What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The AMNRL no longer exist

gyallop

Juniors
Must be a powerful bird to connect with someone in BC whose only connection to RL is watching it on line as I recall your statement about your involvement in the game.

In the words of Frank N Furter I shiver in antici... pation!

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
There was a very brief time when I wasn't involved because running my business was taking up a lot of my time. But I was involved with rugby league before I ever joined this forum, and I am involved again. I wouldn't be questioning things if I wasn't involved. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I were more involved than you gyallop.

byrner

Juniors
EH I have two questions which I would like your opinion on.
1) how can you argue that one body (AMNRL) should relinquish control of the game without arguing for the only other body (USARL) to take ovsr the game?

and

2) if you are not arguing for the USARL to take over the national side, who do you suggest takes over?

gyallop

Juniors
There was a very brief time when I wasn't involved because running my business was taking up a lot of my time. But I was involved with rugby league before I ever joined this forum, and I am involved again. I wouldn't be questioning things if I wasn't involved. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I were more involved than you gyallop.

Canada isnt renowned as a power base of world rugby league mate.

Do we believe this statement or your last one about your experience in RL

As a relative newcomer to rugby league and never having seen a game live (only watch the NRL on the interweb for the past five years)......

deal.with.it

Juniors
I have no issues saying I am biased towards the USARL, because I prefer what they are doing for RL.
But, that doesn't mean I can judge things about the AMNRL that I clearly don't know everything about.
My opinion is that the AMNRL is a boys club, run on a whim, very last minute, full of false promises, and David Niu is an autocratic leader.
But, when the guys from the AMNRL say that in fact the AMNRL has tried to regroup and that every team gets a vote, then I start to listen. Not because I think its definitely true, but because they know more than I do.
And EH, even if David Niu came on here and told you all the facts, I don't think you'd change your arguments for a second. You are a great debater, and once you have an opinion you don't budge, even when people with more info tell you more.
As for PacificCoastRL, I'm not even sure what you're hinting at? That by the end of 2013 he'll be proven right? Is that saying the obvious that USARL players won't be picked, OR, that the RLIF will hand over control after the WC?
Either way, I wouldn't believe a little birdy. Little birdies have said a lot over the last couple of years, and not much has changed. I can't wait until the season starts, so at least we know what is happening on the domestic front.

roughyedspud

Coach
canada will over take the USA on the world rugby league power ladder,very soon, if you americans don't sort your shit out!

the development of the game in america can't afford to have 2 bodies butting heads with each other!! leave the competition ON the field but they need to work with each other off it

imo they can still run their own "league" but it must be part of a 2 conference structure, the AMNRL division & USARL division with play offs and grand final between the 2....you can also have a state of origin type series..AMNRL V USARL....with the national team selected out of that.....

all that WILL DRIVE DEVELOPMENT!!

keep it like it is now and american RL will go backwards!!

now sort it the f**k out!

Lone Ranger

Juniors
Glad to see this thread sparked a conversation that is worthy of the title. What's interesting and confirms to me it's true is as follows.

With over 2,700 views on the thread not one member of the AMNRL (not that there is more than one) has come on here any said this isn't true.

What are the plans for the upcoming year? What does the next steps for the USA team look like? Explain what happened in Hawaii and Vegas. Explain why the AMNRL players who visit this forum have no idea that there isn't a USA schedule or a competition this summer because of your non-compete fallout with GPR.

Decent AMNRL players who work very hard to promote this sport deserve some answers.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Canada isnt renowned as a power base of world rugby league mate.

Do we believe this statement or your last one about your experience in RL

As a relative newcomer to rugby league and never having seen a game live (only watch the NRL on the interweb for the past five years)......
Who said Canada was a power base? And what does that have to do with anything? Yes, I've never seen a game live and I've never played, but I have been and am once again involved at an organizing level.
In fact I've spent the last 50 years in a gradual progression from player to on-field official to coach to adminstrator in a number of sports. Some of them I have played, some of them I haven't. One needn't play a sport to be part of it's administration. I've also spent some time as a freelance reporter - I know how to gather information and I know who to trust and who not to trust when it comes that information.
gyllop - earlier in this thread you talked about deflecting things. You're pretty good at it yourself. In your statement quoted above you did nothing but try to discredit what I had said. But really the only thing pertaining to you in my statement was I thought maybe I did more for rugby league than you, yet you didn't rebut that.

Evil Homer

Staff member
EH I have two questions which I would like your opinion on.
1) how can you argue that one body (AMNRL) should relinquish control of the game without arguing for the only other body (USARL) to take ovsr the game?

and

2) if you are not arguing for the USARL to take over the national side, who do you suggest takes over?
I don't care who takes over as long as they do things in the right way. If that's the USARL or a neutral body comprised of representatives from both sides or someone different entirely, as long as they operate fairly it doesn't really matter. If they changed their ways then there wouldn't really be any issue with the AMNRL remaining in charge, apart from the fact that they can no longer be trusted to do the right thing. It's not my place to decide who should be in charge of the sport. I just know that the current administration is unacceptable. In the short-term, I'd suggest that selection of national team players should be done by the national coach, who I believe is still Matt Elliott, and that they should be selected based on their on-field merits and not political factors.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I have no issues saying I am biased towards the USARL, because I prefer what they are doing for RL.
But, that doesn't mean I can judge things about the AMNRL that I clearly don't know everything about.
My opinion is that the AMNRL is a boys club, run on a whim, very last minute, full of false promises, and David Niu is an autocratic leader.
But, when the guys from the AMNRL say that in fact the AMNRL has tried to regroup and that every team gets a vote, then I start to listen. Not because I think its definitely true, but because they know more than I do.
And EH, even if David Niu came on here and told you all the facts, I don't think you'd change your arguments for a second. You are a great debater, and once you have an opinion you don't budge, even when people with more info tell you more.
To clarify, I'm not really concerned with the running of the AMNRL competition. If players and teams want to be part of that league or agree with the AMNRL way of doing things then that's great, they have every right to do that and I have no issue with it at all. What I have is an issue with is the AMNRL as the recognized governing body for the sport in the USA. A national governing body simply cannot do things the way that the AMNRL do. It cannot operate autocratically, it cannot blacklist groups and individuals, it cannot attempt to sell the sport to third parties. It cannot grossly abuse national team selection as the AMNRL are doing at the moment. For a national governing body these things are totally unacceptable. If we're talking about a league competition then it doesn't matter, as long as the member clubs are happy then it's not mine or anyone else's place to tell them how things should be run. But a national governing body is different, they have responsibilities and duties to uphold that I do not think the AMNRL are aware of, and if they are then they certainly don't pay any attention to them.

Fighter

Juniors
EH, while I agree with a lot of your points, due to my personal opinion, you do have a tendency to deflect the true question and just re-state your opinions.
You don't actually know for a fact the organisational structure of the AMNRL.
The Sharks players have stated that there is an AMNRL committee (arguably consisting of Niu loyalists, but not proven) and each team is represented and can vote, and that the AMNRL have tried to regroup with the USARL, but they don't want to.
My personal opinion, not fact, is that Illfield and McGough have a lot to do with this.

Yes the T-hawks selection part you are right about, but this is hotly debated whether it is right or wrong. When you think about how many domestic players will actually be chosen in the WC, i think Niu is right to select the best 4-5 domestics from the AMNRL.

Guys, Peter has had at least 4 different meetings set up with DN in the last few months, and DN has canceled them all last minute. DN and the AMNRL are making no effort to get back together with us, and that is their prerogative. Although we have tried, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

We will have our USARL 2013 schedule out in the next few weeks and we are focusing our efforts now on the 9's in May and regular season set to start on June 1. This stuff we can control and are very excited for it all to start.

byrner

Juniors
I don't care who takes over as long as they do things in the right way. If that's the USARL or a neutral body comprised of representatives from both sides or someone different entirely, as long as they operate fairly it doesn't really matter. If they changed their ways then there wouldn't really be any issue with the AMNRL remaining in charge, apart from the fact that they can no longer be trusted to do the right thing. It's not my place to decide who should be in charge of the sport. I just know that the current administration is unacceptable. In the short-term, I'd suggest that selection of national team players should be done by the national coach, who I believe is still Matt Elliott, and that they should be selected based on their on-field merits and not political factors.

My only problem with your line of thinking is who would be neutral without any bias within the USARL and the AMNRL to take over running the game. To do this you would need somebody who is not associated with the game in the US; where would this group come from. You can't keep suggesting that someone hands over control on the game and not have someone to take their place.

Also, Matt Elliott? Whos going to pay for him to fly over and his accomodation to watch players on the feild?

deal.with.it

Juniors
EH, I'm on the same page with u now.
Fighter, thats a real shame and the contrary to what sharks plauers have said.
Byrner, good question.

Fighter, is there a limit on the time a chairman can be elected for? Also, do you see any issue with the fight coach doubling as chairman and CEO doubling as USARL CEO?

Evil Homer

Staff member
My only problem with your line of thinking is who would be neutral without any bias within the USARL and the AMNRL to take over running the game. To do this you would need somebody who is not associated with the game in the US; where would this group come from. You can't keep suggesting that someone hands over control on the game and not have someone to take their place.

Also, Matt Elliott? Whos going to pay for him to fly over and his accomodation to watch players on the feild?
I can't say who the best person would be, TBH at this stage it seems like anyone would be better than the AMNRL but for it to be worked out properly would take time and probably RLIF intervention, they couldn't just step aside tomorrow because as you say, there would be nobody to take their place. What they could do tomorrow would be to stop excluding USARL players from the national team and start operating as a competent governing body should.

byrner

Juniors
I can't say who the best person would be, TBH at this stage it seems like anyone would be better than the AMNRL but for it to be worked out properly would take time and probably RLIF intervention, they couldn't just step aside tomorrow because as you say, there would be nobody to take their place. What they could do tomorrow would be to stop excluding USARL players from the national team and start operating as a competent governing body should.

Good points

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I didn't ignore you rob. I was merely enlightening certain people that they don't know as much as they think they do. Again, I have no authority to comment on any of the actual goings on so I don't know why other people feel, even from so far away, feel they should be the leading voice on the matter.

Well if that's the case why can't anyone just enlighten us what is occurring with the AMNRL rather than just rhetoric that we don't know the whole story? Surely you have the authority to tell us if they are still operating or what has happened to the website? Something!

Until we hear any news to the contrary many are going to keep speculating.