What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

SOULS 04

Juniors
i hate the fact that in alot of cases your fate depends on how other teams go.

for instance 3rd can be playing 6th and 6th can lose and still be playing the next week. because of other results. Semi finals should be about playing for something.

3rd can win and still not get a week off.

first round should be 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd for a week off and first crack at the grand final.

5th vs 8th and 6th vs 7th should be elimination games and your fate is only in your own hands.

DeeJ

Bench
If you are good enough to win the premiership you should be able to beat any team in your way.

SOULS 04

Juniors
Of course you are and thats fine. Grand Final isnt really part of my issue. I think semis are more exciting if both teams are playing for the same thing.

Gaba

First Grade
thats what the finals mean , its for teams ot play thier best every week, unlike the afl system teams 1,2,3,4 know they dont have to play at thier best because they get the 2nd chance in week 2 if they lost

team 1 and 2 should get more advantage then teams 3 and 4

the mcintyre system is fairer for all teams , because team 6 has the chance to get the 2nd week off

if people complain about the lower ranked teams beating the higer ranked teams then you might well not have a final series, just play team 1 v 2 in the grand final

Last edited:

for instance 3rd can be playing 6th and 6th can lose and still be playing the next week. because of other results. Semi finals should be about playing for something.

first round should be 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd for a week off and first crack at the grand final.

5th vs 8th and 6th vs 7th should be elimination games and your fate is only in your own hands.

Why are you complaining about 6th being able to play in the second week when there are six teams remaining in the competition?

Devilous

Juniors
I like it as it is.

If you are a top side and you can't win your match, can't blame anyone but yourself.

Like in all final series, just keep winning or you deserve to drop out.

I slightly prefer the NRL system.

The AFL system (over the NRL system) favours the 3rd and 4th placed teams, whilst the NRL system favours the 1st and 2nd placed teams.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages

LeagueNut

First Grade

No no no no no no no.

There's nothing wrong with the McIntyre system. It's the fairest way all round.

grandorient

Bench
Disagree,

Just the first two teams to play in the GF, unless there is a difference of say 10 points between the two. In that case, first past the post.

Alternately, just simply first past the post.

Will never happen though, due to the huge financial gains for the NRL during the finals series.

GO

SOULS 04

Juniors
I like it as it is.

If you are a top side and you can't win your match, can't blame anyone but yourself.

Like in all final series, just keep winning or you deserve to drop out.

that was kinda my point that 6th can lose and still play the next week.

anyways i was mainly seeing if this was as lopsided as i thought it would be and i was wrong. The NRL have caus to keep it with the supprt its getting in here. But ever since its introduction i've seen articles and dramas that people have with it and not a lot of support.

guess im wrong on this one.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I prefer the AFL way. Being able to get knocked out from 3rd is ridiculous.

Or the way I'd have it, the premiership goes to the Minor Premiers.

jargan83

Coach
Didn't Rugby League formerly use the version of finals that the AFL currently uses up untill 1999? It seemed that year both codes just shook hands and swapped finals systems

wittyfan

Referee

But the uncertainty is what makes it more exciting!

Parra

Referee
I prefer the AFL way. Being able to get knocked out from 3rd is ridiculous.

Or the way I'd have it, the premiership goes to the Minor Premiers.

yet you see value in 3rd?

Minor premiers deserve a bigger advantage than they currently get in either system.

No-one complained about the Top 5 system.

We need something that is just as good.