What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The AFL show how it should be done again......

PB

Bench
I said it all along. The suspects in the bulldogs scandel should have been named, and it would make the whole episode alot cleaner and not tarnish as many innocent individuals.

The St Kilda club make a statement, naming the two players who are suspects and giving their version of events. In doing so the players innocence is presumed until proven otherwise, as it should be. The focus remains on the players, not the club and not the code.

Had the bulldogs done this, there would have been know need for 25 people to be dragged down to police stations for DNA test, no problems of leeks to newspapers by rouge papers, no need for "truth session" etc. The players who are not suspects would have not have had their names dragged through the scandal, and them and their families would not have had to go through the same stress.

My feeling is this. The bulldogs did not name the players and their version of events because If they had, it would have revealed that players had broken clubs code of conduct which would have meant the club would have to take immediate action against these players. This would have had repacussions in that;

a) the Dogs would have been with out players on the field from round 1 and

b) could cause a split in the club with the players with action taken against them feeling like scape goats, as it would appear based on the magnitude of incidents in Coffs that Bulldogs players have brought women back to the club hotels in the past..

The longer this goes on, the more concerned I become that if charges are not laid, that the bulldogs incident will be swept under the carpet as the bulldogs will not feel they have to reveal any details and cover ups will become easier to establish.

So don't cry when the AFL doesn't cop it the same way the NRL has in the papers, they only have themselves to blame for the way it has been handled.

Southernsaint

Staff member
So, hypothetically, the "Bulldog Six" get named (and shamed). They are then found innocent of the charges.

It's a legal mine-field then, because these people's names have been associated with a vulgar crime. Surely they'd go after some sort of legal compensation from the League & media organisations who have named them??

Cheers,
Ben S.

PB

Bench
No. They name themselves, so that their team mates don't go through the saga also.

Mud sticks, sure. But if you come clean from the start your innoscene is alot more plausable, than if you cover it up, and force others to unecessairly go through the saga also.

Sportsjock

Juniors
100% agree. The AFL once again showed up Rugby League.

The fact that the Bulldogs cannot name players only raises suspicion to the club and all involved, while the fact St Kilda did reveal names and were completely open, shows that not only are they prepared to remove the cloud of doubt over their uninvolved team mates, they are also extremely confident of their innocence in all this.

What did the Bulldogs do?
* Have a team meating to have a " truth " session aka , getting everyones stories straight.
* Hand deliver statements rather than take normal interviewing processes.
* So far have seen no one held accountable for anything, not even the breaking of the code of conduct.

Its ridiculous, and something that the Bulldogs should be ashamed of, while the St Kilda club ( and also especially the TWO PLAYERS INVOLVED )deserves a massive round of :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ibeme

First Grade
PB said:
I said it all along. The suspects in the bulldogs scandel should have been named, and it would make the whole episode alot cleaner and not tarnish as many innocent individuals.

The St Kilda club make a statement, naming the two players who are suspects and giving their version of events. In doing so the players innocence is presumed until proven otherwise, as it should be. The focus remains on the players, not the club and not the code.

Had the bulldogs done this, there would have been know need for 25 people to be dragged down to police stations for DNA test, no problems of leeks to newspapers by rouge papers, no need for "truth session" etc. The players who are not suspects would have not have had their names dragged through the scandal, and them and their families would not have had to go through the same stress.

My feeling is this. The bulldogs did not name the players and their version of events because If they had, it would have revealed that players had broken clubs code of conduct which would have meant the club would have to take immediate action against these players. This would have had repacussions in that;

a) the Dogs would have been with out players on the field from round 1 and

b) could cause a split in the club with the players with action taken against them feeling like scape goats, as it would appear based on the magnitude of incidents in Coffs that Bulldogs players have brought women back to the club hotels in the past..

The longer this goes on, the more concerned I become that if charges are not laid, that the bulldogs incident will be swept under the carpet as the bulldogs will not feel they have to reveal any details and cover ups will become easier to establish.

So don't cry when the AFL doesn't cop it the same way the NRL has in the papers, they only have themselves to blame for the way it has been handled.

The club would not have been able to name the players without the players permission. This is not a decision the club can make on their own, as it's not the club's crime.

There is also a feeling that they were named only because the wrong player was named earlier on tv.

The players especially may live to regret having themselves named. Time will tell. I don't know if it was the wrong or the right thing to do, but it's a lot more complicated than just naming people

PB

Bench
ibeme said:
The club would not have been able to name the players without the players permission. This is not a decision the club can make on their own, as it's not the club's crime.

There is also a feeling that they were named only because the wrong player was named earlier on tv.

The players especially may live to regret having themselves named. Time will tell. I don't know if it was the wrong or the right thing to do, but it's a lot more complicated than just naming people

No it's simple. The players are either scared, guilty, or have no respect for their mates.

Its a load of crap about the TV naming an incorrect player. If they were able to speculate and name players, don't you think it would have been done in the Bulldogs case in sydney?!

The club and individuals have come forward.

If the Dogs had done it, we would never have had an "unamed player" talking to the media and muttering the words "part of the culture of rugby league", which is just one of the many elements that has damaged the game.

NB: please note i am not lessoning the actual severity of the crime or forgetting about the most important issue (sexual crimes and their impact on the victim), i am just focussing on the issue of the effect on the game.

Muffdaddy

Juniors
Sportsjock said:
100% agree. The AFL once again showed up Rugby League.

The fact that the Bulldogs cannot name players only raises suspicion to the club and all involved, while the fact St Kilda did reveal names and were completely open, shows that not only are they prepared to remove the cloud of doubt over their uninvolved team mates, they are also extremely confident of their innocence in all this.

What did the Bulldogs do?
* Have a team meating to have a " truth " session aka , getting everyones stories straight.
* Hand deliver statements rather than take normal interviewing processes.
* So far have seen no one held accountable for anything, not even the breaking of the code of conduct.

Its ridiculous, and something that the Bulldogs should be ashamed of, while the St Kilda club ( and also especially the TWO PLAYERS INVOLVED )deserves a massive round of :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I 100% agree with your 100%.
Once again AFL has made the NRL look dirty, sneaky, underhanded and guilty. I say the NRL because what the Bulldogs 6 have allegedly done has tarnished the whole NRL and the fans.
The 6 players should've come forward if they're so confident of being found innocent. Steve Mortimer and Dr George should've named them if they reckon they'll get off.
Gutless and selfish and full of themselves....
Can I just say briefly to all the Bulldogs fans, that I do feel for you guys and girls as you've been through a lot in the last couple of years and I don't know how I'd be handling it if I were in your situation, so stay focused and keep supporting your team's efforts on the field, but don't be blinded by the fact that they have let you down in big way, again.(Off-field)
You have every right to be mad as hell at the alleged 6 for bring the whole club down with them.
Someone must pay. The code of conduct was broken regarless of whether they are guilty of the allegastions so someone has to pay, big time....

Fanny Batter

Juniors
it looks as though the afl has shown us leagueies a thing or two on how to deal with a crisis.

when will we ever learn...........

ibeme

First Grade
PB said:
ibeme said:

No it's simple. The players are either scared, guilty, or have no respect for their mates.

Its a load of crap about the TV naming an incorrect player. If they were able to speculate and name players, don't you think it would have been done in the Bulldogs case in sydney?!

The club and individuals have come forward.

If the Dogs had done it, we would never have had an "unamed player" talking to the media and muttering the words "part of the culture of rugby league", which is just one of the many elements that has damaged the game.

NB: please note i am not lessoning the actual severity of the crime or forgetting about the most important issue (sexual crimes and their impact on the victim), i am just focussing on the issue of the effect on the game.

There are huge differences. The girl in the Bulldogs case can't identify the players because she doesn't know who they are, with the exception of one or two. Part of the police investigation is identifying those players. The players are denying any involvement, so how can any of them put their hands up as the accused? The AFL guys were there, with the accuser. They're issue is with consent, not about non-involvement.

As for incorrectly naming the player, channel 7 retracted the comment, and the AFL are now considering taking legal action against them.

PB

Bench
the girl has named players, and there are Police reports.
Even if Player X is named as a suspect and he comes out and hypothetically says "I didnt do anything of a sexual nature with her, all i did was push her in the pool". Then most would presume his innocence until proven otherwise.

but they don't make these statements because it would contravene their Code of Conduct and the club would then have to take action, which they don't want to do for obvious reasons. And i am a huge fan of Gallop, but he has disapointed me on this one so far.

JK

Sportsjock said:
while the St Kilda club ( and also especially the TWO PLAYERS INVOLVED )deserves a massive round of :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Considering they are accused of rape I ain't clapping them.

Also, they only came out after a team mate was incorrectly identified. Yeah, heroes to us all :roll:

ibeme

First Grade
Do you know for a fact that the girl knows who the players are? All reports I've read said that she can't identify them, which is why the entire team had to drag their asses in for questioning and DNA samples.

Remember the big furor on the first day when tv were showing their faces? Everyone thought that the tv were revealing who the suspects were, but in fact they were doing it because all players at that stage were being treated as suspects.

The players themselves might not even know who the main suspects are, if in fact the police do.

JK

Another reason to not support the AFL model...

Qld: Footy team sponsored by God to go to church
Article Date Wednesday, March 17 2004 - 11:29

By Dale Paget
GOLD COAST, March 17 AAP - A Gold Coast Australian Rules club believes its players are better behaved off the field because of a sponsorship deal that makes going to church compulsory.
The Labrador Tigers team has been playing with God on its side since the Christian Community Church at Burleigh Heads signed on as a gold sponsor last season.
The deal includes $5,000 in cash, a prayer from the pastor for success and compulsory attendance for the whole team to at least one church service a season.
The team turned up to pray last weekend.
Labrador Tigers president David Loft said the relationship with the church promoted the positive side of football at a time when the game was suffering at the centre of sex scandals.
"Today we've got another report of a football club where there's been misconduct. We don't necessarily believe we are trying to change the views of our football club by getting them to attend a church service," explained Mr Loft.
"Anything we do to promote and teach them better life skills, a better environment for them to be in than some of the negative things coming out of football, we're happy to promote the better side of the game."
The church was approached by the club for support and pastor Eugene Bognar jumped at the opportunity to reach a new congregation.
"Aussies love their sport, we have sport in our veins so we felt it was a great way to befriend a group of people who normally I wouldn't have access to," said the pastor.
"Some of them have never been to church and never wanted to go to church. Some of them have said they will come back even when they don't have to."
According to Mr Loft, the Tigers are now driven to perform for the church.
"There is some kind of consciousness in the guys minds that we want to make sure our sponsors are happy with our performance on and off the field," said Mr Loft.
Unfortunately, the church's prayers haven't produced success on the field. Last season the Labrador Tigers finished in ninth place on a 10-team AFL Queensland roster.
"Their prayers could do with a little bit of help," lamented Mr Loft.
The Tigers lost their opening pre-season match last weekend against the Broadbeach Cats by 61 points.
"I'd hate to think what would have happened if we hadn't have prayed, said Pastor Bognar.
AAP

rugged

Juniors
Why can't accused people be named? I thought it was only minors that weren't able to be named. Is it once they are charged they are named?

100% agree with everyone's 100%. At least tarnishing a few people's names doesn't tarnish the whole NRL and Bulldogs.

Great idea about the going to church and the church sponsorship. :p

Sportsjock

Juniors
JK said:
Considering they are accused of rape I ain't clapping them.

Actually accused of Sexual Assault , which does not mean RAPE.
I think most people here know I am not clapping them on the alleged accusation, but rather for agreeing to take a stand and cop it on the chin like real men.

As I have already mentioned, by standing up like a man and going public saying " I am the one who is accused of this crime " , also suggests they have nothing to hide, and also suggests they believe they are completely innocent - which regardless of allegations or whatever, deserves the utmost respect for being man enough to take responsibility for their actions.

And thats why there was a clap.

JK

but rather for agreeing to take a stand and cop it on the chin like real men.

A big pfft for your distinction rape vs sexual assault - pure pedantry.

As to the above and assuming that the actual names are known to police and club (it is all alleged at this stage) why should they have to take the bad publicity upon themselves?

This would have dramatic affect upon their lives in terms of personal relationships and commercial ones as well.

People deserve the presumption of innocence and while we are still yet to have charges laid naming them tars them with a brush that is hard to remove. Disagree all you want but a club can better take the heat than individuals. The only issue in the Bulldogs case is the media coverage. It should have held off as anyone who is accused has the same opportunities for a mistrial as the co-accused of Bilal Skaf. We should not subject any woman to more than one trial, and we should not subject potentially innocent people to trial by media :evil:

Dogs Of War

Coach
The players definately know who is accused. From what I have heard, I am not suprised that the players haven't been identified. Once it becomes common knowledge I sure most of you won't be either. Their will be changes, and I for one will be glad to say good ridance to the lot of them.

JK

Their will be changes, and I for one will be glad to say good ridance to the lot of them.

If guilty, same here!

There should be no place for rapists (um, sexual offenders)

PB

Bench
ibeme said:
Do you know for a fact that the girl knows who the players are? All reports I've read said that she can't identify them, which is why the entire team had to drag their asses in for questioning and DNA samples.

There ARE police reports that contain names and the unfortunate thing is that names are being leaked out and as is with most things like this some names are wrong, and some are correct.. So everyone starts to look guilty.

There is also a good reason why the girl's details have not been more widely spread about to the media, which should please the NRL and Bulldogs as it would make the situation even worse if that were possible….

DIEHARD

----
Fanny Batter said:
it looks as though the afl has shown us leagueies a thing or two on how to deal with a crisis.

when will we ever learn...........

Who is this blow in?

Latest posts