 97 kilograms (just over 15 stone) Eadie was as big as many front-rowers of his era, but had speed that Meninga could never match. His performance in the 1978 Grand Final Replay, when he completely destroyed a Cronulla defence that had allowed only 38 tries in 25 previous games to score two tries (and just miss another) and set up two for Russel Gartner. In the 1976 Grand Final his defence was superb against John Peard’s bombs and his goalkicking was superb, and his power out wide from limited opportunities in the 1973 decider almost as stunning.

Even at the end of his career, watching Eadie against Grothe must be the greatest contest out wide in league history (or close to it). That his retirement was premature was seen in his success in a 1987 comeback in England, and that people seem to have forgotten Eadie may be indication that as a position fullback has lost a lost of prestige since the “handover” rule came in for the 1983 season: for pure talent I do not see a player who beats Eadie.

Jetka100

Juniors
To be honest, as great a player as he may have been, the fact that people have forgotten about him, pretty much makes him ineligible for the title of an immortal.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I really think we need to retire either the Hall of Fame or the Immortals. We should not have both...

I think the Immortals group takes away a lot from the HoF and make it second-class.

Personally, I love the Immortals brand. Its so unique, whereas there is a HoF in every sport.

I think the best option is to induct AJohns into the HoF (he is the only Immortal not there) then rebrand the whole thing "The Immortals".

A single group of legends recognised and honours under an iconic RL brand...

Jason Maher

Immortal
It's a joke that the highest individual honour bestowed on an ex-player in this sport is owned by a magazine publication.

Such an honour should be owned and awarded by the governing body.

The governing body should talk to said magazine and come to an arrangement, which should include pre-war greats like Dave Brown and Dally Messenger.

GW.

Juniors
GWhere,

Has Brett Kimmorleys name ever been dropped into these discussions?

he was sublime on his day.

GW.

Juniors
Hahahahahahahaha.

No.

This bait smells fishy. You should try something else.

When Kimmorly went to Melbourne they won a title.

When he left and went to the cronulla sharks they came 2nd on the minor premiership ladder, with stuart saying he was the best he had ever coached.

When kimmorley left the sharks the sharks went from 2nd to 15th and the dogs went from 15th to 3rd or 4th with barely a roster change in the space of a season.

What does that tell you?

Kimmorleys had the most single impact on a team i have seen since Johns, and Johns is an immortal.

POPEYE

Coach
Hall of Fame to Rugby League is a prize winning bull, immortals are less important than the shit it leaves behind

Then again, so many believers worshipping just a few sums up the infantile state of the game

SBD82

Coach

When he left and went to the cronulla sharks they came 2nd on the minor premiership ladder, with stuart saying he was the best he had ever coached.

When kimmorley left the sharks the sharks went from 2nd to 15th and the dogs went from 15th to 3rd or 4th with barely a roster change in the space of a season.

What does that tell you?

Kimmorleys had the most single impact on a team i have seen since Johns, and Johns is an immortal.
You're either;

A) a troll who hasn't done much work to hone his craft.

Or

B) too stupid to risk talking to in case it's contagious.

My guess is that it's likely A). I hope for your sake I'm right. Either way, I'm not having a conversation about kimmorley being an immortal because it's f**king absurd.

GW.

Juniors

When kimmorley left the sharks the sharks went from 2nd to 15th and the dogs went from 15th to 3rd or 4th with barely a roster change the very next season.

What does that tell you?

Kimmorleys had the most dingle impact on a team i have seen since Johns, and Johns is an immortal.
You're either;

A) a troll who hasn't done much work to hone his craft.

Or

B) too stupid to risk talking to in case it's contagious.

My guess is that it's likely A). I hope for your sake I'm right. Either way, I'm not having a conversation about kimmorley being an immortal because it's f**king absurd.

Sigh.
Can anyone have an online discussion without childish namecalling?

I just presented some logic and fact to support my claim his name should be in the mix.

This is the NRL ladder in 2008.
As you can see, the sharks finished the season equal first, whixh is actually better than the 2nd that my memory deceived me with.
http://www.ourfootyteam.com/nrl_ladder_2008.php

Please take note the wooden spooners, the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.

Now lets look at the very NEXT season.
Both teams had only really one key player change, that is Brett Kimmorley.

Look at the ladder now
http://www.ourfootyteam.com/nrl_ladder_2009.php

Bulldogs from 15th to 2nd.
Sharls from equal minor premiers to just above dead last, they only avoided it from a flukey win at the end.

This has been the case Bretts whole career, so why is it moronic?

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
Ian Henderson should be the next. Cant believe he never got a Rep jersey.

Or is that Ian Hindmarsh? Either way, they both deserve it.

Reactions: GW.

Latest posts