What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

aussies1st

Staff member
AFL system is the way to go, no loss in profits infact probably more due to the more even match ups.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The McIntyre system works better in League then AFL because of the more liklihood of upsets...

Teams 6,7 & 8 never won in the AFL McIntyre system......

The_Savage_1

Juniors
griff said:
But the problem with McIntyre is that each game does not have the same thing on the line for both teams. And each team doesn't have their own destiny in their own hands, it also depends on the way other results go.

of course they do, win and you advance!

sheldy

Juniors
i would rather have the mcintyre system because even if teams 3 and 4 dont get a second chance they still get a home semi. and if they lose then they obviously arent the best team in the comp and they wont win the premiership. no matter what team you play you have to beat them to become premiers, second chance or not.

griff

Bench
The_Savage_1 said:
of course they do, win and you advance!
But lose and depending on what happens elsewhere, you may or may not still be around. Manly should have gone in last night knowing that if they win, x will happen, and if they lose, y will happen.

Quidgybo

Bench
sheldy said:
i would rather have the mcintyre system because even if teams 3 and 4 dont get a second chance they still get a home semi.
Teams 3 and 4 get a semi in the other system too (as well as the second chance). They are guaranteed a home semi in week 2 or week 3. If they win away in week 1 they play their week 3 preliminary final at home. If they lose away in week 1 they play their week 2 elimination final at home. In fact in the system currently used in the AFL, teams 1 and 2 are guaranteed two home semis, teams 3-6 are guaranteed one semi, and teams 7 and 8 quite rightly get bugger all.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
Just dipping a toe in the water. We'll see how long I last before the madness becomes too much.

Leigh.

Dynamic Rooster

Juniors
i dont like either of the systems both have there ups and downs i have made my own what do u think

week 1

1 v 4
2 v 5
3 v 6

Highest ranked winner gets week off,

2nd highest ranked winner gets home semi-final.

7 v 8 loser eliminated

week 2

semi 1
2nd Highest ranked winner V 3rd highest ranked loser

semi 2
3rd highest ranked winner V 2nd highest ranked loser

semi 3
4th highest ranked winner V Highest ranked loser

LOSERS ELIMINATED

WEEK 3

prelim final 1

Highest ranked winner V Winner of semi-final 2

prelim final 2
Winner of semi-final 3 V Winner of semi-final 1

losers of both games out
week 4
GRAND FINAL
Winner of preliminary final1 V Winner of preliminary final 2

if the nrl are going to use the current afl system then they have to allow teams that earn the right to host finals in each of the first 3 weeks

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't be silly that would mean the NRL (N for NSW) wouldn't get to play a game in Sydney as the game continues to advance its boundaries beyond the suburbs!

borat

Bench
This is like freakin groundhog day!!! As stated earlier the ARL had the current AFL system in 95/96 and the AFL had the MacIntrye. Rugby League supporters complained and wanted MacIntrye because the only advantage you get for coming first over scraping into 4th is you play at home. The following year we adopted the MacIntyre, which duely rewards the top 2 teams, and AFL took our system.

Neither is perfect but MacIntyre is certainly better.

And Dynamic Rooster as far as your system goes, why the hell would any team want to finish 1st over 3rd when 1st has to play 4th but 3rd gets 6th?

borat

Bench
griff said:
But lose and depending on what happens elsewhere, you may or may not still be around. Manly should have gone in last night knowing that if they win, x will happen, and if they lose, y will happen.

Why? They knew they could be eliminated if they lost. End of.

Dynamic Rooster

Juniors
borat said:
This is like freakin groundhog day!!! As stated earlier the ARL had the current AFL system in 95/96 and the AFL had the MacIntrye. Rugby League supporters complained and wanted MacIntrye because the only advantage you get for coming first over scraping into 4th is you play at home. The following year we adopted the MacIntyre, which duely rewards the top 2 teams, and AFL took our system.

Neither is perfect but MacIntyre is certainly better.

And Dynamic Rooster as far as your system goes, why the hell would any team want to finish 1st over 3rd when 1st has to play 4th but 3rd gets 6th?

if u look on it this year

storm is better then brisbane who finished 3rd and dragons who are 6th beat em and manly beat dogs a few weeks ago!!!!!! think u fool!!! it doesnt matter where 1st finished they have it easy and it makes better games for the finals and better contests other then 1 v 8 and 2 v 7!!!!!! geeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz

Game_Breaker

Coach
In the AFL, one flaw is that the best games can be in the first week and the teams that make it to the GF could possibly be "depleted".

Look at the Swans game yesterday, it was an intense match but was it too early?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'm all for the current AFL system. As someone already pointed out, you get better quality games and the top 4 get a fair go.

greenos

Juniors
Dynamic Rooster said:
i dont like either of the systems both have there ups and downs i have made my own what do u think

week 1

1 v 4
2 v 5
3 v 6

Highest ranked winner gets week off,

2nd highest ranked winner gets home semi-final.

7 v 8 loser eliminated

week 2

semi 1
2nd Highest ranked winner V 3rd highest ranked loser

semi 2
3rd highest ranked winner V 2nd highest ranked loser

semi 3
4th highest ranked winner V Highest ranked loser

LOSERS ELIMINATED

WEEK 3

prelim final 1

Highest ranked winner V Winner of semi-final 2

prelim final 2
Winner of semi-final 3 V Winner of semi-final 1

losers of both games out
week 4
GRAND FINAL
Winner of preliminary final1 V Winner of preliminary final 2
I am pretty sure this system causes teams to play each other twice before grandfinal.

Crusher

Coach
Its funny that in the end I'm glad Manly lost as they now face St George. Ha they won they would have met the Broncos and thats a game I was dreading

Finals system definitely flawed.

Latest posts